Geralt of Rivia ( Spoilers from books and games )

+
The story's core was nailed early on, and had the goal of bringing Yennefer and Ciri in where they had been excluded before. And it was to be more personal and less political, the lead writer Marcin Blacha tells me. "We wanted to make a game about a disabled family," he says in his low, ponderous voice. "There is Geralt and Yennefer and Ciri, and they're not like usual people, but they love each other. It's difficult love, but they do. We wanted to make an epic story about a family."

And I wish they wouldn't discard this idea

I'm glad they did. I was looking to play a game that brought to a conclusion all the things hinted at about Geralt and the Wild Hunt since TW1, I definitely wasn't looking to play some sort of family reunion game. I realise this is an important angle for the book readers, but it certainly wasn't for any of the people I know who've played TW3 and who are more likely to represent the majority of TW3 players in that they mainly wanted to shag everything, kill everything and then play the next game in their pile.

As it was, I feel cheated out of an epic Big Bad as they tried to shoehorn too much in and ended up with a rushed final act where the Hunt felt secondary to Ciri walking into a tower and er.. well, that's it, game over.

---------- Updated at 12:30 PM ----------

For instance, there were once more islands in Skellige, including one called the Isle of Trials, where you'd be imprisoned by none other than Yennefer. Blacha explains: "There was this moment when they had different goals and Yennefer made a trap for Geralt - I don't remember exactly what, it was something connected to Ciri - to imprison [him] for some time. She made Geralt a prisoner on that island, and Geralt had to escape from this island." Either you could escape by taking the eponymous trials of the island, or you could face off against a monster called Nidhogg (a name borrowed from Norse mythology, suggesting the monster was a gigantic snake of a beast).

I wish they wouldn't have cut that quest.

Now that would have been interesting. Would have gone some way to explaining why Yennefer didn't immediately contact Geralt for help in finding Ciri, and also Ciri's throwaway comment later about not being sure what people intend for her, "even Yennefer". It could have been balanced by an option to somehow either sway Yennefer to your view, or you to hers, for those who wanted to pursue that romantic angle whilst those choosing Triss would become trapped, and those who wanted to stay "romantic neutral" would be able to take either path.

Imagine it would have been a nightmare to implement, but would also have added proper consequences to a player's choice of romance.

As for me - this is (one of) the most badass and saddest moment(s) in the books:

"‘Be careful,’ the witcher grunted, trying to discern what was wrong with Yennefer. ‘Be careful, Regis...’
‘Be careful?’ said the vampire. ‘I? That’s not why I came here!’
With an incredibly long and fast leap he reached the wizard and grabbed him by the throat. His vampire fangs glistened.
Vilgefortz scream with rage and terror. For a brief moment, it appeared this was the end of him. But it was premature. The wizard had an arsenal of weapons for every occasion. And against every opponent – even vampires.
The wizard hands grasped Regis and heated up like red hot irons. The vampire screamed. Geralt also cried out, seeing that the wizard was literally tearing the vampire. He jumped to his friend’s aid. But was too late. Vilgefortz pushed the vampire into a column, with both of his hands burning with white fire.
Regis screamed.
He screamed so loud that the witcher had to cover his ears with his hands. The remains of the windows shattered noisily. The column simply melted. And the vampire melted with it, turning into a shapeless stone.
Geralt cursed furiously and desperately. He jumped forward and swung Sihil..."

“What a company I ended up with,’ Geralt continued, shaking his head. ‘Brothers in arms! A team of heroes! What have I done to deserve it? A poetaster with a lute. A wild and lippy half-dryad, half-woman. A vampire, who’s about to notch up his fifth century. And a bloody Nilfgaardian who insists he isn’t a Nilfgaardian.”
― Andrzej Sapkowski, Baptism of Fire

Guys, during conversation with Yenn, before feast on Skellige - Yenn mentioned that Geralt doesn't like "underdone meat". In Russian localization she mentioned another dish - "potato pancakes with sugar". I wonder - what dishes, that Geralt so doesn't like, she mentioned in other localizations? :pizza:

Last edited:
Geralt's favorite potion: the sorceress.

"Geralt buttoned up his wolf's fur clothing and wrapped a wool scarf wound around his neck. He felt very well. The lovemaking had, as usual, brought him up to peak physical, mental, and spiritual condition, wiping out all traces of doubt, making his mind clear and lively. He only regretted only that he would not experience this wonderful panacea again for a long time." -Lady of the Lake chapter 4

The lady in question is of course Fringilla VIgo.

I know now why i don't like Geralt in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. In the Game i don't like him it's a fact.

CDPR failed to show something, something there is in the Books after the novel " something more".

That CDPR could integrate in the characterization of Geralt of Rivia, after this Novel he is tired and sick of his Job, being a Witcher.

That modifies and changes his vision of himself and the world, where he lives, who he loves, and how he loves them...

In a certain way he starts to be a man, and neither the Servile Golem of he liked to be defined...

I hope i was clear enough with what i thought about Geralt.

I know now why i don't like Geralt in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. In the Game i don't like him it's a fact.
CDPR failed to show something, something there is in the Books after the novel " something more".
That CDPR could integrate in the characterization of Geralt of Rivia, after this Novel he is tired and sick of his Job, being a Witcher.
That modifies and changes his vision of himself and the world, where he lives, who he loves, and how he loves them...
In a certain way he starts to be a man, and neither the Servile Golem of he liked to be defined...
I hope i was clear enough with what i thought about Geralt.

I think this wouldn't work for video game. How many players will enjoy to play three games by witcher-protagonist, which sick to be a witcher? Witcher who usually whines about fate, injustice, etc. :teeth:

It works if the writers have a brain, nothing more to say.

It's a vision, he always can whines about fate, injustice, etc...like you said, and He always uses Potions, Swords, Magic, but they must tell a story about a man absolutely lost without his wifes.

That story is much more interesting.

In the game Geralt decline in his wrong way, the witcher way...:facepalm2:

but they must tell a story about a man absolutely lost without his wifes.

If you mean Ciri and Yen - he didn't fully remember them due to the end of TW2 :D. So he's okay and he has job to do (Salamandra and Kings slayers).

That story is much more interesting.

It could work for book readers. And not for all. I personally like how CDPR handle Geralt in games. I like to see real witcher, who enjoys his witcher's way.

He always uses Potions, Swords, Magic

In two last books (The Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake ) he used only sword and Fringilla's amulet. No potions...no signs...stupid witcha-Geralt.

I personally like how CDPR handle Geralt in games. I like to see real witcher, who enjoys his witcher's way.

Maybe for Ciri, but Geralt is too old, too tired, etc...

For me He must let down his Path as the story continues, that makes him more human in many ways...

That Geralt is possible if you think about him, what he sees, what he failed, etc... even in game.

Guest 3847602

Maybe for Ciri, but Geralt is too old, too tired, etc...

For me He must let down his Path as the story continues, that makes him more human in many ways...

That Geralt is possible if you think about him, what he sees, what he failed, etc... even in game.

Well, you can just play the main story and ignore witcher contracts, you're not forced to play any of them except Griffin hunt. In the end, if you decide to stay with Yennefer, Geralt does retire.

Well, you can just play the main story and ignore witcher contracts, you're not forced to play any of them except Griffin hunt. In the end, if you decide to stay with Yennefer, Geralt does retire.

Yeah, sure, but i talk about the main story. He slowly retires while the main story progress.

Do you visualize what i mean ?

Is a ~100 years old witcher really too old, especially when compared to someone like Vesemir ? Although Geralt seems to age surprisingly much between TW2 and TW3 in only 6 months.

Guys, how Geralt escaped from "the place where apple trees bloom eternal" after Wild Hunt took Yen? Is it pointed somewhere? I don't recall.
I doubt that Eredin proposed Geralt his portal-service. [If I understand correct - "Isle of Avallach/Avalon" is located in another realm...]

Last edited:
There two Geralts to me. Amnesia Geralt from witcher1 and 2. And regular geralt from books and witcher 3. Now amnesia to me is such a lazy plot device but in first two games geralt is kind of torn between being an instinctual witcher and what he becomes by end of books but is more of a reg witcher. By the second he becomes more of himself and then gets his memory back. By the third he is back to his book end self kind of throwing out his beliefs behaviors and some of his actions in past two games. Geralt is a witcher but not a normal one, prob due to who his mother is. He has def emotions (although he can't physically cry you can see it in his face) screws neutrality to help those he cares about and a bunch if other things. Ppl thinking geralt wouldn't do certain things cuz he is a neutral witcher don't realize he threw that out a long time ago and he is also not an emotionless killer full time anymore. A couple of girls, particularly ciri wore all those traits out of him. Although cdpr tried to push that he still had those traits when he doesn't for some reason. I guess for ppl that only played all or a few of the games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom