[GENERAL] Witcher swords - discussion & questions

+
You need three runes for the silver sword, just as you need three pieces of meteorite ore; the blacksmith can't do anything with just one rune.

Hey Everyone, Forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, or common sense for that matter , lol..But wondering something.. I'm noticing some nice swords out there, however, i also notice that most of them have a -Damage modifier on them, besides the other nice bonuses they have.. So does that mean i would be doing less damage with that sword, then say a Meteorite Sword, since it doesn't have a -damage modifier or, is it just some sort of typo? I highly doubt it, but just curious.. And once again, forgive me if this has been asked before, I've been searching the forums for the answer, and just can't seem to find it, so figure I'd just ask :)thanks everyone, MP

Corylea -You are so right!I mis-remembered the reforge from the earlier game.Sorry folks - it was the nut behind the keyboard that was loose.dw (in lower case out of shame)

Sword damage is based on the silver/steel sword styles.When upgrading those skills, the damage increases.Since the "non-Witchter" swords are not made out of silver or meterorite steel, the damage decreases. However, not by "-30" but by "-30%"So a "normal" meterorite sword (lets just take the beginning one) would do the exact damage based on the skill.A -20% sword would do the damage based on skills minus 20%.A +20% sword would do the damage based on skills plus 20%.I hope I cleared it up a little ;)

There are some swords that have a penalty to damage but increase your chance of landing a critical effect of some kind.

but if you mean should you trade it in for a better one (i.e. sell it and buy a better one) then yes, the minute you can! ;D

TheSilver said:
Sword damage is based on the silver/steel sword styles.When upgrading those skills, the damage increases.Since the "non-Witchter" swords are not made out of silver or meterorite steel, the damage decreases. However, not by "-30" but by "-30%"So a "normal" meterorite sword (lets just take the beginning one) would do the exact damage based on the skill.A -20% sword would do the damage based on skills minus 20%.A +20% sword would do the damage based on skills plus 20%.I hope I cleared it up a little ;)
Yep, totally did, awesome and thanks :)MP

If you could apply static runes and ores to unique steel- and silverswords no one would use "plain" meteor and runeswords ;DBut you can apply all temporary enhancements (incl. Vodon, Perun and Svarog) on all swords.

I am so glad you answered this. I was mildly fuming about the fact that I found all of those meteorites and runes but could not find anyone to make the new sword. Now I understand. It does make sense that the named swords cannot be made more special than they already are. i was thinking in neutral. I loved my triple red sword, next time I will try another kind.

Before the Lady's, I had the two blue/one red rune sword, since that was what I could afford to get at the time. It was a very handy item, too. I wonder what the ones listed as 'based on combat style' go up to. I mean is there any advantage to another sword? To me the logical one to choose would be the most expensive, but I cannot tell if that is the case.Sorry if this belongs in another thread- I haven't checked, yet.

price is not a bad indicator, but for the top few, i think it becomes a matter of preference/playing style :)

etainne said:
I wonder what the ones listed as 'based on combat style' go up to. I mean is there any advantage to another sword?
'based on combat style' swords deal damage equal to used swords style attack. you can check it in character development menu, in talents description.+xx% damage means that damage of currently used sword style attack is increased by xx percent.

Anyone out there help me? I cant upgrade my swords. I have 3 runes (2 earth, 1 fire) but the blacksmith will only offer to buy them. Any suggestions??

Raider666 said:
Raider666 said:
Anyone found this sword. EVER?
Ard'aenye is possible to find only in Witcher v1.0
when you tell Alvin to become a witcher in act IV
. Many players have been trying to find Ard'aenye in Raven's Crypt in later versions of the game, but noone succeded.
Which dialog is it? The "Witchers never get sick, but a lot of pain", or the other one, not the knight one. Also, do you have to be neutral?

So, out of curiosity, let's say in chapter 1 you made a 3 blue meteorite sword, and in chapter 2 you found 3 red meteorites. If you've already made the blue sword, can you sell it and then make the red sword? (haven't tried it yet because I didn't want to lose what I have, not knowing if I would be able to get something better)Also (wrong thread, but sort of in line with my first question) if you save your original armor and buy the 5000 oren armor, can you sell the original armor later? (wondering if my Witcher is poor because he's a pack rat!)

Treasa,I do not truly remember. Since there has not been a true answer posted - this is what I recall (I may be wrong, but) -I do not think you can sell your old armor. Just suck it up and save 5000 gold for new armor.You can sell a Meterorite Sword. You don't get much though. You have to sell it to empty the space for the new sword (as you guessed).Save games are for experimenting. Save your game and try what you want. If it goes bad - just restore. Often, it is the best way to learn how the game works.I did not find the Meterorite Swords all that good. There is a sword, Ceremonial Sword of Deithwen, both for sale and can be found, that is pretty good. I use it for most of the game rather than the the Witcher's Steel Sword.I hope the above is accurate.DW

Thank you for replying. Right, then. I'll try both and let everyone know what I find out. :)

Top Bottom