Geralt is kind of a jerk & unfair to Dandelion

+
Geralt is kind of a jerk & unfair to Dandelion

I feel like Geralt is kind of a jerk & unfair to Dandelion. Geralt is constantly insulting and degrading Dandelion all the time for no reason. Meanwhile, Geralt himself is no better than Dandelion.Geralt criticsizes Dandelion for wandering around, getting drunk, and being a womanizer. Yet Geralt does exactly the same things! So then how come Geralt doesn't also criticize himself for being a jerk? Why exactly does he hate Dandelion so much? Is he just projecting his own hate for his own self onto Dandelion?I find Dandelion to be a really nice, brave, intelligent gentleman. He doesn't deserve all the insults and unfair treatment that Geralt gives him.

Whisperwind said:
geralt does? Or you do? :D
Geralt does. At least in the English translation. It's possible that the other translations have Geralt being less derogatory to Dandelion but I wouldn't know.I don't think Dandelion would insult Geralt in the way that Geralt insults Dandelion.

Dandelion was my favourite character from the books (yes, even more than Percival Schuttenbach). And the point is, Geralt and Dandelion are just like two best male friends. They are being nasty to each other (althoug Dandelion, being more optimistic, less so), sometimes to the point of being rude. Quite often you wonder, if Geralt hates Dandelion so much, why doesn't he just tell him to stay away? And if Dandelion is being treaten so badly, why doesn't he just leave Geralt? But then a really smelly situation comes along and you can see that the two cannot live without each other. One or the other is literally brought from the brink of certain death by his friend.In the books, Dandelion often saves Geralt, or at least helps him to a significant degree, more than anyone else, even Geralt's lover. And he's a hero in his own right. He travelled a fair share of the world and made connections everywhere. And he's famous, too. And some of the best jokes in the books are Dandelion's.So, the game reflects the way Geralt treats Dandelion in the books, but doesn't really draw the full picture. For that, you need to read the books.

Geralt is really not that much of a warm fuzzy loving type. He tends to be sarcastic, pull no punches, and sometimes quiet, but he's a "Guy's Guy".... and I have noticed that the men often shows love and caring by being rude, sarcastic, and mean to each other.... all the way down to out and out fighting....

Starwolf said:
Geralt is really not that much of a warm fuzzy loving type. He tends to be sarcastic, pull no punches, and sometimes quiet, but he's a "Guy's Guy".... and I have noticed that the men often shows love and caring by being rude, sarcastic, and mean to each other.... all the way down to out and out fighting....
With the description you are making of Geralt, i find similarities with Doctor Gregory House :)

This where some responders are wrong - men are not "mean" to each other, they just tease each other. Women are mean, that's a fact :) But men, they just tease and they always know that it is a tease, but whenever there is a need, they support each other fully. As for the game then sorry but it is you, "original poster", who drinks and sleeps with every girl as you put it in the game, not Geralt as such :) So if you think that Dandelion is being hurt and Geralt is not pious enough, don't sleep with any woman, don't drink anything other then milk. You probably die of boredom but hey, at least you lived like a monk, right?

I've only read The Last Wish and played the game, so I don't know what Dandelion is like in the other books. But in the game, he often seems good-hearted but stupid to me; for example, he can barely remember to give Geralt the pendant that's supposed to protect Alvin. And when he leads Geralt to the kidnappers, he wants to go in and "help." What does he think he's going to do -- sing them to death?And in The Last Wish, he's even worse. There are at least two occasions where he does something that Geralt tells him repeatedly NOT to do, because it will bring BIG trouble, and Dandelion does it, anyway, and sure enough, there's big trouble. I actually found myself wondering why Geralt tolerates Dandelion, rather than the other way around.I'm glad to hear that Dandelion becomes a bit less useless in the later books!

Corylea said:
I've only read The Last Wish and played the game, so I don't know what Dandelion is like in the other books. But in the game, he often seems good-hearted but stupid to me; for example, he can barely remember to give Geralt the pendant that's supposed to protect Alvin. And when he leads Geralt to the kidnappers, he wants to go in and "help." What does he think he's going to do -- sing them to death?And in The Last Wish, he's even worse. There are at least two occasions where he does something that Geralt tells him repeatedly NOT to do, because it will bring BIG trouble, and Dandelion does it, anyway, and sure enough, there's big trouble. I actually found myself wondering why Geralt tolerates Dandelion, rather than the other way around.I'm glad to hear that Dandelion becomes a bit less useless in the later books!
Well, you don't really give Dandelion justice here ;)To be honest, most characters introduced in The Last Wish undergo a significant change, or at least are explored deeper - well, they evolve! - in later works. Dandelion might come off as stupid, naive and getting Geralt into trouble comedy-style, but it turns out there is A LOT more to him than meets the eye, and maybe the stupid, overly optimistic gigolo is merely a mask... I won't tell you anything more than that, I've spoiled enough :DAs for "going in and helping" - well, it has been said in this thread, but I'll repeat - that's what male friendship is all about. It's not about being objectively useful in such situations, it's about being THERE and standing side-by-side with your best friend.

I think Dandelion is quite lightheaded in many situations in the short stories and Geralt has to save him from trouble. I guess the other premium adventure expresses much of Dandelion's character ;D But I wouldn't say he is stupid. There are other situations where both men have serious discussions and it proves that Dandelion can indeed be a sane person.

Dandelion is basically the poster boy for the D&D 3.5 edition Bard...Except... well... some of them can excel in combat. :D

I like Dandelion. And when it comes down to it, he's willing to follow Geralt into the thick of things. There are a couple of moments in the game where I'd like to smack him, but the same goes for Geralt. I think they compliment each other well. I have the book on the way- hoping there will be some "Dandelion moments"...

i'm sure you'll find plenty of "Dandelion moments" in the book (and subsequent books)My favourite moment in the game is on the Dike in Act V ;)

There is one scene in the game between Geralt and Dandelion I find heart-warming.. when Geralt receives a loveletter from Triss / Shani in Murky Waters and he wants to write an answers and discusses the right wording with the poet :)

Top Bottom