• Option 1: Sword of Destiny-Version

Votes: 323 52.4%
  • Option 2: Debut-Version

Votes: 68 11.0%
  • Option 3:VGX-Version

Votes: 70 11.4%
  • Option 4:Summer Conference-Version

Votes: 129 20.9%
  • Other (Freel free to post your suggestion)

Votes: 26 4.2%

• Total voters
Geralt needs a soul patch with about a 3 inch goat beard option minus the stash in the mix, no more no less, unless sideburns look good with it too. As to why devs have never put this style of face hair in a game before still beats me? I would like it a lot, THAT and a killer Santa/Odin Beard would be nice to sport as well ;)

Also the left face is overall fuller and pinker then the right one. Even the nose of the CGI version is sharper...

This.

This is at the moment the only problem I have with the face.
In the cinematic, as well as in TW2, his face was less pink (lighting) and the Hair was completely white (which it is not in those samples we have seen from TW3).
Just give him completely white hair (even the beard), (maybe make his nose/features a tad bit sharper) and make his face more PALE, even in sunlight. He is supposed to look rough and like a mutant. The most bothering feature for me at the moment is his face color, he looks to human and healthy.
And again, yes I know it is the lighting, but he is supposed to look pale, unhealthy and mutant-like regardless of the weather-condition.

There is only about one single fact that could change my opinion about this, and this is IF potions actually have a visual effect on Geralt. Then I might be able to accept that, but even then his face looks too pink/reddish/sunburned in some situations.

I think Geralt looks more real now thanks to cdpr's new tech, and that just makes him look better in general. This is the Geralt we would of had from the start if they had this tech and power way back then. Geralt looks real and alive now, TW3 world and Geralt look more amazing than ever before. I choose to not live in the past, sure TW1 & TW2 were alright.. 100 years ago!!! lol.. I won't even miss old Geralts lifeless, stiff, dead, robot looking face animations from TW1 & TW2. TW3 Geralt and World and Gameplay, is the witcher game I could only dream TW1 & TW2 could be from the start. Like I said before, if one steps back and has an open heart & mind about TW3. One can play this game as if it is, and was the first and last witcher game ever created. Sure I know a little of this, and a little of that from both TW1 & TW2 games/books and what not. I'm just not going to let all that old stuff over shadow and bogdown this NEW EXPERIENCE. It's like life, either one evolves and adapts, or it's simply goodbye forever and your dead. ;)

Last edited:
I still think he is not pale enough in some of the material we saw.

My feeling here is that most people vastly exaggerate the effect of depigmentation. It doesn't make your skin white, merely translucent/transparent.

Even with vitiligo (a condition that causes depigmentation through loss of melanocytes) skin appears normal (albeit paler than normal, and non-tanning).
With some areas still pigmented, there are darker patches in the summer (or alternatively, pale patches within darker skin?), because the condition is not systematic, rather localised. Even with a systemic condition however, this is about the limit of how pale skin gets.

Your blood vessels, fats, muscles etc still produce a pale 'skin tone' even where no melanin is present.

My feeling here is that most people vastly exaggerate the effect of depigmentation. It doesn't make your skin white, merely translucent/transparent.

Even with vitiligo (a condition that causes depigmentation through loss of melanocytes) skin appears normal (albeit paler than normal, and non-tanning).
With some areas still pigmented, there are darker patches in the summer (or alternatively, pale patches within darker skin?), because the condition is not systematic, rather localised. Even with a systemic condition however, this is about the limit of how pale skin gets.

Your blood vessels, fats, muscles etc still produce a pale 'skin tone' even where no melanin is present.

Might be true but look at that difference:

TW1

TW2

TW3

Trailer (this version is awesome in terms of paleness)

35 min gameplay: (way too pink-ish the skin, too colorful, not pale enough (IMO))

I don't say it's a big difference. All I'm saying is that he looks less healthy and human-like in TW1 and TW2 than he looks in the footage of the 35 minutes. Hell, he even looks paler in old TW3 trailer material.

Geralt's face looks awesome in the gameplay videos, just a higher resolution of The Witcher 2's face. Since The Witcher Geralt has looked like Mel Gibson to me, and he continues to do so.

Might be true but look at that difference:

TW1

TW2

TW3

Trailer (this version is awesome in terms of paleness)

35 min gameplay: (way too pink-ish the skin, too colorful, not pale enough (IMO))

I don't say it's a big difference. All I'm saying is that he looks less healthy and human-like in TW1 and TW2 than he looks in the footage of the 35 minutes. Hell, he even looks paler in old TW3 trailer material.
The pinkness is merely a difference in lighting, notice how your second last picture is day time with the light on his face compared to your last which is night time.

Can I just ask were we got the TW3 Geralt with his hair in a ponytail from? All I have seen from TW3 Geralt was with his hair loose.

Geralt's face looks awesome in the gameplay videos, just a higher resolution of The Witcher 2's face. Since The Witcher Geralt has looked like Mel Gibson to me, and he continues to do so.

The pinkness is merely a difference in lighting, notice how your second last picture is day time with the light on his face compared to your last which is night time.

If you look at the trailer version image video, you will notice that he is pale, it's not the lightening.
@Lieste : Geralt skin in TW3 is a lot pinker than the blots/marks without melanin in the vitiligo affected people. And Geralt is supposed to be almost albino pale, with WHITE hair. Take a look here:

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1938074

I agree that Geralt's W3 face just looks like a super detailed version of W2 which wasn't possible at the time, but he still doesn't look as pale as either 1 or 2.... There's also some factors to consider:

The last picture is not nighttime, it's dawn.

Yes, lighting is clearly having an affect on Geralt's skin, also angles etc. CDPR are trying to throw "technology" into W3, which is fantastic, however that seems to be having an adverse affect if they want him to look pale. The lighting affecting his skin means that if he looks pale in direct sunlight, he sadly won't look pale at other times of the day, and this is wrong, Geralt should "appear" pale all the time. It's the same thing with his hair, when you look at his beard in sunlight it seems fine (Some would argue it's too dark but I think it's ok), however when he comes out of the cave towards the end of the 35min demo his beard looks almost completely black because of the nighttime lighting.
Sadly this is a case where realism and technology, whilst really cool, is actually going against how it should be.

Then again, if it's not CDPR's intention for him to be pale, and they want to have him look more "human" and they've got some really neat effects planned for certain potion consumption and the way his skin reacts to certain situations, then great.
Personally I think his face looks ok and even right down to the 'pale' issue it's all very minor for me, but I totally understand people's annoyances and complaints when they want the "proper pale Geralt" that we know from the books, and we saw in TW1 (And to a lesser degree but still there, TW2). Especially if behind the scenes this is a move done specifically to not "scare away" newcomers who might think a pale protagonist is 'odd', then I think it's a really terrible decision. Tons of other people have joined the series and fell in love with Geralt, pale skin and all, it would be IMO completely retarded to do this purposefully just for the sake of "mass audience appeal", but having said all that I sincerely do believe that's NOT the reason (Or I hope not).

If you look at the trailer version image video, you will notice that he is pale, it's not the lightening.
@Lieste : Geralt skin in TW3 is a lot pinker than the blots/marks without melanin in the vitiligo affected people. And Geralt is supposed to be almost albino pale, with WHITE hair. Take a look here:

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/1938074

And he looks kind of "pink" to me. The stag image is 'artistic' rather than an accurate record, to my eye it seems to have a deliberately muted contrast and a blue cast - in the background. If you correct that, then he has the same skin tone as vitiligo depigmented areas. Pink-ish in the face and hands, very pale but 'normal' overall. (Also note his "white" hair is rather yellow/very pale blond, rather than white).

In the absence of sun exposure, a person with vitiligo may not have easily detectable edges to their patches if they are in a region with naturally pale populations (e.g. northern Europe/UK/Scotland).

Geralt looks to have a reasonable skin tone for a pigment deficient person who lives or works outdoors. He should in addition blush *more* than a normally pigmented person, either when exerting, or under emotional duress, as there is less opacity blocking the surface capillaries from view. Equally nausea causes a quite vivid 'green', much more so than with a regular skin tone.

To me the W1 Geralt looked like he was wearing white "slap", rather than being someone with transparent non-coloured skin.

About the actor, Stephen Thompson, I can assure you that he is almost white-pale.
Returning to Geralt, I was referring not only to the image, but also to the video where that image has been taken from. You can see that Geralt is really pale also when he talks to Djikstra in his first version appearance (less fat Djikstra), even with the warm lights of the inn. It's all another story and it's really clear and evident to me. Now the fact that Geralt has grey hair in TW3 is undeniable.

I hope that devs will fix this. I hope, with many members of this community, that CDPR makes Geralt more similar to the opening CGI sequence (with sharper features, skinner face, paler skin).

Last edited:
So those colors are not matter of lighting

Perhaps his base "skin texture", or whatever you'd call it, is more 'pink'. However the lighting is most certainly, absolutely affecting his skin and the slightly different shades of 'pink' present. Perhaps in the sunlight it's less about him going more pale and more about his face just looking "bright", but it does vary depending on lighting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom