Geralt’s English dubbing!

+
Kardiophylax said:
Harkatim said:
Why American, i dont mean to offend anyone here but i cant take the accent seriously enough. Geralt for me should be a voice of authority, a certain level of malice, the English accent is most capable of getting this across. If you were trying to portray Geralt as an angst-ridden teen or an ass-kicking marine *chuckle* then sure, American is the way to go.Also, from what i have read so far in the 'Last wish' the witcher's world is very suited to medieval europe, theres history there. In terms of language theres little difference but in terms of inflection and integrity English is the only way forward, it has an implication of heritage, and of history. American is far too poppy and throwaway.You see, its all about class, the English have it, the Americans dont.I only hope you dont make him whoop and do bull-horns. God bless America.
Looks like Harkatim is trying to burn the forest down with those comments. Damn, I mean what a way to start a flame war. It is easy to tear apart any culture, and I could do the same with the English if I so chose. I wouldn't though, as I harbor no animosity towards them. I'm not sure why an Englishman would look down on the US so much.I'll instead ignore his "Americans don't have class" comments. Anyone who can classify 300 million people into one category obviously has some prejudice issues.The decision behind the accent was most likely chosen because it is what the publisher feels will sell the most copies. Personally, I would prefer either an American, Polish, or Germanic accent. I have trouble sometimes understanding the thicker English accents. I know, this is my problem and not yours, but then again this is only my opinion. The current voice sounds fine to me though.
If I'm not mistaken, Kardiophylax showed a lot of class with that comment. How ironic that Harkatim was being exactly what he was ripping on us Americans for....oh the irony....I knew it was only a matter of time until...oh nevermind.To the topic at hand, Due to the setting and nature of the game, I would have rather preferred an Eastern European accent, but to be honest, as long as it's "acted" correctly, I'm good to go.

Well, to find the common ground they should have dubbed Geralt with australian accent. That should solve all the problems. Geralt's voice is just fine like that. It fits the character perfectly.But on the other hand scotish would seem fit too.

Hi from Spain. Only two points:1º I like the voice in English dubbing, sound good. 2º But Will be Gerald dubbing to spanish? Can I hear some explame?I fell a litte bit worry about de Spanish dubbing because a bad dubbing can change a great and serius game to comic and bad game... I hope that dont happen with the Witcher. PD: Sorry for my horrible english, I didnt use it for long time ago.

hi; portuguese witcher here 8) eheh; here in portugal we don't have dubbing problems b'cause our tv passes all the movies/programs in the original language with subtitles in portuguese, we are used to the english and french since kids ;) i think the english in geralt's voice is perfect but i do agree that there's probably something lost from the polish original ::)

Hello Its my again:Finally my nightmare was true.... The spanish Dubbing is horrible, and even the traslation. Only in the intro of the gain I can detect to mistake in it:In the spanish version says "That history beggings 5 yeras BEFORE the Great War... " instead of "After de Great War..." Atari mistake "After" with "Antes", the spanish word for Before... Another mistake similar its the badint will get 30 orens instead of 50 orens for every Witcher... Again mistake Fiftieh with fiteen because for spanish people sound soo similar....That is a bad new for a great game.... But almost the game its multilanguage and I playing in english. ;DBut I hope someday CD Project can make a pacth to use one Language and other subtitles in the same instalation... I will great listing the great english voices and can read all in spanish (because my girlfriend dont understand all english words in the cinematics... too fast reading its you need a Dictionary)

boys have a problem: where he puo seeing the map of the kingdom completes with all the city.? thanks names let me knowGiacomoplzthanks

Just got the game today and I just wanted to say (again) GREAT job on ALL the voice work, and Geralt's English dub is perfect!Gratz on all the great reviews and I hope sales worldwide are just as good!Regards

In the Spanish version the voice seems very weak.I dont like ,I saw the promotional videos and the voice seems very strong ,cool I cant define.I prefere the inglish version.(sorry for my inglish)

Hi everybody, I just registered the game and am now browsing the boards. Stumbling upon this one, I must say that I love Geralt's english voice. It fits him much better than the german one, which is why I'm playing the game in english. I'd like to know who the actor is.

Teria said:
Hi everybody, I just registered the game and am now browsing the boards. Stumbling upon this one, I must say that I love Geralt's english voice. It fits him much better than the german one, which is why I'm playing the game in english. I'd like to know who the actor is.
Geralt = Doug Cockle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0168339/) ;)

LOLMy cousin said that Geralt's English voice sounds like me "when I'm being an asshole" - don't ask me what she meant by this, she calls me an asshole at least thrice a day.

Have just finished the game and have been holding off adding a comment until now.Overall the English dubbing for this game is good and the choice of actors appropriate.The accents also seem appropriate with the possible exception of the Fisher King, but he only has the one true line.Whilst the inflection does leave something to be desired on occasions, there are only a couple of errors in translation, such as "Fault" when it should have been "Fought" being one.Please use the same people again in any extension of the game.

BladeHeart said:
Overall the English dubbing for this game is good and the choice of actors appropriate....Please use the same people again in any extension of the game.
While not quite finished, I just wanted to re-iterate how good the English voice acting is. The actor for Geralt is superb, and so are the supporting cast. Even though I can read the subtitles faster than the actors speak their lines, I have not yet clicked through any character speech unless I had heard it before; that's how much I like it. It really adds to the immersion. Like the poster above me, I would be happy to hear the same cast in any future games/sequels.Just one fantastic aspect of an amazingly good game (and again, I'm only up to Murky Waters).

Overall its not bad voice acting, as far as the english version goes.I think it would be much appropriate and originals if geralt had a slavic accent to his english. As it is he comes of almost as a pure Englishman ...which he is not.Having a slavic accent would greatly help show his personality that must be different from generic english, Anglo-saxon people.However, as the dialogue is really badly cut in places it affects voice cover too. Its specialy annoying when Geralt shouts "How?" in every conversation.Or shots "Who are you?" (or something simmilar) even if he knows that person.Details often mean much in things like these, but considering this is their first game... and all,... its pretty good.

Hiya! First post here, will look around a bit more tomorrow; this is the first interesting topic that I saw, I'm sure to find many more :)I think that Geralt's English voice dubbing is quite good, but also quite a distance away from perfect. The voice itself in its tone fits very well, and I think that all the talk about what accent he should have to make all the game more "realistic" is kind of... you know, the game is not set in Europe or even in our world. Of course there are remarks, scenes and landscapes that might remind one of our own world, but I for myself am completely satisfied with all characters (including Geralt) speaking proper English with that kick-ass accent. I really like it. Anything resembling "the real world" more is a can, but not a must for me.What I dislike a bit is that Geralt sounds just a bit TOO cool in some situations. There are also some scenes in which he "explodes" emotionally and raises his voice, but in many situations the dubbing lacks emotions of all kind, be it arousal, anger, suspicion or anything else (irony is what he does best, haha). It's a bit monotone at times, a bit too often for my taste. But it's still great compared to the shit other game creators call "voice dubbing", and so I'm even happier when Geralt's voice gets more emotional every now and then.So long :)

Geralt's English voice is awesome. It is strong, convincing and does not lead one to believe that he is joking around at any given moment. I think they picked an excellent voice. Geralt is AWESOME!

Brysiu said:
Brysiu said:
Geralt = Doug Cockle (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0168339/) ;)
Could you perhaps give us a list of all voice actors (who voiced whom)?

Krs said:
The greatest voice talent IMO was in the Legacy of Kain series.... but thats a different realm, and that kind of voices wouldn't feat in the Witcher.
So true! I miss the first version of that game. It was amazingly good for game with such awful graphics. Worst voice acting, Resident Evil series! "Jell, where's Jell?" Most famous line ever. I personally think Garalt's voice fits him well in English.

Top Bottom