Getting a very weird crash. the game fails on a gpuapidx12error.cpp which immediately follows a catastrophic driver crash.

+
As the title states, the game ran fine for hours last night then suddenly, every 5-10 minutes within launching the game, it crashes, i dont get a flatlined error because instead, my entire computer locks up. my display drivers crash and suddenly my monitor is dead "no signal". no error whatsoever, not even an appcrash, driver crash critical or even information event is created in windows event viewer. this hard locks my computer and requires a hard reboot every single time it happens. i cannot figure out why this suddenly happened; when i first installed the game i was able to play it for 8 hours or so, i had few issues, but suddenly this started and now it wont stop.

So far i have:

COMPLETLEY uninstalled my drivers, (DDU the whole works) reinstalled the latest drivers at default settings, issue persists.

COMPLETLEY uninstalled my CP77 game, (all appdata including save/config) reinstalled the game at default settings, issue persists.

completley reinstalled steam, issue persists.

ensured power settings on my PC are set such that no power loss or inconsistency to my gpu is present

ran a sfc scannow, though given that im on Win7 the directx wrapper is tied to the game itself so this wouldn't help anything, but i did it for good measure.

i've uploaded some of the crash logs, but i also have the ReportQueue backed up and can upload additional crashes if need be, this has happened dozens of times and happens within 30-60 minutes of the game being launched, only during active render calls (wont happen in menu or while im standing still staring at a wall for instance, seems to most consistently happen while driving or looking at arcade cabinets).

if there are any other information i need to upload please let me know, i'm quite sure it's not hardware failure as i do not have this issue in any other game and i have a brand new RTX 2070 super.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-031017-2584-7560.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-031604-11248-10008.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-030332-2488-6424.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-051627-9780-2280.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-053630-6072-6340.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-055659-7656-6424.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-070322-7776-7664.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Cyberpunk2077-20201209-234049-892-2316.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 83
  • DxDiag.txt
    47.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Cyberpunk2077-20201210-072723-7776-7904.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Windows 7, directX 12 and cyberpunk doesnt seem to go hand in hand very well. Many on win7 has this problem. That you were able to play hours before these crashes is weird, very weird.

Could also be a factory overclock issue, but unlikely since you were actually able to play for 8 hours, straight?

You could try checking updates for .NET framework via windows update. Maybe reinstalling directx since its most likely a API issue.

That might be because

DirectX 12 does not work at all in Windows 7. You need to Win 10 for it to even be possible. Which leads to the following question of:

Why on earth would a game try and access DX12 files on a system that is incapable of running it?

I have all the same symptoms of the OP, basic specs are:
Win 7 pro, 64b 32G ram, 8core 4Ghz proc. 1070ti, updated to latest vid drivers, Runs/Ran.

in short:
Win7 can not run DX12
1070ti is not a DX12 card
All game setting for DX12 features are forced disabled

So again; Why on earth would a game try and access DX12 files on a system that is incapable of running it?

Looking at my three crash reports, it appears that it is their latest hotfix that is causing the problems.

In order of occurance:

Registered crash info file...
InternalVersion: 3.0.3214677 P4CL: 4155897 Stream: /R6.Root/R6.Patch0Hotfix2
!!!CRASHED!!!
Error Reason: Assert
Expression:
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp
Line: 198

!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp
Line: 40

The third has no info as the game hadn't even loaded yet.
It hung as Nvidia overlay was trying to display the 'press Z to access overlay' that appears in the top right as soon as games initialize graphics drivers.

Hope you guys are hard at work on Hotfix 3, or Patch1

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-144215-35688-9512.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 117
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-151133-7072-5280.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 116
  • REDEngineErrorReporter.exe-20201210-172226-6912-4612.txt
    31 bytes · Views: 105
  • REDEngineErrorReporter.exe-20201210-151133-8048-7024.txt
    31 bytes · Views: 107
  • REDEngineErrorReporter.exe-20201210-144215-36816-35352.txt
    31 bytes · Views: 109
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-172226-1340-8000.txt
    31 bytes · Views: 106
Go here:
Post automatically merged:

This card doesn't exist unless you got scammed :D

im aware i can make a tech support ticket but im not searching for a 1 on 1 with a overworked staff member, im trying to gauge if this is a commonality among other users and if anyone else has had any issue like this and maybe try to find a workaround.

mistype i meant RTX, sorry i just woke up lol.

Windows 7, directX 12 and cyberpunk doesnt seem to go hand in hand very well. Many on win7 has this problem. That you were able to play hours before these crashes is weird, very weird.

Could also be a factory overclock issue, but unlikely since you were actually able to play for 8 hours, straight?

You could try checking updates for .NET framework via windows update. Maybe reinstalling directx since its most likely a API issue.
That might be because

DirectX 12 does not work at all in Windows 7. You need to Win 10 for it to even be possible. Which leads to the following question of:

Why on earth would a game try and access DX12 files on a system that is incapable of running it?

I have all the same symptoms of the OP, basic specs are:
Win 7 pro, 64b 32G ram, 8core 4Ghz proc. 1070ti, updated to latest vid drivers, Runs/Ran.

in short:
Win7 can not run DX12
1070ti is not a DX12 card
All game setting for DX12 features are forced disabled

So again; Why on earth would a game try and access DX12 files on a system that is incapable of running it?

Looking at my three crash reports, it appears that it is their latest hotfix that is causing the problems.

In order of occurance:

!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression:
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\engine\src\enginewatchdog.cpp
Line: 198

!!!CRASHED!!!
Expression:
Message: Gpu Crash for unknown reasons! Callstack here is probably irrelevant. Check if Breadcrumbs or Aftermath logged anything useful.
File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp
Line: 40

The third has no info as the game hadn't even loaded yet.
It hung as Nvidia overlay was trying to display the 'press Z to access overlay' that appears in the top right as soon as games initialize graphics drivers.

Hope you guys are hard at work on Hotfix 3, or Patch1

i am aware that DX12 does not support win7, however RTX technology isn't possible on dx9-11, and many games released in hte last yearactually are running on a DX12 version that is compatable with windows 7, it's done in a wrapper, this is why i can use my RTX card to do ray tracing and play a DX12 exlcusive game like CP77. if you're saying that i cant play CP77 on windows 7, that is incorrect.

Blacktiger, to directly address your point, the reason it is accessing a DX12 api, is because the redengine uses DX12. windows 7 cannot natively support it, but the game itself can actaully run a version of the DX12 itself. WoW actually does this right now and has for over ayear with very little issue. chances are the issue comes from a incorrect library contained within the engine, but the severity and specificity of my particular crashes confuses me and leads me to believe there are extenuating issues that i can address. furthermore, i have another computer (my SO's) that is windows 7, with an AMD gpu that runs CP77 with zero crashes. so now im a bit confused.

Blacktiger, you said latest hotfix? that would conicide with my issue, i played for a half dozen hours with no crash, i did close the game several times tweaking graphic settings, if CDPR pushed a hotfix that broke this api, that would explain why we both got it recently, i wasn't aware there was a hotfix other than the Day1 patch, is this the case? if it is then how can i go about rolling back?

Last edited:
the game seems to use "d3d12on7" wrapper by microsoft. there is a folder with that in the game files.

though it doesnt make sense to use win7 to game, win10 is clearly recommend by CD project red for this game and your graphic gard.
As i wrote "recommend" not "required". please read carefuilly, still this is correct. @CoffeeKittyy

@DC9V: GTX 2070 Super does exist.

Last edited:
So it turns out i am NOT alone in this issue.

there are a TON of people who are having catastrophic crashes from the

"File: e:\r6.patch0hotfix2\dev\src\common\gpuapi\src\dx12\gpuapidx12error.cpp"

Incorrect, dark. windows 7 is covered under the specifications within the game's specs, and i absolutely will not use windows 10, this is not the place for that particular discussion.

Last edited:
I have the same crash happening with windows 7. In my case, I noticed it only happens when a mirror is activated and actually reflecting things. Changing graphic settings doesn't change anything.

I had the crash on nomad start, but only once so I didn't think anything of it. Then I had to go through 5 or 6 crashes with the "wash your face" mirror sequence in the no-tell motel. Now I can't get past the "interlude" sequence, because the crash happens everytime the mirror that shows Silverhand's face gets in view.

Edit - added logs

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201211-004923-7524-7528.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201211-011210-6456-8012.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201211-011652-7452-7456.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I have the same crash happening with windows 7. In my case, I noticed it only happens when a mirror is activated and actually reflecting things. Changing graphic settings doesn't change anything.

I had the crash on nomad start, but only once so I didn't think anything of it. Then I had to go through 5 or 6 crashes with the "wash your face" mirror sequence in the no-tell motel. Now I can't get past the "interlude" sequence, because the crash happens everytime the mirror that shows Silverhand's face gets in view.

include your logs in your post, itll help for collating this stuff

and again... This time about to exit All Foods mission. Played through no issues. I've never seemed to have any issues with mirrors/reflections myself.

Things that can be gleaned from the crash reports if it helps.

"uptimeSeconds":20779
"stopThreadID":6820
"exceptionCode":0x80000003
"processID":1456
"Engine/CommitFailedErrorCode@1#TID=0":"0"
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/PreviousSpeed@136290238#TID=0":"Unlimited"
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/CurrentSpeed@136290239#TID=0":"Flood"
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/NumThrottleTokensAcquired@136332785#TID=0":"1"
"ResourceLoaderThrottler/NumThrottleTokensSoftLimit@136332784#TID=0":"6"

"Gpu/RayTracing/Enabled@38591664#TID=0":"false"
"Gpu/Device/Name@56#TID=0":"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti"
"Gpu/Device/Vendor@57#TID=0":"Nvidia"
"Gpu/Device/DriverVersion@58#TID=0":"Nvidia v 46079 [r460_74]"
"Gpu/Device/TotalMemoryMB@55#TID=0":"8077"
"Gpu/Device/UsedMemoryMB@136332789#TID=0":"4728"

** Edit **

Since the crash locks up the entire system, I'm gonna run Afterburner on my other monitor this time. I'll have to use my cell to cap the image, but at least we can see if the 'unknown GPU crash' is related to some sort of overload with the GPU its self. No, I don't overclock. At least I'll be able to see what is happening at the instant of the crash with the GPU. (**EDIT 2** also monitors my cpus/ram/temps and stuff, should be interesting)

Didn't realize there was a DX12wrapperToWin7. Who writes that, MS, Nvidia, or CDPR? Just curious who is responsible to fix any invalid calls or whatever. If the issue has to be gathered by CDPR and then sent elsewhere (ie: they open a ticket with MS or Nvidia). It could be ages as MS likes to kick things back as 'not our coding, it must be yours'. NVIDIA is a bit better in handling tickets from game corps.

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201210-183028-1456-7648.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
your errors black are identical to mine, and my system locks up just the same as you. i dont exactly know how the wrapper works - i think MS makes it... but it's on CDPR to implement it properly. this isn't a hard fucking fix, it's clear as day the game runs perfectly fine untill it hits certain calls, and those same assets/textures/lighting/whatever it's calling work 99.9999% of the time so block/route the calls.

As the title states, the game ran fine for hours last night then suddenly, every 5-10 minutes within launching the game, it crashes, i dont get a flatlined error because instead, my entire computer locks up. my display drivers crash and suddenly my monitor is dead "no signal". no error whatsoever, not even an appcrash, driver crash critical or even information event is created in windows event viewer. this hard locks my computer and requires a hard reboot every single time it happens. i cannot figure out why this suddenly happened; when i first installed the game i was able to play it for 8 hours or so, i had few issues, but suddenly this started and now it wont stop.

So far i have:

COMPLETLEY uninstalled my drivers, (DDU the whole works) reinstalled the latest drivers at default settings, issue persists.

COMPLETLEY uninstalled my CP77 game, (all appdata including save/config) reinstalled the game at default settings, issue persists.

completley reinstalled steam, issue persists.

ensured power settings on my PC are set such that no power loss or inconsistency to my gpu is present

ran a sfc scannow, though given that im on Win7 the directx wrapper is tied to the game itself so this wouldn't help anything, but i did it for good measure.

i've uploaded some of the crash logs, but i also have the ReportQueue backed up and can upload additional crashes if need be, this has happened dozens of times and happens within 30-60 minutes of the game being launched, only during active render calls (wont happen in menu or while im standing still staring at a wall for instance, seems to most consistently happen while driving or looking at arcade cabinets).

if there are any other information i need to upload please let me know, i'm quite sure it's not hardware failure as i do not have this issue in any other game and i have a brand new RTX 2070 super.

Exactly the same problem as you, mate. I detailed it over on the GOG forums. No reply there yet but I've seen numerous threads reference the same error message, i.e. Whoa, Cyberpunk has flatlined! (with dx12error thing in the details).

Here's the thread where I detailed my exact issues :-

Reinstalling the game on my boot drive (which is an SSD) now, but I doubt that will help. I also have limited space there.

I never got a chance to play before this "hotfix" you mention so this has been my default experience. Get past character creation, soon as game world loads my game crashes and my GPU driver shits itself.

I'm guessing it's poor implementation of the DX12 wrapper for Win 7 by CDPR. They just need to patch it.

Update: After the 1.04 patch, the crash happens now when opening the inventory. It seems, in my case, it is tied to V rendering.
Reinstalling didn't change anything.

I solved the issue by underclocking the gpu a little bit and deleting the cache folder. Not a single crash after that.

I get this exact same issue on windows 10 so this isn't a windows 7 issue... i've tried everything including swapping power supplies, reinstalling windows, verifying the game, reinstalling it, updating all drivers etc. the only difference so far was swapping my 3060 TI OC Ventus X2 out with my old 1060 6gb. weirdly this ran (hence why I swapped the psu thinking it was a power issue)... trying to underclock my 3060 now... annnd that didn't work either

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201212-220538-3840-15328.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201212-214101-14004-10300.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 149
  • Cyberpunk2077.exe-20201212-171506-2824-1488.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
your errors black are identical to mine, and my system locks up just the same as you. I don't exactly know how the wrapper works - I think MS makes it... but it's on CDPR to implement it properly. this isn't a hard fucking fix, it's clear as day the game runs perfectly fine until it hits certain calls, and those same assets/textures/lighting/whatever it's calling work 99.9999% of the time so block/route the calls.
Funny thing. Since my last post (and edits) I ran it with Afterburner up. Played like 4-5 hrs nothing, left it running. didn't play an entire day and a half. Just finished another 3 hr play session on the same launch. No problems. But I have to agree, that it appears to be some sort of call that would put an excessive load on the GPU, and if it's already under high load it just may cause the crash.

I can't seem to tie it to anything specific, like reflections, inventory, or action related to missions/combat. just seems random.

Ps. sorry got carried away with my spell/grammar check and corrected all the ones in the quote too :p

Funny thing. Since my last post (and edits) I ran it with Afterburner up. Played like 4-5 hrs nothing, left it running. didn't play an entire day and a half. Just finished another 3 hr play session on the same launch. No problems. But I have to agree, that it appears to be some sort of call that would put an excessive load on the GPU, and if it's already under high load it just may cause the crash.

I can't seem to tie it to anything specific, like reflections, inventory, or action related to missions/combat. just seems random.

Ps. sorry got carried away with my spell/grammar check and corrected all the ones in the quote too :p
That's particularly bizarre since (your use of) Afterburner just watches, it doesn't adjust, change or control anything. How would having Afterburner watching the GPU prevent the crash? Is this some quantum nonsense where it only crashes when unobserved now? (I'm not even sure if that question is sarcastic given how weirdly this has behaved.)

Edit: Realized that I needed to specify that you didn't use Afterburner to do anything, just monitor it. Wasn't clear with my original wording.

New developement :
I tried the cache deleting thing (in c:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\). All it did was basically reset game settings to install defaults (That I could see, I'm not a tech pro).
I haven't had a crash since, however, the default settings are on "HIGH", which my PC can barely handle.
I could remove artistic effects like film grain et al., but lowering actual graphic settings makes the crash happen again in inventory. I haven't been able to pinpoint a particular effect that cause the crash.

New developement :
I tried the cache deleting thing (in c:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077\). All it did was basically reset game settings to install defaults (That I could see, I'm not a tech pro).
I haven't had a crash since, however, the default settings are on "HIGH", which my PC can barely handle.
I could remove artistic effects like film grain et al., but lowering actual graphic settings makes the crash happen again in inventory. I haven't been able to pinpoint a particular effect that cause the crash.

Yep, same here.

Every time I want to launch the game and play, I always have to delete that cache folder in "AppData" or it will crash on launch.
If I even look into my in-game settings or try to change anything. When I resume the game, it instantly crashes with the DX12 Flatline error.

Last edited:
same error, win 10, kfa2 rtx2070 oc, 3800xt, sff case
"gpuapidx12error.cpp(40)" ...

so after trying out a lot and observing that on low setting theres no issue, i went back to using the nvidia experienced suggested optimum plus some. After there was no noticable difference in fanspeed between that and low, i took a closer look at the temps wich where fine according to everything the software picked up. Touching the backplate i have the sneaking suspicion, the metrics from sw are not accurate, so i cranked up the fans manually to max and that seems to work now. so there thermal paste guys where actually up to somthing, who would have thought.
still puzzels me a bit that other titels run fine, but then the rest of my library ist that demaning, especially rtx wise

Top Bottom