Geralt’s English dubbing!

+
Daerdin said:
So we have heard so far Russian, English and Polish samples. How do you compare them? Which one is the best in your opinion?Just as a reminderRussian samples can be found -> HERE (the list with underlinded links)English -> HEREPolish -> HERE (the 1,2,3 numbers ;) )
My heritage is German/Russian, father of German descent / Russian mother. Both were also fluent in english, so I have familiarity with and grew up hearing natively spoken, these 3 languages. My educational years were mixed between between Germany, USA, and Canada. I only throw all this out there to demonstrate I don't really have a language bias so much as a preference, english being my primary language now. Having gotten all that out of the way I think the Polish voice samples are the best, followed by the Russian voice samples labelled; Kopp_Vlad, Antonik_vladmir, Radzig_Krill, coming in last is the English voice.I think all the voices are extremely well done and the order of my choices above are based off the inflection and cadence of the samples and how I imagine they match the character set in the world portrayed in the video trailers I've seen. It's difficult to truly pick a "best" voice without actually seeing a video sample set in the world with Geralt's voice in conversation with someone or thing. Considering what little I've so far seen of the Witcher I would have to say I have faith in the Teams ability to meld those things together.Ubbax.. [size=8pt]"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure, which is: try to please everybody." - Herbert Bayard Swope[/size]

I like his voice, very sexy. He is gorgeous and sounds gorgeous and I can't wait to play with him, sorry play him. ;)

How simpler life for developers would be if we all just spoke... Latin! Yeah! Genius idea, don't you think? I wonder how the game would sound in that language...

The voice sounds excellent! To me the voice acting is one of the more important aspects of an RPG. If the voice acting is bad, it just ruins the immersion!

Nice voice (English that is), but I think in sample 1 Geralt's voice lacks emotion, I don't know, maybe some anger at his interlocutor. His tone doesn't seem to reflect the situation he landed himself in, though being deprived of a larger context I can't really tell how he should speak like. I imagine that Geralt is facing some sort of Frankenstain-like monster and its master. Geralt being highly moral character should at least show more contempt for his may-be enemies.

According to the new Madej's interview Geralt will speak American while other characters will use British :) The reasons for this are in my previous post.Another thing...I just listened to an Australian review of The Last Wish and guess what, the reviewer said Geralt (Go Geralt)!

macell said:
According to the new Madej's interview Geralt will speak American while other characters will use British :) The reasons for this are in my previous post.Another thing...I just listened to an Australian review of The Last Wish and guess what, the reviewer said Geralt (Go Geralt)!
Go Geralt like in pokemons -> Go Pikachu :D

Well I realize the OP is old. But I wanted to give my opinion. I think it would have been better if we could have seen the images that the voiceovers were going for. Oftentimes its not just the voice... its, either the moodset or the scene is not correct for the voice. Or vice versa. I cant remember the game I played once but the voiceover was just horrible .. there was strong emotion during a moment where there should have been a cool and quiet emotion. That would simply kill me if the wrong voiceover emotion was shown during a moment where it should be different. I hope I explained that right. On a side note, I watched Pans labyrinth in Spanish, that spanish language sounded much better than the english voiceovers. They have such a dark sounding dialect. Thank god for the english sub titles tho !still waiting ... for the merchandise.... ¥

Well, pity to say that, 'cause I'm Pole and I'll have a Polish version ofc, but the English voiceover sounds best to me... j. Rozenek is surely a great voice actor, but he lacks this roughness present, as I always imagined, in Geralt's voice.I'm also very curious which of presented Russian voices will be finally used in the game? 'Cause only the first one is somewhat proper in my opinion ;].

Well darn....my bubble has been busted once more......My natural pronunciation of Geralt's name is Je-ralt not not GEE-RALT or GUH-RALT or GEH-RALT. I like the J sound over the hard G sound but in the end it matters to me not at all. I am a southern American and did not really hear much accent in the Geralt voice samples at all. In my opinion this voice for Geralt will be superb! I have no doubt that all the voice acting in the game will be done well with much professionalism. Good job folks!

The accent of a voice actor only shows through on certain words--the guy who does Garrett from Thief, for instance, is only evidently American when he pronounces "vase" as "vayze" rather than "vahze", which would be the correct British pronunciation. If the work is done really carefully, even these occurrences can be avoided.

Darian said:
The accent of a voice actor only shows through on certain words--the guy who does Garrett from Thief, for instance, is only evidently American when he pronounces "vase" as "vayze" rather than "vahze", which would be the correct British pronunciation. If the work is done really carefully, even these occurrences can be avoided.
Darian, who are you to say which pronunciation is correct and which is incorrect? I submit to you that they are both correct sir per Webster's Dictionary. I have always had a very high regard for the English people....and every one I have ever met before I have enjoyed having them for company. I shutter to think that the English members on this forum are a good representation of their country as a whole. IMHO people from every nation need to leave their national popous attitudes,prejudices and jealousies toward peoples of other nations at the door when they post on a game forum....... Sorry for the rant I just had to get this grief off my chest. :) Hope everyone has a happy day! ;D

@ LordFessI was pronouncing it Jer-ault as well (as in Gerald, but with a T...and I am not even southern, I am a Yankee from NYC ;D) as I read all through The Last Wish. But the over-riding opinion is Geralt (hard G as in go). I also made the mistake of watching "The Hexer" eve' last (I know, I know, several people here tried to warn me away...but I needed a Witcher fix! PRINT MORE BOOKS IN ENGLISH :-\) and they prononced it Gerrralt (with a hard G sound rolling on the R). I am kind of partial to that version now (though the rest of the movie was...um...not that good).But, it is "Fantasy"...I suppose we can pronounce it how we like! ;)Be well all!A.·.

LordFess said:
Darian, who are you to say which pronunciation is correct and which is incorrect? I submit to you that they are both correct sir per Webster's Dictionary.
I'm sorry if my post was ambiguous, but I was specifically talking about depictions of British as a dialect, rather than English as a language.As far as general English usage goes, both pronunciations are equally correct; however, this does not hold true to fictional works depicting a very European-style (and, often, specifically British-style) medieval-ish world. Thief is set in a fictionalised medieval England and many of the characters speak with typical British accents, therefore pronunciations should be those used by the British. Those with a real British accent would never pronounce vase as "vayze"; therefore, in the context of the world Thief is portraying, "vayze" is utterly incorrect.

Top Bottom