Geralt’s English dubbing!

+
Dagon said:
Oh, this will be my first post in the international forum :) Congratulations for Dagon, that he made sure :> Ok ok... English dubbing is now the best, Englishman's can be proud of their dub. Oh, may our was so kind, or better :DGreetings for all users from different countries... 8)
And Greeting to you Dagon BTW the dubbing kind of remind me of Garrett (Stephen Russell ) from Thief But then Geralt remind me of Garrett LOL maybe that why I like this game befor I play it lol

It should be a Pole with a slight Polish accent to dub the game, IMO. I think the Poles have this Slavic spirit of calmeness and realism, combined with courage, warmth, resistance and proffesionalism. :] But I guess the authors decided to choose a normal guy from some English-speaking country because Polish accent would be too oriental and would not sell well. :]

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hints of ...Dark, brooding, sarcasm, bitterness, confident, intellegent...a voice with strong conviction!Like I said,Perfect ;)(Don't change a thing)Regards,

Garrett vs. Geralt ? nah, I think those 2 would have teamed up !!!! but I can't lie that the little Garrett that seems to be in theWitcher was one of the reasons to get interested by this game.

Rodders said:
It seems he has a small North American accent, which I think detracts from the 'authenticity' of the character. Better he speaks English with an Eastern European or British accent.
It is for that reason I would like to hear the voice actor pronounce something like "route" - I am just a little hacked off by the irony of American accented medieval people who roam RPG worlds, based on Europe ;)I would personally take subtiltles over bad voice acting any day....

Eric said:
North American accent is a phrase I'm still getting used to. But please no British accents as that would ruin the game. I'd have marry popins stuck in my head.
Heaven forbid a European accent in a world, based on an educated guess, of pre-1600AD ;)Also if you think of British accents as being Mary Poppins - you need to get out more... :)

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! im from the uk were shakspear comes from and you put a american accent on it you cant speak shakspear in american it sounds all wrong im sorry the game looks stunning but dont spoil it with the voice overs i think you peps need to have a rethink on the voice big time

and yes i agree if you think we sound like mary popins GET OUT MORE !!!!!!!! id do the voice for free lol

As I've got no comparisons (with efforts in other languages), I like those voice examples. Mostly would agree with Roland 44.

Is there already a fixed date for other localized speech versions - perhaps a German one...? ;)

quicksilver502 said:
i like it. it sounds like he's only just managing to stop himself from killing you so you better show respect.
And that is also why the voice is completely wrong...

I know that this voice is pretty much set in stone - and I also realise the ranting of few will not outway the fact using an Americanised accent will aid sales in the US no doubt, whilst not affecting the majority of other native English speaking countries - but (aimed at Admin here really), will there be subtitles availiable in the game for all languages? and if so, will they be availiable in any localised version, or a downloadable package?Many thanks for the answer if you do read over these Admin :)Mullet

I'm infinitely more concerned with the actual acting than the dialect, myself. As long as it's natural and doesn't seem like acting/reading, I'll be satisfied. I'll have to see the final product to be sure, but this fellow has potential.BTW, Middle English (which died with the Great Vowel Shift of the Renaissance) sounded nothing like Modern English, and Old English was another language altogether, so all modern accents are anachronistic in a Medieval world. It's fantasy. Let's lighten up and enjoy it. :)

Abigail said:
BTW, Middle English (which died with the Great Vowel Shift of the Renaissance) sounded nothing like Modern English, and Old English was another language altogether, so all modern accents are anachronistic in a Medieval world. It's fantasy. Let's lighten up and enjoy it. :)
Oh Abigaile you hit the nail on the head there lol if Im not mistaken now this was during my HS english class days now thats going way back when. Old English had more German in it wich almost sound like German.

I feel sorry for the nail :DAnd yeah, from what I know Old English originates from old German languages. And sounds like German too.As for the voice, I quite liked it, from what I remember (I listened to the samples ca. a week ago).

Seeker said:
Seeker said:
BTW, Middle English (which died with the Great Vowel Shift of the Renaissance) sounded nothing like Modern English, and Old English was another language altogether, so all modern accents are anachronistic in a Medieval world. It's fantasy. Let's lighten up and enjoy it. :)
Oh Abigaile you hit the nail on the head there lol if Im not mistaken now this was during my HS english class days now thats going way back when. Old English had more German in it wich almost sound like German.
Hence English being a Germanic language ;)But you could probably also say this about the Polish version - Aristocrats in the game should speak French not Polish (if I remember correctly) -- but this would be splitting hairs to go this deep into historical debates about the origins of language and where they should fit in a fantasy world based on Medieval Europe...The point I am trying to get to is that using that over the top, angry, American accent just seems completely and utterly wrong in a European produced and based game/world. However as I said above, I can see where there team is coming from as Americans are more likely to buy this game if the voice is as it is - also I doubt many people know the Geralt character well enough to know that he is not the currently depicted pyschopath who will kill for that sake of it, despite, I'm sure I read somewhere, you can make the moral choices as you progress through the game he faces in the books, etc.

I disagree with the statements that that Americans need characters to sound “American” to entice us to purchase a game. Add in the fact that there are numerous accents within the United States (e.g. Southern, Boston, mid-west, etc.) and I’m left wondering to whom are you referring to with regards to marketing in the United States? Moving to the original question posed in this post – his voice is much deeper than I was expecting. I see Geralt having an almost other worldly persona which would translate into a whisper – like a voice almost on the edge of your hearing and you can’t help but pause and wonder where it’s coming from. Regardless of expectations I’m sure the game will be fantastic.

Eric said:
North American accent is a phrase I'm still getting used to. But please no British accents as that would ruin the game. I'd have marry popins stuck in my head.
Exibit Abut please be aware this is not a slur on your country - just that a well known fact is Americans are more responsive to their own dialect - I use the example of (nearly) every British television show that has gone to your country, they have been re-recorded using American actors because the ones which had prior been a direct broadcast were received badly in comparision to later "Americanised" versions.And back on track - I am still personally gunning for subtitiles.....

Top Bottom