Geralt's motivation in HoS didn't make sense

+
Geralt's motivation in HoS didn't make sense

So...Geralt did all of that because he wanted the scars to be removed? I understand that they were magical and that they couldn't be removed by anyone else. But really, we don't see what effects the scars had on him.

He acts as if he had to follow orders but really, it's just a scar. Am I missing anything? Do we know that the scar removal was so important that Geralt was held hostage to do the main antagonist's bidding?

as a man with a deep understanding of the unnatural he probably knew it would be in his best interests to get rid of them
plus witchers generally honour deals

Generally honoring deals doesn't explain the urgency that Geralt felt. Also, it was magical, and Geralt probably was afraid of something. But really? That's it? Just a bluff that Geralt wasn't willing to call?

I don't think it was a simple matter of fulfilling the contract. It is made clear Geralt felt that he was forced to go along.

well after making the agreement he got branded without being touched and a storm almost immediately beached the ship so clearly he wouldnt want to tempt fate so to speak

Last edited:
So...Geralt did all of that because he wanted the scars to be removed? I understand that they were magical and that they couldn't be removed by anyone else. But really, we don't see what effects the scars had on him.

He acts as if he had to follow orders but really, it's just a scar. Am I missing anything? Do we know that the scar removal was so important that Geralt was held hostage to do the main antagonist's bidding?

i. Geralt was imprisoned and being transported to Ofiri for execution.

ii. Striking a deal with Gaunter O'Dimm was the only means to escape execution.

iii. The tattoo isn't just a tattoo. It's a symbol of the pact that Geralt has made, a pact which cannot be broken.

iv. We can speculate all day about who Gaunter O'Dimm really is, but it's pretty clear that he is one of the most powerful, perhaps the most powerful, being in the Witcherverse.

v. O'Dimm specifies the time and the place that Geralt is to meet and complete the contract - "once all is over, we shall meet at midnight at the crossroads" - hence the sense of urgency.

vi. Sure, Gaunter O'Dimm doesn't specifically say what he'll do to Geralt if he doesn't abide by the terms of their agreement, but I doubt it's "reward him with puppies and kisses." We're talking about the Witcher version of Satan ...

I thought Geralt's motivations were pretty clear.

What seemed odd to me is that in getting "branded" with the mark, Geralt didn't seek the help of Yen or Triss. To even ask about it. I know if you still have quests to do in the main game Yen and Triss have dialogue regarding the mark but not having a quest in HOS to seek advice seems out of place.
Also the simple fact Geralt nearly gets taken to a foreign country to be (tried and) executed and then gets himself into a pact with the "devil" when he's supposed to be finding his daughter and defeating the wild hunt. I mean this is some serious shit, it's not like an everyday occurrence. Is there any dialogue to reflect this to Yen or Triss after completing HOS ?

Guest 3847602

What seemed odd to me is that in getting "branded" with the mark, Geralt didn't seek the help of Yen or Triss. To even ask about it. I know if you still have quests to do in the main game Yen and Triss have dialogue regarding the mark but not having a quest in HOS to seek advice seems out of place.

It could be played anytime, they couldn't predict when every player will decide to start the expansion. Some of these characters could be unavaliable for the story reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

What made you think it was just a scar? From the first encounter, Gaunter told Geralt that it was a mark to show that they were associates, which tells us that those are some specific markings. If you go to Yen, she'll tell you that the symbols are ancient and powerful magic.
If we merely assume that Gaunter was a sorcerer from the get-go:
1. Then he's a sorcerer who can teleport without the use of portals

2. He doesn't need to actually wave his arms around unlike other mages to cast spells/use magic.

3. Because of 1. & 2. would he not then be considered among the highest if not the highest tier sorcerer?

4. The more power a sorcerer uses, the more exhausted the sorcerer becomes. Geralt could not ignore the pain when Gaunter branded him, which didn't even exhaust Gaunter in the slightest. Therefore Geralt can assume that Gaunter is capable of a lot more than just that. However, assuming the unlikely scenario that Gaunter was only capable of branding, then it also stands to reason that Gaunter could keep on branding his entire body, continuously causing Geralt pain till Gaunter got exhausted. It's a big risk though.

5. Gaunter freed Geralt by conjuring a storm instead of a key or breaking open the lock. When talking to him near the village of Yantra, he'll tell you that the more conventional means were too simple for him.

6. If Geralt asks him if he's a mage and if he cast a spell to conjure a storm, he'll reply that he cannot stand spells and that he finds them to be "childish hocus-pocus." He could be bluffing, but then there's all the other things to take into account, which would still make him very dangerous.

It could be played anytime, they couldn't predict when every player will decide to start the expansion. Some of these characters could be unavaliable for the story reasons.

Which just goes to show how poorly implemented the end game is. But having the HOS at level 32 makes it much easier for the devs to know where we players will be in the game time.

Which just goes to show how poorly implemented the end game is. But having the HOS at level 32 makes it much easier for the devs to know where we players will be in the game time.

From what we've seen of playthroughs where people have done a lot of grinding, level 32 could be anywhere from the Kaer Morhen battle to end of the game. And this discussion appears to have little to do with Geralt's motivation, so could you all get back on topic please?

1. I'd argue that Geralt is your archetypal man of honour, he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he didn't go through with this deal, with O'Dimm having helped him find Yen and saved him from certain death. Same reason can be applied for why Geralt would bother helping the Bloody Baron at Crookback Bag to save his wife, since Ciri is still missing at the point. It's a non-mandatory sidequest, and the Baron has already told Geralt everything he needs to know about Ciri. Geralt has no obligation to help the Baron, but does so because IMO he feels indebted to the Baron for helping nurse his daughter back to health

2. I'd also argue that Geralt is actually afraid of O'Dimm. From the get-go Geralt already suspects that he's dealing with an immensely powerful being. While I personally believe the scar he got is nothing but a brand from O'Dimm which says "You owe me" and that officially nothing will happen to him if he doesn't go thru with his verbal deal with O'Dimm, IMO Geralt would rather not be on the bad side of a creature who has control over time and weather, so the faster he pays off his debt, the faster he can move on to more urgent matters without Satan breathing down his neck.

3. IMO, it's kinda pointless debating how much 'sense' any side quests in this game have. Based on the urgency argument, canon Geralt would really skip every side quest in the game because his daughter is in grave danger. That means, among other things, telling Dandelion he's got no time for petty Novigradian drama, letting Crach's children die, completely putting aside his responsibilities as a monster hunter for hire and telling the master armorer and weapon smith to go find their own tools.

Last edited:
Because Geralt keeps his word...Gaunter O'Dimm rescued him from the ship, gave him the mark and told him he wanted something in return, so Geralt went along with it. Geralt also may have realized O'Dimm has supernatural powers when he made the ship crash. Plus Geralt learned more about how dangerous O'Dimm was, so better to go a long because for all Geralt knew, that mark could have been something that was used to kill him if he didn't agree.

Oh camon man , finding Ciri is important task, but for me as player often times i forget that i have to look for here, because i so enjoyed all the side quests and exploring. I like to play Witcher 3 as if its not all about Ciri and Wild Hunt, and HoS was perfect for that taste.

I guess its like the mark the crones left on the baron's wife. It can induce pain in the "servant" if he/she doesn't obey.

Geralt got his wish fulfilled.
And remember what happens when Geralt breaks the pact:

Dues need be repaid, and he will come for you
All to reclaim, no smile to console you
He'll snare you in bonds, eyes glowin', afire
To gore and torment you, till the stars expire

So bad idea to cheat O´dimm.... ;)

OP is being a bit to narrowminded.

If somebody creates a branding scar on you, without even being in your vicinity, summons a storm and tells you that you have to honor a pact, if your any smart you tend to do it, and not test pact.

Top Bottom