Geralt´s VATS system

+
I'm not really sure what to think about this without seeing a video or playing it first hand. It seems so contradictory to everything I've seen in TW1 and TW2 combat and gameplay.

I guess I don't mind as long as the game and difficulty doesn't ever require that I use this technique in order to survive or succeed. As long as its optional, then its fine with me.

Since people seem to not want to read previous pages, I am going to say this again:

Hey thanks for the info, I didn't see that. This actually leads me to another question I was thinking of asking. Is there any kind of FAQ of TW3 info that is compiled so newbs like me can read through it before posting/asking questions that have already been answered by devs? I see there is the interview/video thread, but I don't see anything other than that. I would love to see a list of details announced so far, since it seems like there has been a decent amount of info already revealed.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the info, I didn't see that. This actually leads me to another question I was thinking of asking. Is there any kind of FAQ of TW3 info that is compiled so newbs like me can read through it before posting/asking questions that have already been answered by devs? I see there is the interview/video thread, but I don't see anything other than that. I would love to see a list of details announced so far, since it seems like there has been a decent amount of info already revealed.

Well, I've managed to keep a thread on another forum mostly up to date, though it's a bit messy and there are a few less important details that I haven't added, since it's not a dedicated Witcher forum and most people wouldn't care anyway: http://s7.zetaboards.com/toegoff/single/?p=8044530&t=8781960

^ "No Fractions: You won't have to decide for a fraction like the Order of the Flaming Rose or the Scoia'tael. A Witcher acts always independently." This part confused at first, I'm a grammar Nazi though.

^ "No Fractions: You won't have to decide for a fraction like the Order of the Flaming Rose or the Scoia'tael. A Witcher acts always independently." This part confused at first, I'm a grammar Nazi though.

There's a lot of copy/pasta going on there, haven't checked everything for spelling errors.

Also, it should be "This part confused me at first" :p

In one interview they mentioned that they're planning to combine this skill with alchemy. My guess is, after you learn about anatomy of a specific monster, you gotta for example cover your blade with an special oil and drink a potion that improves your reflexes to be able to hurt him in a specific part of the body. I think that's a good idea, it would encourage people more to make an use of alchemy and make this path interesting for greater amount of players.

Agreed.

Also, I would really love to be able to use bombs in a manner that you throw them at the exact part which is vulnerable and you can "deactivate" the ability. It would be like VATS only that it is more in line with the Witcher gameplay.

In the latest interview Paweł Sasko confimed they still going to implement this system.

Now I'm really confused.

I see the potential for a system of precision targetting in W3 but unless thought is put into it, it'll just turn into an I-WIN button. It'll get abused over and over.

While it's possible to fine-tune the difficulty of the actual cripple mechanic, that wouldn't be the best choice. Parrying/riposting in W2 was difficult to get right - for the most part it wasn't worth it. However enable crippling ("witcher vats") after a successful parry and the skill/reward ratio is just about right.

The cripple mechanic needs an element of risk, which is why I'd like it to be only viable when no other enemies can interrupt the animation. You draw an enemy out from the group, troll for a riposte, then cripple. If you get interrupted while crippling, you get stunlocked.

I agree actually. If you are able to cripple an enemy after a combo or after stunning it or something like that - and of course that action only comes available if you have informed yourself about the monster before, than that might work.

Yes.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threa...=1#post1235181

"- the initial V.A.T.S. (of Fallout fame)-like combat feature was overhauled (for monetary reasons), so that there are still specific weak spots and special features factoring in and to be mindful of during combat, but targeting a specific organ or something like that is not necessary anymore

- instead you're using special bombs and oils to exploit a weakness or to counter a special ability, like, for instance, the ridiculous health regeneration rate of one particular creature"

Well, than that's that.

Last edited:
Agreed.
Also, I would really love to be able to use bombs in a manner that you throw them at the exact part which is vulnerable and you can "deactivate" the ability. It would be like VATS only that it is more in line with the Witcher gameplay.
Now I'm really confused.
Funny, I just suggested this 'free-aim mode' in the other thread. Although now that I think of it, TW2 had this for throwing knives.

It would be great but it's already confirmed (sort of) that this 'vulnerable body parts' feature won't be in due to financial reasons (and development time I guess). Would be cool, though.

Last edited:
It would be great but it's already confirmed (sort of) that these vulnerable body parts feature won't be in due to financial reasons (and development time I guess). It would be great, though.

But didn't they say they will still be in in a way that we will have to use special bombs or oils to disable or counter a special ability?

Where is the Focus mechanic?

It seems that the Focus mechanic which was supposed to allow us to target various parts and organs of a monster using Witcher senses. Is it still in or has this feature been canned?

I think it was rumored, that it is scrapped or at least on hold.
It would be really hard to do it correctly.

looks like it was scrapped. not sure if that's good or bad, it sounded too much like Vats. This way we have more natural combat uninterrupted by cutscenes, but less depth I guess.

i hope some parts of it survived, and geralt destroy monster parts with normal attacks

I haven't played Metal Gear Rising so I cannot understand what you mean.
but maybe Geralt would automatically land a critical slash (instead of normal attack) on a weakened enemy in order to disable some of its movements or special attacks if you have acquired a certain skill in swordsmanship tree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom