Geralt's scar

+
BellatorPiusGratus said:
Yo, 'Siriously' man, I'd love to! Because I do love the books, I love them, the two that I've read anyway. I remember sitting on the 14th of February 2009(and I did fall in love that day!) />/>/>/>/>/> , watching the Witcher 1 game menu rolling before my eyes(the weather and circling birds and music!!!), having just read the bonus short story(Geralt and the Striga) you got with the Enhanced Edition collection. I was stumped. I thought, "wow, they really did good in selling this game. Ambitious to write such a good story to the game".

I had no idea, as probably many more in my country, who Sapkowski was or that he was a national symbol because of these books. I grew up reading Terry Pratchett and Robert Jordan(may he rest in piece) and of course Tolkien. Had I only stumbled over Sapkowski...but then again...I did! Through CD Projekt RED. :D/>/> I initially thought the devs hired Sapkowski to write something...to do a franschise like most games now get(producing game-related tv series or books). Boy was I in for a shock when realising it was the other way around! :eek:/>/>

After completing the game I immediately sought after the books. But here's the catch, I don't speak the original polish, czech, or russian or any other lucky country that had decent translations. I had to order them from England. Now, I have seen The Last Wish translated to my native language, but I daresay that one look deterred me from reading any further. It was scary-bad compared to english. You don't wanna know that they translated Dandelion to. />/>/>/>/>/>

So it's english for me, and something has happened with due proceedings. Some rights problems or legal scuffle prevent them from going along with the translations. It's complete bull! />/>/>/>/>/> I've found fantranslations and was recommended them but I belive in buying and supporting stuff you like. I want to sit with the actual books and just read, not staring at my sceen. That's not for me.

I would buy the rest of the books in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat Sir, believe me, I've re-read both The Last Wish and Blood of Elves several times.

So until they solve whatever legal crap they have with Sapkowski(I guess people smell money, its the usual bull) />/>/>/>/>/>, all I can do is to re-read the two books I have. And wait for Witcher 3 obviously. Man, I love Ciri! I will finish my rant with this first memory of her:

I played through Witcher 1 with a smile, but the second time with a wider one.
Especially in a certain tavern when listening to the innkeeper in Murky Waters. There's this one line he says after telling a story about a princess. "Her name was Cirilla if that means anything to you."

On my first playthrough, no, it didn't mean anything, how could it? I hadn't read the books. On my second playthrough, God, it meant everything. Thank you Sapkowski and CDPR for the witcher! Thank you! />/>/>/>/>/> />/>/>/>/>/>

I'm so sorry to hear that. I kinda know how it feels, after the recent release of the new book (Sezon Burz) we have to wait till fall 2014 for the translation. Still, it's not the same, as I know It's gonna be translated and the translation will be good.

Btw I remember my playthrough of TW1 and the innkeeper hint about Ciri. Still remember the shiver down my spine /> When she was mentioned again in the animated memories in TW2 I was pretty sure this is not the last time we hear about her :rolleyes:/>

Caspartine said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. I kinda know how it feels, after the recent release of the new book (Sezon Burz) we have to wait till fall 2014 for the translation. Still, it's not the same, as I know It's gonna be translated and the translation will be good.

Btw I remember my playthrough of TW1 and the innkeeper hint about Ciri. Still remember the shiver down my spine />/> When she was mentioned again in the animated memories in TW2 I was pretty sure this is not the last time we hear about her :rolleyes:/>/>

No, neither do I. Wouldn't that make everyones day? If Ciri actually returns I mean. Not that I read it(yet) but I've gotten some hints. From that very same innkeeper I might add. and the journal. :D Witcher 1 rocked my world!

Yes the book actually say this bro! Don't know if it may be becaouse i have the swedish translated book and the traslator just desided to add some shit. or if it differs in the new or older verison, i have the 1993 version.

Well, actually no.
The book says that she slashes his neck and blood sprays out of it onto her face. Then she strikes him in the eyes with her other hand, but since he can still see afterwards and in the end of the chapter, when Nenneke visits him after he wakes up, he only has bandages around his neck, it's quite natural to assume the princess only had ONE HAND still in monster form and she just PUNCHED him in the face with her other hand.
He also later checks to see if her "hand", not "hands", was back to normal after he successfully pins her to the ground with his sword at her throat.

The scar was a feature added in the video games to make the character more interesting and "experienced", as for his beard in the latter game. In the Witcher 3 Geralt says he got the scar from a cockatrice IIRC the monster, as to explain this additional feature which is not present in any media outside the video games.

Top Bottom