Generalized ammo types were a HUGE mistake (and looter shooter gameplay in general)

+
Lol, I wouldn't say all crafting should be removed. You could make an argument that a tech junkie class could pull up a crafting bench and make mods to their new arm implant or gun they just purchased on the fly with no issue.

The issue becomes, as you mentioned, the genre blending and mistaking cyberpunk as a post-apocalypse survival. The latter is something beyond the scope of this genre. It would be a boneheaded move to try and implement it across all genres just because it happens to be the in thing at this moment. That would be just a senseless cash grab. If you want that in the game, look for the appropriate mod.

A gun is a gun. It doesn't shoot harder if you add a widget spinner to it. Scopes, extended magazines, laser dots and silencers? Sure but you can just buy those from a shop. As for cyberware? What, tightening the screws will make your gorilla arms do... what exactly? For the rest? You can't exactly start tinkering with your LUNGS.

A gun is a gun. It doesn't shoot harder if you add a widget spinner to it. Scopes, extended magazines, laser dots and silencers? Sure but you can just buy those from a shop. As for cyberware? What, tightening the screws will make your gorilla arms do... what exactly? For the rest? You can't exactly start tinkering with your LUNGS.

I should've been more specific. In the game, we get a sense that there are cosmetic modifications (of varying degrees) for any body modification, like a car. In addition, that special gun you can find (which I believe had illegal modifications?) was a pretty cool tip of the hat to what else is possible through modification, depending on how far devs wanted to push that envelope. This is all in respect to functionality. A gun would still be a gun, but if we're in a society that's "low life and high tech" in addition to an obession of materialism, then a gun owned by corpos should be significantly different in aesthetic (possibly even more functional!) than a drug-dealing street kid enamored by glitz and glam.

I'm not saying tinkering down to the last wire, but there is definitely room for personalization. I think the mods that are available for gorilla arms or the other cyberware implants you get was barely the tip of the iceberg for what's possible. I'm saying, at minimum, you should be able to change the color or add flair to your magazine, or barrel, or arms, or sights, on the fly. The rest is up for debate.

I should've been more specific. In the game, we get a sense that there are cosmetic modifications (of varying degrees) for any body modification, like a car. In addition, that special gun you can find (which I believe had illegal modifications?) was a pretty cool tip of the hat to what else is possible through modification, depending on how far devs wanted to push that envelope. This is all in respect to functionality. A gun would still be a gun, but if we're in a society that's "low life and high tech" in addition to an obession of materialism, then a gun owned by corpos should be significantly different in aesthetic (possibly even more functional!) than a drug-dealing street kid enamored by glitz and glam.

I'm not saying tinkering down to the last wire, but there is definitely room for personalization. I think the mods that are available for gorilla arms or the other cyberware implants you get was barely the tip of the iceberg for what's possible. I'm saying, at minimum, you should be able to change the color or add flair to your magazine, or barrel, or arms, or sights, on the fly. The rest is up for debate.

The gun you can find in the Heist mission IS different. All the Iconic guns have unique skins. However, all that customization stuff was cut along with all the other RPG elements when they decided to turn the game into an AC Odyssey level "turn brain off, follow map marker" snorefest where having a functioning brain is a detriment to your enjoyment.

I get that the guy who took over the project half-way through is some CDRed bigshot, but the dude simply doesn't understand the Cyberpunk genre.

Last edited:
Not a fan of a great many design choices on part of CRPR, but to counterpoint everyone who argues that there should be survival mechanics, many different ammo types and other such features characteristic of games such as Fallout, Stalker or Metro – there's a simple factor to consider: it all takes place in a non-post-apocaliptic city setting where you can go buy more ammo or medkits from a vending machine or a store around any given corner. Factors such as ammo scrarcity, thirst, inventory management et cetera are practically non-existent in such a gameworld and CDPR was correct to recognise that. Having said that I do think it's all balanced way too simplistically, allowing to carry way too much ammo at once and so on, but that's part of the direction they'd chosen.
Ammo being common is not a problem. The issue is that CDPR put in the game only 4 ammo types, instead of having different calibers like .45, 9mm, 5.56 etc. As I already explained, this makes all weapons feel similar and limits game design, since you can't have overpowered, but uncommon ammo kind of weapons. And yes, Nitro Express rounds for Johnny's Malorian would still be rare even in this setting.
12333.jpg
This is the kind of round that Johnny's gun uses. His Malorian is meant to be used against heavily armored Cyberpsychos, so it's pretty much an anti-tank pistol lol. Yet in the game his pistol does the same damage as any other gun.

Top Bottom