Geralt of Rivia or Dragon Age's Inquisitor? (SPOILERS)

+

• Total voters

Granted, I would have preferred The Witcher III over Dragon Age: Inquisition, mostly because the former has side-quests that tell actual stories, like Philip Strenger's family issues, Geralt's interactions with Keira Metz, and the political intrigues of Redania and the Skellige Archipelago. Meanwhile, the best the latter would have are the party-member and advisers' side-quests, but other than that the rest of the side-quests are just generic fetch-quests designed pad out the game's length.

But in-terms of a protagonist, I would have likely picked the Inquisitor. Not that there's anything wrong with Geralt, but he's no leader uniting either a small group of adventurers or an entire organization like the Inquisitor. The best Geralt has are Yennefer, Triss Merigold and Ciri, but other than that he's purely a loner, a drifter staying away from friends and allies as well as leaders and politicians. The Inquisitor, on the other hand, was designed to be a leader of his/her massive organization that could be built into either a military organization, a diplomatic organization, or a spy organization, and as a result carried around not only three advisers, but also nine companions that are as part of his/her Inner Circle as said advisers.

Although, really, by saying I liked the Inquisitor over Geralt of Rivia, I'm technically saying that I find all of those leaders and politicians of the Northern Kingdoms, most particularly King Foltest, more appealing than Geralt of Rivia. Hell, I might as well be saying that Iorveth and Saskia the Dragon-Slayer would be more appealing than Geralt, as well, mostly because of their leader statuses. It's just that I'm so accustomed to main-protagonists being leaders, whether of a small band of adventurers or a massive nation or organization, that Geralt of Rivia would feel weird to me because of his neutral loner status.

Seriously! Say what you will about the Northern Kingdoms' convoluted politics and ongoing three wars with Nilfgaard and the Scoia'tael. At the very least a single nation, let alone a group of them, felt much larger and more important to me than a mutated monster hunter desperately rescuing his family. Again, nothing wrong with Geralt rescuing his family while getting paid to kill monsters for politicians and random strangers. It's just that I would have preferred the war and politics that make up the Continent. And, that as a result, I would have preferred the Inquisitor, because he/she was as much a leader as the majority of Northern Kingdom leaders who stab each other in the back for control of the North, Feudal European-style.

Geralt feels far realer to me than any PC in the DA saga. Maybe the Warden from DA:O is comparable as far as seeming flesh and blood to me, but yet still does not surpass the witcher.

all of those leaders and politicians of the Northern Kingdoms, most particularly King Foltest, more appealing than Geralt of Rivia.
Erm, but Gralt is not meant to be leader. It was never part of his character and is not what he wants. He would be rather simple man, if not his mutations and some circumstances, that leads to his adventures among those, who have power (mages, politicians etc.)
About topic question - I am not sure, if i Can compare soft and sour, but I will try. In Inquisition you have a character you creates yourself. He is rather simple, just because it is not possible for game devs to make hundred different options with same depth as a writer, who writes a novel and develops his protagonist for years.
Geralt, on the other hand is a character that was created years ago, with care and love of the talented writer, with deep and interesting pre-history and have an appealing traits for me, and that is why I choose him over any other RPG protagonist.

One of the things that sets The Witcher apart from most games is that it doesn't put you in a role of a great hero destined to save the world, something that is unfortunately rare in RPG games. The fact that Geralt is a loner who only cares about his personal issues rather than deciding the world's fate is very appealing to me (even though the game often puts him in those situations), it is one of the character traits I really like about him. Plus I find him much more likable and more developed character than Inquisitor can ever hope to be. DAI was a decent game, but none of the characters you can have as companions was ever appealing to me, the story was generic and I really had to force myself to finish the game.

Guest 3847602

I haven't played DAI, but the appeal of The Witcher series and Geralt of Rivia to me is exactly because he's an outsider and not some generic hero on "save the world" quest. I see him as a breath of fresh air in the market overcrowded with ego-stroking power fantasies.

I'm quite a stubborn and lonely hermit like creature myself who tries to stay neutral, so maybe that's why I like Geralt more :D But I also liked DAI very much.

I'm a bit confused with this issue, 'cause I haven't ever even thought about my characters leadership. Are they leaders or loners, it's just the same if the game is good and story works. I can equally enjoy both ways.

not really a far poll on a fan based witcher 3 forum :p.
it's like asking by burger king what their favorite burger.

Lol you say Geralt is a loner and not a leader... There's a reason he's called the White Wolf,a wolf leading wolves he is exactly what a leading character should be and the diffuculties that he surpasses proof that point even the biggest ruller from the Witcher 3 the Emperor of Nilfgard evaluate him and turn to him for help.
The Inquisitor from Dragon Age cant win a single battle alone,Geralt even alone determine the move of the battle and he always is in the center of every important event.

They are both nice games.

One is sugar-coated tale for kids and politically correct people, the other is for more mature people.

I let you guess which one is what and which one I prefer the most.

IMO the Inquisitor is a terrible protagonist. It's "I have a deus ex machina that can fix everything" type of thing wich I HATE. His/her position as a leader didn't feel earned to me. There's no growth, no struggle. He/she is the leader, because he/she has a magical hand. BioWare, you can do better than this I hope. And I can't say much about the Inquisitor's character, since he/she doesn't really have one. So yeah, Geralt all the way!
:victory:

They are both nice games.

One is sugar-coated tale for kids and politically correct people, the other is for more mature people.

I let you guess which one is what and which one I prefer the most.
"Sugar-coated tale for kids"?

So really, that other protagonist I could have compared Geralt to would either be Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect trilogy, or even Adam Jensen from Deus Ex. Right?

One of the things that sets The Witcher apart from most games is that it doesn't put you in a role of a great hero destined to save the world, something that is unfortunately rare in RPG games. The fact that Geralt is a loner who only cares about his personal issues rather than deciding the world's fate is very appealing to me (even though the game often puts him in those situations), it is one of the character traits I really like about him. Plus I find him much more likable and more developed character than Inquisitor can ever hope to be. DAI was a decent game, but none of the characters you can have as companions was ever appealing to me, the story was generic and I really had to force myself to finish the game.
More or less this. In terms of storylines they are not even comparable, characters in DAI are boring. Only in terms of "useless antagonist" they are similar.

Inquisitor is the same as every single other BW protagonist. You are "The One", leader, last hope.. etc character. The game never goes away to stop reminding you of it and aside from Trespasser there is not one single time where it was shown that Inquisitor has any kind of weakness, you are essentialy a demi-god.

Inquisitor also falls in the same trap where you start as an XYZ character where the game tries to convince player to "put yourself" into a role, a lot of people like that system but i personaly don't, there are some exceptions like Warden and Courier from NV. But this usually means your will have a very boring and blank character. I don't want to play with boring characters, Geralt is interesting because he is well written and established, YOU are not.

Another reason i prefer Geralt because he is not a Marry Sue, i guess you can say that title belongs to Ciri since even devs themselves admitted it.
But what seperates Ciri is that she refuses to be one and just wants people to leave her alone and live like a normal person.

Guest 3847602

So really, that other protagonist I could have compared Geralt to would either be Commander Shepard from the Mass Effect trilogy, or even Adam Jensen from Deus Ex. Right?

The best RPG protagonists (beside Geralt) for me would be The Nameless One and JC Denton. Adam Jensen is alright, Shepard was fine until ME3 when extensive auto-dialogue turned him into paragon wuss :) #renegadeforlife

Dragon Age Inquisition ultimately made me a witcher fan, so yeah... Geralt of course. I think even Witcher 1 is a better game than DAI.

"Sugar-coated tale for kids"?
But it really is a sugar-coated tale for kids. Super-tolerant, sparkling, soft fantasy with a protagonist who has no personality, no past and rather undetermined future. Even romances felt artificial and plain. Every character in one-dimensional, without any depth, even when I thought, that someone is interesting - puff! - aaand it is gone - no character development.
I love TW both games and books for carefully written characters, charismatic and versatile, not only main ones, but secondary/tertiary ones.

Geralt of Rivia, simply because Geralt's character is awesome. In DA:I the choices for the Inquisitor are plainly dull and simplistic in terms of character, as if they built him up to modern day acceptable behavior instead of actually giving a variety of choices and helping to relate to the PC.

As many here said already: Geralt is not hero, he is profesional and loner. He just is so damn good profesional, that he is hired, hunted, respected by all the leaders of the Witcher's world. And thus he gets a role in the worldshaping events, though he himself tries to avoid them as much as possible.
In the books it is disclosed maybe more :) I rmemebre a scene near the end of the book story, where Geralt meets his old friend dwarfes in the inn after long time and there is a dialog something like:
- Hi Geralt, how are you, what's new?
- Nothing..
- Damn you, Geralt talks as always... He saves the kingdoms, kills the dragons, ruins the plots wonders through half of the world and still "nothing new" for him...
:)

I'll take the guy who has trained hard all his life in a profession he did not choose, who only wants make a living, enjoy what little life has to offer and has collected a strong loyal group of friends willing to risk their lives for him. He continually saves people who look down on him and/or are afraid of him. And he does it with humor and humility. Plus he is one heck of a fighter. And then he has Roach, is there another character that has a horse that will kick him off the saddle in a middle of a fight? Oh and he has groupies, or he did in Witcher 1.
Yep, no comparison.

Geralt all the way! one of the most complex and awesome and charismatic characters ever, the inquisitor is just a generic character
besides, you are in the forums of the witcher, geralt's victory is assured :cheers3:

Top Bottom