Geralt of Rivia ( Spoilers from books and games )

+
selfie :p

Does anyone think Geralt started to become less stoic and emotionless in this game than the previous two?even in the voice acting he seemed far more emotive than usual.

There's this thing about Witchers not being able to show emotion but he seemed to have seriously happy moments with Ciri and at points ( when he first found Ciri) he seemed quite expressive somehow more than he's been in the other games. I wondered if it was him started to adapt to showing emotion and sympathy, etc, or if he's emulating if because he thinks that's the right response.

He also seemed far better with children this time around (gentler and far more patient). He seemed to have evolved a bit. I liked it. It made his happy ending a bit easier to buy haha.

Does anyone think Geralt started to become less stoic and emotionless in this game than the previous two?even in the voice acting he seemed far more emotive than usual.

There's this thing about Witchers not being able to show emotion but he seemed to have seriously happy moments with Ciri and at points ( when he first found Ciri) he seemed quite expressive somehow more than he's been in the other games. I wondered if it was him started to adapt to showing emotion and sympathy, etc, or if he's emulating if because he thinks that's the right response.

He also seemed far better with children this time around (gentler and far more patient). He seemed to have evolved a bit. I liked it. It made his happy ending a bit easier to buy haha.

It was hinted at a few times in the books that Geralt wasn't as emotionless as he put on. I do think he was more emotive in this game, but nothing over the top.

I think him regaining his memories had a lot to do with it. He once again became "fully" himself - which is more emotional,caring etc

Geralt is able to emote, which is why he is so unique among Witchers ~ Possibly due to the fact that Geralt is the sole survivor of further experimentation ~ I am assuming the Amnesia had a toll on this part of his personality which is why he suddenly becomes more lively - Also in 3, unlike 2, he has all of his memories back and the loves of his life, back in his life, which is why is snaps out of being all broody like he was in the time leading up to his meeting with Yennefer.

In the books he has moody turns, times of true joy and times of pure anger and hate - I am assuming these emotions are why Geralt gets involved in things that are not 'Witchers business' as he has a degree of humanity that the other Witchers simply lack ~ Which is super depressing for the other Witchers now that I think about it ~

But yeah ~ Normal Witchers are stripped of emotion - Geralt uses that as his excuse to not get involved in certain things, but he defiantly has emotions and humanity.

Yen kicked this shit about lack of emotions due to mutations out of him :lol:

‘Don’t shout, Yen, don’t be aggressive. And don’t drag up that story from Vengerberg, we swore not to go back to it, after all. I don’t bear a grudge against you, Yen, I’m not reproaching you, am I? I know you can’t be judged by ordinary standards. And the fact that I’m saddened . . . the fact that I know I’m losing you . . . is cellular memory. The atavistic remnants of feelings in a mutant purged of emotion—’

‘I can’t stand it when you talk like that!’ she exploded. ‘I can’t bear it when you use that word. Don’t ever use it again in my presence. Never!’

‘Does it change the fact? After all, I am a mutant.’

‘There is no fact. Don’t utter that word in front of me.’

Funny, I actually thought Vesimir has a lot of emotion showning for a witcher. At least in his game. I never thought Geralt to be unique regarding it. If anything I thought Vesimir far more emotive (or whatever the word would be) than any of the others, even Geralt.

I'm glad I wasn't misunderstanding the character ough, usually when I say these things, I get flamed and told I don't know what I'm talking about, lol.

I love some of Geralt's one-liners, this one is from The Last Wish.

Geralt unfastened the purse on his belt and, holding it by the straps, weighed it in his palm.
"You won't bribe me," the Cerberus said proudly.
"I don't intend to."
....He didn't even have time to blink before the witcher's blow landed. The heavy purse struck him in the temple with a metallic crash....
"Money," [Geralt] muttered, "opens all doors."

"You're pathetic, with your little stolen sacks of seeds on pack horses, your handfuls of grain, the tiny crumbs on which you plan to survive. All of your supposed callings which will turn aside your impending annihilation. Because you know this is the end. Nothing will sprout or yield up crops to you on the plateau, nothing will save you now. Nothing besides your famed longevity. Well live long then, live long in arrogant isolation, until there are fewer and fewer of you; growing weaker and weaker and all the more bitter.

And you know damn well what will happen then, Filavandrel. Desperate young men with the eyes of hundred year old's and withered, barren girls like Touruviel will lead those who can still hold a sword and bow in their hands, down into the valleys. You'll wish to meet your end honourably in battle, not in sick beds of misery, where anaemia, tuberculosis and scurvy will send you. Then, oh long-living Aen Seidhe, you'll remember me. You'll remember that I pitied you. And you'll understand that I was right."
— Geralt of Rivia (The Edge of the World)

Geralt is able to emote

I think it's clear that witchers can feel and express emotions. They just don't have uncontrollable physiological responses to feelings like fear or embarrassment, which is what makes it possible for them to do their jobs. I'm not sure Geralt is that much different from any other witcher in that respect.

In W1 and W2 he had amnesia, and had excuses for some things he do but now his memory is returned, what Geralt of Rivia would never do, would he after everything bring Ciri to Emhyr.

Geralt would never take Ciri to Emhyr ( that facker could recall what he wanted from Ciri at first place). Yen would really cut her veins then tell to Geralt "we need to report to Emperor" and/or go and report that Gerlat is heading to Kaer with something that could be Ciri.

“It goes down well,” he said, swallowing the piece of animal fat. “Eat the cheese. And an apple. Just one.”
“Why just one?”
“Don't fidget. Eat both.”
“Geralt?”
“Hum?”
“Thank you.”
“It's nothing. Eat heartily.”
“No... not for this. For this too, but... You saved my life before, from the centipede... Brr... I almost died of fear...”
“There are many things that can kill you that way,” he confirmed seriously. There are many things that can kill you in even more horrible and tragic ways, he thought. “You can thank Braenn.”
“Who is she?”
“A dryad.”
“An evil fairy of the forest?”
“Yes.”
“They're the ones that we... They steal children! She abducted us? Except you're not small. Why does she speak so strangely?”
“She speaks as she speaks, it's not important. The important thing is how she shoots. Don't forget to thank her when we stop.”
“I will not forget,” she replied, sniffling.
“Don't squirm, princess, future wife of the prince of Verden.”
“I will never be the wife of some prince,” she grumbled.
“Well, well, you won't marry anyone. You will become a hamster and take refuge in a burrow.”
“That's not true! You don't know anything at all!”
“Don't scream in my ear. Don't forget about my belt.”
“I will not be the wife of any prince. I will be...”
“Yes? What?”
“It's a secret.”
“Ah! A secret. Great.” He lifted his head. “What's going on, Braenn?”
The dryad had stopped.
She shrugged, looking at the sky.
“I am breaking,” she replied sadly. “All because of what you picked up. Here we make camp: it's vespers.”

Attachments

• Brokilon.jpg
    Brokilon.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 108
Geralt is able to emote, which is why he is so unique among Witchers ~ Possibly due to the fact that Geralt is the sole survivor of further experimentation ~ I am assuming the Amnesia had a toll on this part of his personality which is why he suddenly becomes more lively - Also in 3, unlike 2, he has all of his memories back and the loves of his life, back in his life, which is why is snaps out of being all broody like he was in the time leading up to his meeting with Yennefer.

In the books he has moody turns, times of true joy and times of pure anger and hate - I am assuming these emotions are why Geralt gets involved in things that are not 'Witchers business' as he has a degree of humanity that the other Witchers simply lack ~ Which is super depressing for the other Witchers now that I think about it ~

But yeah ~ Normal Witchers are stripped of emotion - Geralt uses that as his excuse to not get involved in certain things, but he defiantly has emotions and humanity.

None of the Witchers are stripped of emotion. That's a myth spread among the common folk, just like the "Witcher's Code" which also doesn't exist. Both myths are used by Geralt when he needs an excuse to get out of a commitment, but both are untrue.

Just look at Lambert--he's one big steaming ball of emotion (mostly anger).

Thing is people mistake witchers cynicism and their jaded nature for lack of emotions. Basically all witchers become jaded, they go through literal hell just being made a witcher add to that the general disgust the life of a witcher receives and multiply it by a few decades will make anyone extremely jaded. So for situations for which normal folks will react emotionally, the witchers have basically seen it already, felt it already.

If you notice the witchers do show a lot of emotions especially when they in the company of those who could relate what they go through. But general folk its better to wear a mask of emoitionless rather than be hurt by the eventual disgust folks throw at the witchers, easier to get by that way.

“It goes down well,” he said, swallowing the piece of animal fat. “Eat the cheese. And an apple. Just one.”
“Why just one?”
“Don't fidget. Eat both.”
“Geralt?”
“Hum?”
“Thank you.”
“It's nothing. Eat heartily.”
“No... not for this. For this too, but... You saved my life before, from the centipede... Brr... I almost died of fear...”
“There are many things that can kill you that way,” he confirmed seriously. There are many things that can kill you in even more horrible and tragic ways, he thought. “You can thank Braenn.”
“Who is she?”
“A dryad.”
“An evil fairy of the forest?”
“Yes.”
“They're the ones that we... They steal children! She abducted us? Except you're not small. Why does she speak so strangely?”
“She speaks as she speaks, it's not important. The important thing is how she shoots. Don't forget to thank her when we stop.”
“I will not forget,” she replied, sniffling.
“Don't squirm, princess, future wife of the prince of Verden.”
“I will never be the wife of some prince,” she grumbled.
“Well, well, you won't marry anyone. You will become a hamster and take refuge in a burrow.”
“That's not true! You don't know anything at all!”
“Don't scream in my ear. Don't forget about my belt.”
“I will not be the wife of any prince. I will be...”
“Yes? What?”
“It's a secret.”
“Ah! A secret. Great.” He lifted his head. “What's going on, Braenn?”
The dryad had stopped.
She shrugged, looking at the sky.
“I am breaking,” she replied sadly. “All because of what you picked up. Here we make camp: it's vespers.”

How many people would still be alive if Geralt just let the monster kill her?

RIP Iola the second and Milo Vanderbeck. Never forget. Never forgive.

Geralt didn't comment. Dijkstra put another pod into his mouth.
"It's a pity," he continued, chewing, "that after dispatching them you didn't report to the mayor. There was a bounty on them, dead or alive. A considerable one."
"Too many problems with my tax return already," said the witcher

and also

"With them, Witcher, you have to use their own methods. Be obsessive, arrogant and rude, and then at least you'll impress them. Will you drink a glass of wine with me?"
"The gnat's piss they serve here?" smiled Geralt pleasantly. "With the greatest revulsion. Well, but if you like it... then I'll force myself."
Sabrina and Marti, listening intently from their table, snorted noisily. Dorregaray sized them both up with a contemptuous glance, turned, clinked his goblet against the Witcher's and smiled, this time genuinely.

How many people would still be alive if Geralt just let the monster kill her?

RIP Iola the second and Milo Vanderbeck. Never forget. Never forgive.

The war between Nilfgaard and the Norh would have been happened no matter what imo. All of them would have died no matter what, sooner or later. ;)

Top Bottom