Geralt's Face (New Spanish edition of Last Wish)

+
Geralt's Face (New Spanish edition of Last Wish)

I was just surfing around to find Spanish copies of the Witcher books on sale and I found out that a new publisher has released some new editions in Spain. The publisher is Alamut. Anyway, the new edition of Last Wish in Spanish has some interesting cover art that show's their version of Geralt's face and I wanted to see what people thought. I kind of like it...looks a little older than in the game, and maybe a little more human (click to enlarge).

i guess the first thing i notice is that they moved his scar to the other side of his face ;) ... and is that Michał Żebrowski ?

gamewidow said:
i guess the first thing i notice is that they moved his scar to the other side of his face ;) ... and is that Michał Żebrowski ?
I really don't think it's him. I think it's probably a composite of faces or something...it's not a photo I don't think. Just a really really good CG or hand drawing. Plus, the costuming in that photo is WAYYYY better than the stuff they had in the tv show / movie (sorry but it's true).

Lyonesse said:
have to say the version they have in the game is better looking IMHO, lol.
Hmmm...I dunno. I'm a straight man who has no problem discussing the good looks of other men, and I can honestly say I think the Geralt in this book-cover looks better than the one in the game. I think it's the chin and the nose...the book-cover guy has a much stronger chin and a more aquiline nose, traits which I think are very dignifying in men. The one from the game is nice too, but maybe a little too youth-ful for some reason. Dunno how old Geralt is supposed to be but I get the sense he's a lot older than just his early-30s or something.

He looks very old in that picture. Since I don't know how old he's supposed to be, I don't know if that's more accurate than the game or less. I'm wondering if the cover artist was told "white hair" but not the reason for it and just assumed that Geralt had to be old?
Sparrowhawk said:
The one from the game is nice too, but maybe a little too youth-ful for some reason. Dunno how old Geralt is supposed to be but I get the sense he's a lot older than just his early-30s or something.
Well, Vesemir is supposed to be very, very old, and we know that aging is slowed in witchers, so I'm not sure how old Geralt would have to be before he looks old.Anyway, thanks for sharing the picture with us!

Corylea said:
He looks very old in that picture. Since I don't know how old he's supposed to be, I don't know if that's more accurate than the game or less. I'm wondering if the cover artist was told "white hair" but not the reason for it and just assumed that Geralt had to be old?Anyway, thanks for sharing the picture with us!
It could have something to do with the various cultures in which the covers are produced. I mean, maybe people from Spain like male faces with stronger chins and noses? I dunno. I have been looking around at other book-covers from various countries that show Geralt, and they're all pretty different. I think it's pretty fascinating is all. I don't actually personally care "what" Geralt looks like specifically...I've got my own sort of mental amalgamation of various characteristics in my head. I just think it's really neat how he's interpreted differently by different cover-artists. I like the French ones. Geralt always seems more introspective and sort of hunched over on those. Like this: His clothes don't fit him...he's not rippling with muscles. He's not standing perfectly upright and he's practically dragging his sword along the ground. Pretty neat contrast to the action-star version from the games and the Aragorn guy on the cover of the Spanish one.

I agree on that cultural connection: I always thought the game version of Geralt looked kinda slavic (at least certainly not nordic, like me ;)) whereas the one on that (first) cover has a somewhat more spanish (moorish?) look. The artist's both made a good-looking, lower middle-age white-haired guy, and they've both based those on their respective cultures I think.

NOOOOOOO! ;) ... not vin! but i really am taken with the Geralt image from the game, sorry guys! :peace:

Sparrowhawk said:
I wonder what the US version of Geralt would look like? Vin Diesel?
My husband says that the combination of action and womanizing makes Geralt a medieval James Bond -- in that case, he'll be Sean Connery. :)

@Corylea, that would make a interesting Geralt... Sean Connery. Hmmm. :D@game widow, agreed. NOT Vin Diesel ;DAs it has been stated before, I too think this contrast between the covers is interesting.Though I admit, Geralt will always look to me like in the game :beer:

Sparrowhawk said:
I was just surfing around to find Spanish copies of the Witcher books on sale and I found out that a new publisher has released some new editions in Spain. The publisher is Alamut. Anyway, the new edition of Last Wish in Spanish has some interesting cover art that show's their version of Geralt's face and I wanted to see what people thought. I kind of like it...looks a little older than in the game, and maybe a little more human (click to enlarge).
:-\ he looks like >40 y.o., nearing 50 maybe. too old for my taste and its definitely not Michal Żebrowski. i'm Polish and i can say only bad things about the witcher movie and tv series but at least Michal Żebrowski looked good in his role. his voice is also close to ingame Polish geralt voice-over.sean connery? he might be a good vesemir with long white hair. remember connery from highlander 1 movie?

gamewidow said:
i have a hard time imagining Viggo with white hair, but he is sexy :)
Not just sexy, but also able to pull off being a strong loner who runs around saving the world. :) As for the white hair, he looked way better with dark hair than with his own strawberry blond; I'm betting that white hair could work, too.

There's Yennefer too:
Jaskier:
And Ciri:
I love these images ;D

wow, fantastic! all of these are perfect. pity geralt isnt as good as those. too old!yennefer is great. those violet eyes like in books, mysitque, charming. and she has some aura around her head. jet black hair and this outfit. i see that people who made these pictures read the book.in books yennefer was definitely not the most beatiful woman, she was far from perfect but unique and had a this charm that enslaved geralt. this picture shows why ;Dciri is great too. in books she was constantly in bruises. good they marked it with blood on wrists. short blonde, almost white hair, azure eyes. perfect

Top Bottom