Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Essi Daven

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Shani

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters
Isn't the English one the worst? Or one of the worst?

Well, the official English translations of the books don't have shit like "Ermion", "Blackjack" or "Sile de Tansarville". So they're not that bad.

To Coral I was indifferent, just like to the whole SoS tbh :( (Sapko you can do better, really)

That's probably the main reason why you didn't much care for the book. When I read it for the first time, I didn't like Coral and thought that the book was kinda meh. But now, after rereading it...Coral is great and the book is great too. Maybe I just can't deslike a sorceress for a long time? :D

Coral! :D

I am not a worshipper of sorceresses like Zyvik, I just like the "bitchiness" that defines most of them and their interactions with Geralt. And Coral is one of the best from this point of view.

Her letter to Pinety is probably even better than "dear friend" letter from Yen.

Well, the official English translations of the books don't have shit like "Ermion", "Blackjack" or "Sile de Tansarville". So they're not that bad.

I don't see what's so bad about Síle (Síle de Tansarville vs Sheala de Tancarville - close enough to not really matter). Ermion vs Mousesack - well, that one is a bit strange, certainly

Blackjack vs Essi - yeah, that's off, I had no idea who it was referring to when I read that. They threw so many things in there that only book readers would pick up, so I'm not sure why they'd screw the pooch there :skepticalzoltan:

I don't see what's so bad about Síle (Síle de Tansarville vs Sheala de Tancarville - close enough to not really matter).

I hate when something is changed for no good reason like Yennefer/Ciri relationship in the games and since I'm a big Sheala fan, it irritates me even more than usual. Eevery time someone on this forum calls her "Síle" I clench my teeth :rant: And considering that in the English translation of the books she retained her original name, it creates another inconsistency between the two translations.

Now, on-topic: Coral is finally picking up the pace. Yay! :animier:

Eevery time someone on this forum calls her "Síle" I clench my teeth :rant: And considering that in the English translation of the books she retained her original name, it creates another inconsistency between the two translations.:

Ah, that's probably the cause - when I played TW1 and TW2, only The Last Wish and Blood of Elves were translated and I don't believe she was in them, so my first encounter with her (I game with subtitles) was with the Síle spelling (sorry for the teethclenching! :teeth:) I also like the spelling a bit more, it looks more Gaelic which seems in keeping with the appearance of the Elder Speech.

Ah, that's probably the cause - when I played TW1 and TW2, only The Last Wish and Blood of Elves were translated and I don't believe she was in them, so my first encounter with her (I game with subtitles) was with the Síle spelling (sorry for the teethclenching! :teeth:) I also like the spelling a bit more, it looks more Gaelic which seems in keeping with the appearance of the Elder Speech.

I can tolerate "Síle", since the pronunciation is similar to "Sheala" in Polish. But changing "De Tancarville" to "De Tansarville"? I'll never forgive this.

I'm surprised that Essi has so many votes. She might even catch up with Fringilla.

Every Polish fan should know why Essi is called "Blackjack" in the English version.

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oczko_(gra_karciana)

It may sound stupid, but "Blackjack" is actually the closest you can get to "Oczko", closer than "Little Eye".
But yes, it does sound dumb ; )

Ah, so it was a mistranslation and not an intentional change. It's still a pretty stupid mistake though, considering that the other translations got it right.

Essi is getting dangerously close to the Book Lover :eek: Who would've thought that she has so many fans?

Poor Coral. Nobody votes for her, because almost nobody read Season of Storms

I had to get a French copy across the Atlantic- I hope the translation was ok. And as for Coal... her apprentice Mosaique was better anyway! :laughing:

I had to get a French copy across the Atlantic- I hope the translation was ok. And as for Coal... her apprentice Mosaique was better anyway! :laughing:

She was nice, but not particularly interesting.

Maybe all that blackjack talk brought attention to her. There are surprisingly few Shani votes, though, now even Coral does not have less.

Yeah, that's the biggest surprise. I thought that she would at least take the second place, but now...she might not even take the third.

+1 for Essi. I really loved this little romance in the books. Essi is a lovely character with a good heart.

Shani is a character I like very much, too. But she is more a friend for Geralt than a lover (in the way I see her at least).
Fingilla is cool, really cool! But for her Geralt is just a toyboy, so : no ^^
About Lytta I don't know anything... haven't read Season of Storms yet.

Damn, looks like I'll have to force some of my fellow Fringilla fans to register on this forum :dry:

+1 for Essi. I really loved this little romance in the books. Essi is a lovely character with a good heart.

Shani is a character I like very much, too. But she is more a friend for Geralt than a lover (in the way I see her at least).
Fingilla is cool, really cool! But for her Geralt is just a toyboy, so : no ^^
About Lytta I don't know anything... haven't read Season of Storms yet.

I really don't think Geralt was just a toyboy to Fringilla actually. I may be wrong but I got the impression it was more to her. Or maybe that was because of the never ending "let's see if we can steal him from Yennefer" game these sorceresses seem to like so much ::) . As I said I would have liked Fringilla if it wasn't for her timing. As it is I find that part of the book infuriating, I usually just want to yell at Geralt or I don't know throw things at him or something at that point.

You bought a french copy? Seriously? :laughing:
From what I saw I don't think we have the best translation! Well, at least we have all 8 books, I guess that's something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom