Geralt's voice is bass biased

+
Geralt's voice is bass biased

I like the voice actor for Geralt but there's so many bass in it it blows my ears. Usually I use my soundcard's equalizer to add a little bass and highs to the sound but this time I actually had to reduce the bass by about -5db. With vanilla settings it sounds like Isaac Hayes is standing behind me reading Geralts lines, and that gave me a headache after 2 hours of playing. I read that the voice had been redone for the EE, could it be that the recording studio overdid it a bit? Or am I the only one who experiences this super-deep voice of Geralt?

His voice doesn't sound super-deep to me at all, and I don't remember seeing this complaint before, so I think it might be something about your computer. I think his voice is very well done -- his voice sounds masculine without sounding like James Earl Jones, and the actor lets Geralt keep his cool most of the time without making him sound emotionless. The actor manages to do the humor well without going overboard on it, and well, it just seems really good to me.

gamewidow said:
I really like Doug C0ckle (damn and blast these filters!) i think he did an admirable job :)
I hope they had him sign a long-term contract, so he'll be Geralt for the next several Witcher releases.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I really like Doug C0ckle (damn and blast these filters!) i think he did an admirable job :)
I hope they had him sign a long-term contract, so he'll be Geralt for the next several Witcher releases.
Agree with both of you. I really like Geralt's voice in-game.Having finally gotten around to fininshing my second play-through (this time Neutral), I'm looking forward to more of Geralt's adventures - which will hopefully be voiced by Doug as well.

I'd be curious to know if this voice actor had to take any special preparation like, dunno, drink or eat something specific before any Geralt voice recording session, or he can easily sound like that in real life too " - Hey buddy, I heard you were voicing Geralt from the Witcher, amazing! - Thanks mate - Can you show me too? - Sure, gimme a second!! *clears throat* *Some Geralt-like line follows*=)

He sounds like David Hayter, the guy who voiced Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid. That's who I thought that it was at first. :hmmm:

velkito said:
I'd be curious to know if this voice actor had to take any special preparation like, dunno, drink or eat something specific before any Geralt voice recording session, or he can easily sound like that in real life too " - Hey buddy, I heard you were voicing Geralt from the Witcher, amazing! - Thanks mate - Can you show me too? - Sure, gimme a second!! *clears throat* *Some Geralt-like line follows*=)
To me, Geralt's voice doesn't sound unusual enough to warrant preparation. What I want to see happen before my very eyes is the guy who voiced the Narrator, Zoltan, and Thaler switch from one to another! I can imagine switching from one accent to another, but it's not just accent. Zoltan's voice is richer, and Thaler's is thinner -- how the heck does a person do THAT?

I'd have to agree that while i really like Doug's voice, it never struck me as anything but his regular voice ... it's possible that some languages just tend to "hang out" in the higher registers, so perhaps the english in general sounds deeper ?

Whilst playing the Russian version I noticed that he often seems to be slightly annoyed at people, especially the dumb village folk. it's those subtle tones in his voice that add depth, too bad they didn't do a Chineese version on the EE.

It sure is bassy! My subwoofers trembles on the floor when Geralt speaks and it's sooo, sooo low :peace:

He sounds like a good deep masculine voice, not fake... just enough rasp or roughness in it. I don't think IMO it sounds like the guy had to do any special preparation... some guys are just naturally deeper voiced. (wow, is that profound LOL). So far as the ability to do all diifferent voices... I know my husband's singer in his one band is absolutely amazing... the guy can sound like a wide range of vocalists, and likewise can do quite a few different sounding voices, at the drop of a hat. He says he just listens carefully to his source material (whether its for a song or an accent), then he just starts talking that way (Irish/German/Australian/American Southern Redneck/Canadian etc etc etc)...I can't do that. I think its just plain, a talent. :(

A friend of mine has a brother who works as a professional voice actor, and his voice is LOW, like Azar Javed (in English; don't know how he is in other languages) low. My friend said that his brother's nickname is "Subwoofer." God, can you imagine going through life with a nickname like that?!

Corylea said:
A friend of mine has a brother who works as a professional voice actor, and his voice is LOW, like Azar Javed (in English; don't know how he is in other languages) low. My friend said that his brother's nickname is "Subwoofer." God, can you imagine going through life with a nickname like that?!
Better than "helium" I guess.

His voice is awesome in The Witcher 1 sounds a bit like Vin Diesel in a way very much suits the character.. If the alpha of witcher 2 is anything to go by they have changed his voice so lets hope thats just to test and not going to be real or that will destroy him

Davinius said:
If the alpha of witcher 2 is anything to go by they have changed his voice so lets hope thats just to test and not going to be real or that will destroy him
If I recall correctly, the current voicover for TW2 is not final. They had to do a marketing presentation, and rounded up everyone in the office to produce a "mockup voicover" if you will. When the game reaches the appropriate development treshold, they will hire proffesional voice actors. Belive me, CD Project is *good* at finding excellant voice actors. Ask anyone who had the pleasure of playing their exceptional localisation of Baldur's Gate. CDPR may be their parent company, but it is only natural the mother company supports it.Edit: of course I've no idea if they have any say in hiring english voice actors, since it's likely a different company is in charge of the localisation!I thank you for your timeGorthuar of MirtheMaster of Arcane Magick

Top Bottom