Geralt's look... always updated with new appearances

+
The new face looks way better... At least now I'm sure Geralt doesn't look like some kind of comics superhero X). As for the W1... I must say new the face looks undouptably better and much more proportional... I seriously cant understand why most of fans are disappointed by it - personally I never adored the face from W1... P.S. Special thanks to CDPR for the new eyes - thoseTOTALLY ROCK :)))

By the way, about the face, I still hope they will make Geralts facial features change, when he drinks potions... That would be just sweet :)

New face looks good. I think I still prefer the old one. It's like the first version of Moonlight Sonata I listened to - all other's don't sound quite right.

Better pic:

Well, I too think that this newest face is acceptable though it still could look better (a.k.a. more like the old one). But if this is how things will go I can make my peace with it. At least it lost this faggy Hollywood look.

The new face is a big improvement, now we must discuss that oversized ponytail.Is that big arse ponytail a hairstyle option or we stuck with it? My gosh i hope we can choose otherwise.

Ignis said:
The new face is a big improvement, now we must discuss that oversized ponytail. I hope that its only an option for hairstyle?. Because i do not it that appealing at all.
We don't know anything about it yet, but when we discuss about changing harstyle option no one from devs said it isn't possible.

People, what's all that fuss with the ponytail? I think it looks much better than that noodle-like hair Geralt had in W1:) But I would be really happy if we had an opportunity to change the hairstyle (it would also be fun to see Geralt with a beard -____- )

Nk3dWch3r said:
People, what's all that fuss with the ponytail? I think it looks much better than that noodle-like hair Geralt had in W1:) But I would be really happy if we had an opportunity to change the hairstyle (it would also be fun to see Geralt with a beard -____- )
I dont mind a ponytail on a guy, but the ponytail that Geralt have in thouse new videos are very feminish and does not fit the character one bit. The tail has a to wide gab between his neck hair which (imo) just make his hole character look strangely odd, but i think if they drop the tail so it lines alittle more up with his neck hair then i would be ok with it.I know people have various taste so this ofcourse is just my opinion. However as it is now, i find it pretty bad.

i don't like the ponytail and they said that they would look in to it so i am expecting an option to change the hair to the old Geralt.

I don't mind the pony tail. Reminds me of a Samurai. But if they give the option to choose that wold be nice. Viewed the new footage again, and I think I'm getting used to the new face. It looks fitting, it looks like Geralt.

slimgrin said:
I don't mind the pony tail. Reminds me of a Samurai. But if they give the option to choose that wold be nice. Viewed the new footage again, and I think I'm getting used to the new face. It looks fitting, it looks like Geralt.
-___- especially with the curved sword.

As long as he looks and acts like the Geralt i know, i dont care what his facial features are, what haircut he's wearing, or what cologne he uses.

Here is a tip from someone who has also experience with Character-Design:Don't listen to the community.You can listen to them when it comes to gameplay, quests and other things, but never when it comes to the art-direction. There is a whole different understanding behind that, that people without the experience don't have.
This Geralt is perfect. He's handsome, which would explain why he's so successful with the ladies, but he also looks fierce and capable of killing without mercy. Geralt in the first Witcher was ... ugly. That's all he was. No reason to make him ugly again. This is your game, the community helped you being successful, but don't change such things because some people think a ponytails looks gay or that he's too beautiful. Art-Direction is something that shouldn't be touched by the community.There is a fine line between looking beautiful and looking badass. I think this Geralt strikes the line perfectly. Don't change him. I'm saying this because i saw some new gameplay at the GC and i think you changed him to the old one again. Please don't let this be true. It's your game, we only play it. Something like the Art-Direction should be in your hands, and your hands only.The guys from SuckerPunch made the same mistake with inFamous 2. Don't make the same guys.

youngzer0 said:
Here is a tip from someone who has also experience with Character-Design:Don't listen to the community.You can listen to them when it comes to gameplay, quests and other things, but never when it comes to the art-direction. There is a whole different understanding behind that, that people without the experience don't have.
This Geralt is perfect. He's handsome, which would explain why he's so successful with the ladies, but he also looks fierce and capable of killing without mercy. Geralt in the first Witcher was ... ugly. That's all he was. No reason to make him ugly again. This is your game, the community helped you being successful, but don't change such things because some people think a ponytails looks gay or that he's too beautiful. Art-Direction is something that shouldn't be touched by the community.There is a fine line between looking beautiful and looking badass. I think this Geralt strikes the line perfectly. Don't change him. I'm saying this because i saw some new gameplay at the GC and i think you changed him to the old one again. Please don't let this be true. It's your game, we only play it. Something like the Art-Direction should be in your hands, and your hands only.The guys from SuckerPunch made the same mistake with inFamous 2. Don't make the same guys.
On this i respectfully disagree the Geralt that i enjoyed seeing on my screen was both ugly and badass

youngzer0 said:
I agree with that one, but still prefer the newest face (from the gamescom presentation) - it looks both handsome and badass, furtheremore it reflects his age (for those who forgot - in the books Geralt was long past 40 -__- ), sarcastic temper, and manlyness. The Blakwienn Butcher as we know him made common folk shake in fear, but at the same time was rather attractive:) But then again, I am also sure that the game design should always remain in the hands of the developers and can only congratulate them for the awards the W2 has alredy won and for those that, I am sure lie ahead:)

youngzer0 said:
This Geralt is perfect. He's handsome, which would explain why he's so successful with the ladies, but he also looks fierce and capable of killing without mercy. Geralt in the first Witcher was ... ugly. That's all he was. No reason to make him ugly again. This is your game, the community helped you being successful, but don't change such things because some people think a ponytails looks gay or that he's too beautiful. Art-Direction is something that shouldn't be touched by the community.
I gotta disagree. To start Geralt from the books has never been one easily welcomed in human society. Even after he slays whatever horrific monster was plaguing an area, common people distrust him, fear him, despise him (well displayed in Act I of the game for instance). While there is nothing in the character on the above picture that would unsettle common folk. He's a good looking guy with swords on his back and a funny necklace. If he slays monsters - even better. He'd be welcome at any table at the village inn.The character design of the first game was very well established and has become a staple of the series. This sequel starts directly from where the first game left off and such a dramatic change to the character's design is a mistake. As much as the people behind games are professionals and have a right to their creation, an outside perspective should be atleast considered. The creative team behind any Prince of Persia sequel for instance was never a unprofessional one, but none have managed to recreate the feel of Sands of Time or it's success, everchanging the creative direction and ignoring the fan base.The above design also lacks the distinct slavic feel that fits so well in The Witcher. Not to mention he looks 20.

tommy5761 said:
On this i respectfully disagree the Geralt that i enjoyed seeing on my screen was both ugly and badass
I just think he's ugly. Downright ugly. Look at Kane from Kane & Lynch for example. Now that one looks ugly (but not too ugly) and badass.
tommy5761 said:
I agree with that one, but still prefer the newest face (from the gamescom presentation) - it looks both handsome and badass, furtheremore it reflects his age (for those who forgot - in the books Geralt was long past 40 -__- ), sarcastic temper, and manlyness. The Blakwienn Butcher as we know him made common folk shake in fear, but at the same time was rather attractive:) But then again, I am also sure that the game design should always remain in the hands of the developers and can only congratulate them for the awards the W2 has alredy won and for those that, I am sure lie ahead:)
As i said I'm not sure how much they changed him, because the footage i saw was very low res and taken with a cam, but it looked very similar to the first one which i never liked. I'm not quite sure, but don't Witcher age slower? So it might actually make sense that he looks younger than 40. Also i don't understand how ugliness has anything to do with manlyness. :p Again, i could be wrong, but the new, new Geralt also looks shaved, again, similar to the first one, i'd rather have him with a five o'clock shadow. Which would you can see in previous versions and on the new artworks. It also fits the character.
tommy5761 said:
I gotta disagree. To start Geralt from the books has never been one easily welcomed in human society. Even after he slays whatever horrific monster was plaguing an area, common people distrust him, fear him, despise him (well displayed in Act I of the game for instance). While there is nothing in the character on the above picture that would unsettle common folk. He's a good looking guy with swords on his back and a funny necklace. If he slays monsters - even better. He'd be welcome at any table at the village inn.
That has nothing to do with him being ugly, but rather him being a witcher.
tommy5761 said:
The character design of the first game was very well established and has become a staple of the series. This sequel starts directly from where the first game left off and such a dramatic change to the character's design is a mistake. As much as the people behind games are professionals and have a right to their creation, an outside perspective should be atleast considered. The creative team behind any Prince of Persia sequel for instance was never a unprofessional one, but none have managed to recreate the feel of Sands of Time or it's success, everchanging the creative direction and ignoring the fan base.
While i agree on the Prince of Persia franchise the reason why Geralt was ugly had nothing to do with the creativity of the developers but rather the limitations of the engine. The developers have a new engine now, their creativity is not as limited as it was before, they try to express their new creativity and the community reacts with comments like: "I hate the ponytail." "He looks like a boy." and so on. Everything in this game is different, so why should the art-direction stay the same?
tommy5761 said:
The above design also lacks the distinct slavic feel that fits so well in The Witcher. Not to mention he looks 20.
Well, from the footage i saw they all look a little bit more Renaissance, so Geralt fit's right in. This is also something i didn't understood about the first one, most of the people you encounter look like Renaissance, but Geralt is the only one who looks like he's from the dark age.

youngzer0 said:
I really like that Geralt too. Problem is, that picture is the only place I've seen it.I agree with you about art design - leave it to the professionals. Fans can voice their opinions easy enough, but the vast majority aren't qualified artists (I'm guilty of this myself) Let the character designers do their job.

Guest 2005166

smo5000 said:
As long as he looks and acts like the Geralt i know, i dont care what his facial features are, what haircut he's wearing, or what cologne he uses.
I only can help with the deodorant.;-)

Top Bottom