Geralt and Dandelion Auditions

+
I made a poll some months ago about this. Over 3/4 preferred voice acting, even if it isn't as great as in the main game. But I also provide a version for the small minority who doesn't want to hear it if it isn't fully professional. :)

adridu59 said:
LOL I tried but my voice isn't up to the task it seems ;)

It wasn't your voice, it was your equipment. ^^
Like I said in the pm, if you can find a way to have a good quality recording of your voice, you can of course have a part in the adventure. :)

Benzenzimmern said:
I made a poll some months ago about this. Over 3/4 preferred voice acting.

That sounds about right. Even if you hadn't done a poll, I'd believe you.

My point was only this: There's a line where the voice acting quality can become so bad that unvoiced would be better. My hope was that you wouldn't think it was so necessary that you'd use whatever you could get.

The purpose of my post wasn't so much to tell you that you're doing something wrong but to let you know your mod may still be just as good even if you don't get voices.

So much for encouragement. :rolleyes:

Many people refuse to play a game without voice acting. I made a few tests with my adventure and some players never knew what they had to do. I wondered why they couldn't find their way around in my adventure since there was enough dialogue explaining the goals you have to reach and you can still open your journal and read everything written down by Dandelion if you press J.
After quite some time thinking about this, one of the players gave me the very simple reason:

They did not read anything and couldn't understand it due to a lack of voice acting.

I am sure that most players would read my dialogue, even without voice acting, since mostly "hardcore players" play mods, but even I have to admit that if there is decent voice acting, I much prefer to listen to the actors. Especially since I animated the faces and bodies of the actors in dialogue to be very movie-like and if you read all the time, you miss a lot of that.

I really try to get good actors, that's why I began to search for them a long time ago. The most important role has to be Geralt. If he doesn't sound like he's supposed to, it doesn't work. I don't say that I won't make any voice acting at all if I can't find a decent Geralt, because I am very sure that I will find one when the adventure gets some more publicity. :)

Ps: I really like your constructive criticism, so there's no problem with that. ;)

I don't know what audio format is used by REDkit but for guards and "dummy" NPC dialogs you can kang Skyrim voices with this:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/950/

Through I don't know if there's a licensing problem with using their files?

I don't know, but I am 99% sure they wouldn't like this very much. ;)

I also tried not to have "dummy dialogue" in my adventure. Every npc has to have a quest, interesting dialogue, backround dialogue about the world or just funny stuff, but never just "filler dialogue".

Ps: My guards don't have an arrow to their knee, they are real guards of great honor and duty and... you will see. :D

Haha, now since the damn thing still isn't available I started making a music composition (will need some if I make custom adventures) :)

This guy has a crew of 8 and is looking for some mods for voice overs .
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?showuser=31165

Probably a bit too late to participate now I suppose - how would you feel about foreign accents anyway?

Wish I could, but I hate my own voice. It's certainly monotone enough for geralt. I lack proper equipment. A webcam with in build microphone from years and years ago is not going to cut it.

I have around 100 characters, so it's far from too late since I only have a few speakers.
I guess it depends on the accent. If the accent can sound remotely european, it is okay, since the witcher world is also very diverse. I have a few characters who come from foreign lands. :)

Benzenzimmern said:
I have around 100 characters, so it's far from too late since I only have a few speakers.
I guess it depends on the accent. If the accent can sound remotely european, it is okay, since the witcher world is also very diverse. I have a few characters who come from foreign lands. :)/>

I'm Dutch. Some friends and my ex said I should be a voice actor but I always look at them and say: nah, I hate my voice.

frynse said:
Probably a bit too late to participate now I suppose - how would you feel about foreign accents anyway?

frynse said:
I'm Dutch. Some friends and my ex said I should be a voice actor but I always look at them and say: nah, I hate my voice.

Guys, do it. I mean, try it.
I'm looking to do that myself and I wait 'till he finds me a character text that suits my voice, but even if you have accent or IDK it will bring more diversity to the game -as long as it suits the character-.

adridu59 said:
Guys, do it. I mean, try it. />
I'm looking to do that myself and I wait 'till he finds me a character text that suits my voice, but even if you have accent or IDK it will bring more diversity to the game -as long as it suits the character-.

Hmm investing in a microphone without knowing if my voice is any good. Hmm...

Senteria said:
Hmm investing in a microphone without knowing if my voice is any good. Hmm... />

You just need something that records without background noise, try if you have a laptop or ask a friend.. anyhting decent will do really.

Hm, who knows, I might just give it a shot then. I need something to do this weekend anyway.

Flixster said:
Think about it: you're asking fans (likely amateurs with amateur equipment) to do impressions of professional voice actors we're all very familiar with. It can be very distracting and mood-killing. I'll bet if it's good quality writing it will stand on its own. />
+1

Flixster said:
Many people refuse to play a game without voice acting......

Can you at least try a narrator first?

I wouldn't mind that, might be the perfect solution to please both sides.

Top Bottom