Geralt's look... always updated with new appearances

+
I must say, I'm having a hard time with the new face. IMO, the first Geralt has a way better "Badass" look.I guess I'm the type of entertainment consumer that can't take drastic change very well. As an example, when I see a movie that I end up enjoying very much, I never was able to enjoy a sequel to it when they would replace the actor that played the main role/character in the first movie with someone else for the sequel. Sure they would dress the new actor for the part and all, but it just was clashing too much for me.I'm well aware that there are always a portion of people that will say they enjoyed the sequel regardless and some will even go as far as saying that they enjoyed the sequel from... much more to the first sucked ass compared to the sequel, etc...Different people, different taste.Now, I'm definitely on the lookout for Witcher 2, but like most games, I'll have to wait for the final product, screeenshots and gameplay videos in order to make up mind mind whether to get it or not. I have trust CDProjekt to create a good sequel having purchased and played "Kickass"!... "Awesome"! The Witcher, so that's one free point up right there. ;)P.S. I don't see why Geralt's high resolution head from the movie renders of the first Witcher could not be used... for technical reasons. That would have been the right technical choice to make IMO.See ya later.Sully

what do you guys think of this geralt? honestly, i like him :p. he kinda looks like a more proportional old geralt. (only my opions ;) )
im comparing him to this popular concept art of geralt 1

LFilipek said:
what do you guys think of this geralt? honestly, i like him :p. he kinda looks like a more proportional old geralt. (only my opions ;) )
im comparing him to this popular concept art of geralt 1
Both are good. I like the lower one better because he looks distinctly Slavic, and being that this is a Polish made game inspired by a Polish author, drawing heavily form Slavic mythology, I'd like to see the devs continue with this theme and make Geralt Slavic looking as well.I'm American. Most hero's I see in movies and play in games already have the same over-used generic idea of what American's find appealing. The Witcher is supposed to be different.While I appreciate the dev's desire to re-envision Geralt, I really hope they keep the Eastern European flavor of the first game.

LFilipek said:
Actually I've been using this one in my signature (see my profile) for years. But yes, this one's a pretty good example of how proportional the old Geralt can look like.

Ya it would be nice to have a distinct Slavic Geralt, and I think that the final product will have one, but we can only wait to see.I also hope that they change Geralt's face when he gets high on elixirs. Idk if I'm asking too much :p but it would be cool to see him go super pale and have more animal-like features like you see in the intro of Witcher 1.

LFilipek said:
I also hope that they change Geralt's face when he gets high on elixirs. Idk if I'm asking too much :p but it would be cool to see him go super pale and have more animal-like features like you see in the intro of Witcher 1.
Oooh, yes, that would be very cool!

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/the-witcher-rise-of-the-white/301973First Geralt's iconic and recognisable, he should stay. He's God of War's Kratos, Halo's Master Chief, Gears of War's Marcus Fenix, Thief's Garrett. There is one character that has become different throught a series in a great way - Sam Fisher's gradual transformation from a military professional to a wanted man, but most attempts like this end up in disaster (Prince of Persia for instance). This younger, different Geralt just breaks the consistency and i find that a mistake.

Thoric said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/the-witcher-rise-of-the-white/301973First Geralt's iconic and recognisable, he should stay. He's God of War's Kratos, Halo's Master Chief, Gears of War's Marcus Fenix, Thief's Garrett. There is one character that has become different throught a series in a great way - Sam Fisher's gradual transformation from a military professional to a wanted man, but most attempts like this end up in disaster (Prince of Persia for instance). This younger, different Geralt just breaks the consistency and i find that a mistake.
You forgot one character. Dante's Inferno' Dante Alinghieri. :pNow do you CD Projekt guys understand our way of watching those unique heroes? Take as example Max Payne and Alan Wake of Remedy. Everyone has his own unique characteristic in every country. When everyone makes him an Americanized idol, it simply destroys the magic of its own creation.If I were to be the creator of my own game, I'd of course stick with the same characteristics, but with upgraded graphic details. NOT the Americanized settings.

My 2 cents: I was really frustrated with "Max Payne 2" when they completely changed the hero. Same with many similar stuff in many areas. Like "Silence of the Lambs" and "Hannibal". Julianne Moore is a great gal and all but really, Jodie Foster is Clarice Starling and she won an Oscar that proves it. (Just check IMDb rating for both. Jodie's is #26 of all time best movies... Julianne's? Even if the movie was actually good, it will never match the original Clarice)The best thing about Gothic 3 (before the Community Patch, perhaps) is that the Nameless Hero is exactly the same as in Gothic 2 and Gothic 1.I'm sure TW2 will be an awesome game and I'm very excited that its release is getting near. But not because of Geralt, unfortunately. I loved TW1 so much. I still play it, along with Dragon Age. Now DA2 is already prone to be a big disappointment because of the core changes BW is making to the game. It may seem just cosmetics but if old fans don't get too excited with the new Geralt, don't complain later. I know I ain't.Another thing I'd like to see in TW2 is an armor like Raven's from start, even with no properties. Just for the looks. We get to play so little with it in TW1. The first armor is not that bad but Raven's is really great looking and we should not wait like 5 chapters to use the best looking armor in the game. (Although other games like Gothic do it too, at least they have a lighter version of those badazz armor available earlier)

To anyone still worried about Geralt looking too nice/heroish now, I was just browsing this forum at work, with the big picture of Geralt's face in the top banner, and a friend of mine walked past. He said "Hey, is that the game you were telling me about before, the one you're looking forward to?""Yeah.""Yeah, it sounded pretty good, *then looking at Geralt* is that the villain?"

Err, why would reassured by the words of someone who didn’t even play the first game? Also, the problem is not the mentioned Geralt but the actual one in the videos. If you look at character designs published prior to TW1’s release you will see that they looked different as well. From what we have seen so far I think we can tell that he is not going to look like said Geralt.

Truth be told, the way Geralt looks is much less of a concern for me than any form of consolitus that may be sneaking into the game. It's not that the new look is outright bad, it just doesn't jive with my conception of a Witcher.

Vattic said:
To anyone still worried about Geralt looking too nice/heroish now, I was just browsing this forum at work, with the big picture of Geralt's face in the top banner, and a friend of mine walked past. He said "Hey, is that the game you were telling me about before, the one you're looking forward to?""Yeah.""Yeah, it sounded pretty good, *then looking at Geralt* is that the villain?"
ROFL XD XD XDPlz invite him to play and then invite him here!Now I have no doubt Geralt's still look like a lovely badass :D

GenNighty said:
Geralt new face you say? Here you are http://www.gamezilla.pl/sites/default/files/blogposts/wiedzmin3.jpg
/discussStill a WIP i'd wager, but I like it. It bears a real resemblence to the first Witcher one. Kinda reminds me of this:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sm56Wc6FTN8/S6pG31gHJBI/AAAAAAAABPw/Kx-yeRKpKQQ/s1600/ultimo+deseo.jpg

Thoric said:
Thoric said:
Geralt new face you say? Here you are http://www.gamezilla.pl/sites/default/files/blogposts/wiedzmin3.jpg
/discussStill a WIP i'd wager, but I like it. It bears a real resemblence to the first Witcher one. Kinda reminds me of this:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sm56Wc6FTN8/S6pG31gHJBI/AAAAAAAABPw/Kx-yeRKpKQQ/s1600/ultimo+deseo.jpg
Geralt looks a little better but i wish we had a better image.

szypek26 said:
First gameplay finally available! Well, the quality is quite poor, but it is what we've got so far ;)http://www.gamezilla.pl/content/gc-2010-wiedzmin-2-nowy-gameplay-z-gamescomu
Videos! Quality isn't much better but you can see geralt's face from lotsa angles. I like where it's going. It really resembles TW1 intro witcher. Gametrailers.com are still slacking, need some HQ.

I really don't mean to nitpick, but even in this new video I've seen on YouTube and the picture linked here, it seems to be getting there but not quite. To me the picture seems to be a morph between the previous new head and Tomek Gop's facial features... No offense meant towards Tomek, he's not a bad looking fellow, but it's just that to me, Geralt should look like the model in the first game like so...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxBrYiBwIEAnd please, if you can't get the same previous voice actor , at least get one that sounds close to the previous.

Top Bottom