Getting full damage while blocking and counter-punching on fistfight mission: Beat on the Brat (can't win the last fight)

+
Personally, I managed to beat Razor (finally) by having him get stuck on top of one of the poles in the corners. Just heavy punched him over and over and he wouldn't attack back. Weird glitch.

Personally, I managed to beat Razor (finally) by having him get stuck on top of one of the poles in the corners. Just heavy punched him over and over and he wouldn't attack back. Weird glitch.

With the yellow gorilla arms, even if he's blocking, he staggers longer than it takes to wind up a heavy attack so it's impossible to actually lose that fight.

You don't really have to beat Razor, and there's absolutely no reward for it anyway.
Anyway, I beat him but getting him stuck behind the chair on the pillar from my own side. Then smacking him for a minute.

Man, I must have lost like 50+ times, f*ck this mission. The worst thing is when he does the lung and I dodge, but I still take the hit.

Guest 4509026

Stunlock with heavy attacks or get rekt. Not only do they punch trough your blocks, they will slide 3 meters mid animation to make your dodging pointless and wallop you. It's so freaking stupid.

honestly the whole fight system is just bad, like why is it a thing if it's so broken that on any difficulty it takes a ton of effort to even get a few hits in, and even if you do, you will likely lose anyway. it's like it's a big fuck you to the players, or someone just didn't finish their work before the game was released. i think it's actually a bugged questline and needs a major rework if it isn't seen that way.

I was having the same problems (getting full damage through blocking, him healing himself), and then I experimented with different perks and won.

The healing himself is not a glitch, you can watch him take a pill or something that will boost his health up. Just heavy attack when you see him go to do this, you'll see him kind of stand up straight and go to eat something.

The best way to win this fight, is to put 3 perk points into the street brawler perk that increases your melee damage 1% for every 1% of health you lose. When you put 3 points in, it is 3% for every 1% of health lost.

When you take 1 hit from Razor, it brings you down to about 20% health. This will increase your damage by 240%. Then you just need to do a couple combos on him, One heavy hit to stagger, two quick hits to the abdomen. Repeat this combo about 5-10 times and he's done.

And also the cyberware that hits your opponent with like 40% worth of their HP when your HP lowers under 20% works in this fight. Won Razor only thanks to that.

There is definitely something wrong with this questline. I am playing on Hard, got to the final fight being level 42, Body 16, a around 650 HP and 1400 armor. In these conditions, a single jumping punch from Razor would inflict 500 damage.
So I tried to get creative, I used the item that boosts max health by 20% and applied mod to increase my armor by 450.
Result? The same, single jumping punch that would inflict around 500 damage before, now inflicted 640. Basically showing that armor is useless, and that Razor practically deals percentage damage - around 80% to be precise.
And well, that is broken as hell - not to mention the fact that his attacks, and this is true for every fist fight, have an insanely large range making almost impossible to dodge consistently.
I found out that Legendary Gorilla Arms, with the knuckle mod that allows you to apply bleeding with successful hits, greatly help in these fight. But maybe I should say that without this setup the fist fights are basically impossible, unless you want to switch to a lower difficulty, which I was forced to.

Same problem, what fixed it for me was going to a ripperdoc and changing to mantis blades and then back. Then it worked as it should.
At this moment the fistfights got completely broken because blocking and counterpunching will result in me receiving FULL damage, I block a punch i get full damage, I counter a punch I get FULL damage. The first fight with the twins was OK, except I had no sound when I was getting punched but I could at least block and counter.
Then after I played 40 hours of main game with story missions and side quests etc, I resumed the quest and at the fight with the black guy named Brock or sth this problem just appeared and it just wouldn't fix itself by reloading multiple saves or restarting the game. I could beat them all (the 3 other fighters before Razor) by running away and spamming heavy hit but I cannot beat Razor because there isn't any fucking room in the boxing ring to use my only available resource to finish this fucking quest as i can't finish it on easy because he somehow still needs 50000 hits to be beat on easy. and usually once he hits, he hits, and there's nothing I can do about it. I always run out of stamina to keep staggering him, and even if I could still win using this, it's completely unfun and pointless.

Sorry for the language but this was a beyond infuriating experience and it feels satisfying to express it like this

This is exactly what I ran into. I'd literally be staring at the opponent (from a side-view) kicking air as I take damage. Not sure if it's fixed now, but I'm still going to wait a while (for possible patches) before trying these quests again.
It happened to me as well. My explanation is that the game, to determine if the attack succeeds, uses the player's position about halfway through the attack animation. After I started to move away earlier, sometimes even anticipating the NPC, I was fine.

The Ai is simply cheating. Fighters strong melee will always brake your guard. The animation will always teleport them to you and they will cast it again and again if you block or push them, with no down time. Below 30 percent, they will cast strong melee over and over to finish you off. Fighters ignore your armor and don't use stamina like the player does. Bad design.

This is were keeping it very simple would have been much better.

Have the NPC duck and weave a lot to make landing a head blow a challenge. Head shots doing the most damage. Body less and arms none or almost none.

Straight forward boxing attacks (I mean basic not punching "straight") with no teleporting animations like in Doom.

Stamina has a significant effect on the power of all blows. Blocking stops most or all physical damage but reduces your stamina depending on the power of the shots blocked.

Now it is a simple (and fun) game of who lands powerful head shots ON TARGET the most while managing their stamina.

Had the H2H been like that it would not have been the ONLY quest line in this game I ignored.

NPC stamina management would require some careful combat AI but I did it all the time in the combat mods I made for Oblivion and Skyrim. I am no genius programmer so I know this DEV could do it as well.

Last edited:
I have to agree, the Beat on the Brat missions can be incredibly difficult. I can understand taking damage while blocking, but taking damage while parrying just doesn't make sense to me. Not only do you take damage when you block/parry, but it's massive damage.

With that said, I've beaten the quest on Very Hard with a character who uses minimal cyberware (i.e., only the cyberware that's automatically slotted due to story progression) and bare fists (no gorilla arms), so it's very much beatable.

A few tips:

1. Load up on consumable buffs before the fight.
2. Do not wait too long before doing the quest. Because the bosses scale, they get harder the higher your level goes up.
3. Use Heavy Attacks to stun, and dodge instead of blocking/parrying

Ultimately, it will be a test of your ability of not getting hit, but with practice, you can control the fight with heavy attacks and memorize when you need to dodge. I do think the boss damage should be toned down, at least when you're blocking/parrying, though.

The fighting mechanics in the game are poorly thought out, if im in a ring with somebody in a one on one fight then why can't I lock on to them to face them all the time, this would give more options with the other (now redundent) thumb stick for avoiding hits or dodging/parrying etc. For such a basic fighting system its also poorly executed, why can the npc's kick too? and how do they hit me when they are the other side of the ring? or hit me when they are behind me facing the wrong way? or even go into a stumble animation to then suddenly be in a combo animation half a second later...... why are there even such stupic missions like this in the game? you have netrunners for f sake, couldn't you have come up with a netrunner fight that didn't involve punching each other? who would bother to get into a fist fight in a world where you can replace your arms with jackhammers? might as well just have Metal Lizzy fight with a titanium she... she'd be unbeatable! ........ the poor mechanics and rubbish quest thread annoyed me so much I needed to share these thoughts with you CD Project Red, I hoped for better from you.

I just threw the fight against Razor...

This is infuriating. I'm on my second playthrough... My first time playing, I was able to beat Razor legit. This time, I got through all the fights without any difficulty, even the Ozob fight, but when I fought Razor, I suddenly started taking full damage through blocks and parrys.

Switching to Mantis Blades made this problem go away... Only I never found a set this time around. So it was either start the fight, leave the arena, go to a Ripperdoc, save, buy and equip the blades, re equip the Gorilla Arms, and load the save if I messed up, all for less Eurodollars than I would make if I won the fight... Or just take a fall.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky on my first playthrough, or if this problem was added by patches, but it needs to be fixed. Next time I play the game I wont attempt the fights until I track down a cheap arm mod.

I just threw the fight against Razor...

This is infuriating. I'm on my second playthrough... My first time playing, I was able to beat Razor legit. This time, I got through all the fights without any difficulty, even the Ozob fight, but when I fought Razor, I suddenly started taking full damage through blocks and parrys.

Switching to Mantis Blades made this problem go away... Only I never found a set this time around. So it was either start the fight, leave the arena, go to a Ripperdoc, save, buy and equip the blades, re equip the Gorilla Arms, and load the save if I messed up, all for less Eurodollars than I would make if I won the fight... Or just take a fall.

I'm not sure if I just got lucky on my first playthrough, or if this problem was added by patches, but it needs to be fixed. Next time I play the game I wont attempt the fights until I track down a cheap arm mod.

you weren't supposed to be able to weapon swap in boxing fights, that was an oversight. Blocking and counters are not iframes, they are based on damage done and your armor, razor is strong enough to surpass your blocking unless you have very high armor or perks that increase your armor when blocking or both.

generally the best solution is to avoid attacks unless you are strongly invested in brawling. Beating the mission properly needs a bit of skill, or some investment in a certain build, or a combination of both.

Also the quest scales with player level I believe, so its usually difficult. In fact it may be harder at higher levels if your gear isn't great for your level. I don't think gorilla arms scales after purchase... so that might also make it harder if you wait.

Top Bottom