Getting Restless

+
Getting Restless

Ok, just to let you know, Im a fanboy. I played all the witchers at least 3 times each. I poured at least $200 into gwent so far.

But I havent played Gwent for over a week.

Im waiting for the patches or the balance changes that are so desperately needed. Where are they!

I know this is still in beta, and they're working things out but man, come on, its like they are performing a slow kill on the game.
If they dont update or refresh more than they are doing now, people are going to move on.

If new players are experiencing this mess, then they are just going to chalk it up as a bad experience and not give it another chance.
If you think about the people, like me, who put it good money for this already, we deserve a continuing effort to make this game enjoyable. Or at least some evidence of it.

Sometimes, the attitude of "it'll be ready when we say its ready" only goes so far when the people reply " Sorry, I've moved on"

a season is likely to be 2 months time. We are at 1 month and 2 days as of the OB release. There's no new patch since the game is cross-played on PC, Xbox, and PS. Small update to xbox and PS is not feasible so we have to wait a while for big fix for all 3

[
GamerGawd;n9020010 said:
Ok, just to let you know, Im a fanboy. I played all the witchers at least 3 times each. I poured at least $200 into gwent so far.

Im waiting for the patches or the balance changes that are so desperately needed. Where are they!

I know this is still in beta, and they're working things out but man, come on, its like they are performing a slow kill on the game.
If they dont update or refresh more than they are doing now, people are going to move on.

If new players are experiencing this mess, then they are just going to chalk it up as a bad experience and not give it another chance.
If you think about the people, like me, who put it good money for this already, we deserve a continuing effort to make this game enjoyable. Or at least some evidence of it.

Sometimes, the attitude of "it'll be ready when we say its ready" only goes so far when the people reply " Sorry, I've moved on"

"It'll be ready when we say its ready", or the "When its done™" meme's piss me off, Blizzard is the greatest offender here with their whole 'Trust me idiot you don't want legacy servers now by legion - your artifact weapon won't grind itself!', completely ignoring the 150k active players Nostalrius garnered. Seems to me like these sorts of game devs are tapping into the beat up mentality of the bullied schoolboy. RSI even appears to me like the cartoon bully holding it's market by the ankles as they shake it for change, the promise of a completely unrealistic and untenable product being the alternative to the inevitable bog wash. I digress though lest this further derail into personal ramblings of my outlook on psychology.

Coming back on topic I do feel your impatience, I could usually and would honestly be fine with long balance cycles for gwent if they were preceded with a brief period of hyper activity, a new patch every week or even more rapidly to iron everything out. Unfortunately this is not the case. Some cards are so incredibly below the margin and others are easy to see as above it once you actually find the baseline for cards. If I were in charge of balance I would not have allowed the game to push in the state it is in.

I honestly fear that CDPR is deliberately creating imbalance so they can force metas and in doing so artificially create an increased demand for cards and their archetypes whilst making last patches hot items somewhat nonviable. We've seen this already to an extent with Calveit decks, I suspect we'll see this again with bears. To avoid the nerfed card refund policy CDPR would only need to create the imbalance in the bronze cards that support an archetype not in the gold ones that enable it. If that should not be the case then its possible that the balance is dictated by the reddit balance team, I think the latter is perhaps the more worrying outlook.

The point I'm trying to get at is that even if more patches were pushed I'm having my doubts that these patches would actually satiate your desire for true balance, and mine for that matter.

rolandhsu;n9020250 said:
a season is likely to be 2 months time. We are at 1 month and 2 days as of the OB release. There's no new patch since the game is cross-played on PC, Xbox, and PS. Small update to xbox and PS is not feasible so we have to wait a while for big fix for all 3

Balancing is likely a fairly simple matter of changing a number or two per card generally speaking, switching between one game mechanic to another is more complicated but if the mechanic already exists then its a simple matter of copy pasting a few lines of code, choosing the number is tricky, and at worst it means repeating this process 3 times in 3 different databases. I'm not going to suggest that CDPR is lazy, but the idea that there is no logistical means to tweak the numbers on every card in the game in the space of a day if the desired values are already known and its a matter of adjusting the numbers.

Fix weather fix weather fix weather fix weather fix weather fix weather fix goddamn weather spam, thats all I care.

with weather fixed
- stupid eithne deck will disappear for good,
- shitting with axemans will be harder,
- monster will have to use strategy rather than spam weather weather weather weather goddamn weather again and again and again
- netdecked aretuza rain rain rain will be nerfed

and gwent will become BUILDING your own army instead of spamming countless weather weather weather shit on your opponent.

Enough is enough.

Redcoat2012;n9020510 said:
I honestly fear that CDPR is deliberately creating imbalance so they can force metas and in doing so artificially create an increased demand for cards and their archetypes whilst making last patches hot items somewhat nonviable.

CDPR is like "what would happen if we turn this (card) up to eleven" and then, when the house burns down, they think "whoops, should have seen that coming". I don't think they do it for financial gain, though, and the lenient refund policy is a confirmation of that. What it does create is an ever-changing meta, which might actually be one of their goals.

Weather is a major game mechanic. You can't just change it without considering how much the card interactions will change.

I'd rather that they took their time and really nail it.

We can speak of buff or nerf for many cards. Things is SK is too strong now COMPARED to other factions. There are 4 strong cards: bear, axeman (actually the combo axeman + weather), Shieldmaiden and MOkvaarg. I find the mechanics of it quite not so bad. It's just that other factions don't have such power in hand. There are many slightly changes to do but most important is to give us more cards IMO. Create shitty or situational ones for SK (as their card pool is already very strong), show ST some love with stronger mulligan and ambush synergies, give a bit more stability to NR (As aa NG player, I find NG quite ok as it is for now).
With such a small card pool, what are monsters gonna play if weather is strongly nerfed??? Consume? It sucks as it is (= need new cards to improve consume). Again nerf weather too badly and say adios to axeman (it's not what I want personnaly).

4RM3D;n9021660 said:
CDPR is like "what would happen if we turn this (card) up to eleven" and then, when the house burns down, they think "whoops, should have seen that coming". I don't think they do it for financial gain, though, and the lenient refund policy is a confirmation of that. What it does create is an ever-changing meta, which might actually be one of their goals.

If they aren't doing it for financial reasons then it honestly says more to CDPR's discredit than otherwise, this isn't all that complicated and whilst perfect balance is hard to attain decent balance is easy.

Creating an ever-changing meta is something that comes naturally in a balanced state regardless you don't need to force it. If all things were balanced then all archetypes would be viable and people would choose decks that appeal to them for aesthetics and game play reasons not a 'gotta be the very best, gotta have the very best, gotta buy them all!' mentality. A downside also is that the game is far less enjoyable on the whole for several reasons. One being that you play against the pool of 3-4 decks again and again (which we're seeing) and you can't successfully play anything outside of said decks either. The only variety is found within whether you take 3 bears or 2 bears and 1 armor smith etc. Ultimately the prominent deck builders have this worked out quickly. A second problem is that as playing outside the meta punishes you with losses, more than half the cards currently in the game may as well not be.

Don't just take my word for it take a respected professional tier card gamers. Lifecoach had a mini rant about how bad the balance is right now, worst state its ever been in, and I wholeheartedly agree, at the very top it is 3-4 decks and ultimately success is mostly down to the mulligan RNG. I cannot fathom the level of incompetence that would be required to screw the balance this bad therefore I can only believe that this is meta defining imbalance is by design, I know for a fact that CDPR as a company does not employ fools, so again what gives?

I don't think it will work, I think it will likely stifle long term profit margins as I believe it is too transparent. People like playing whack a mole because they get to whack stuff; after all its pseudo violence, not because its a pointless never ending endeavour. If success in this game means conforming to strict deck building limitations that you may or may not have to purchase 50 kegs a month to obtain I honestly doubt people will continue playing this game for long.

Also if I am right about this but it actually works then whoever proposed the idea that creating imbalance to shape meta's to create artificial demand to generate greater revenues is a genius and should be rewarded as such, respected, and employed at a senior games industry level. Again its out of respect for CDPR that I believe they are doing this for profit, otherwise they'd have to be pretty bad at balancing which is the cornerstone of a games design.

Then again if enough people spot this and decry it then it will either cause the game to die or force CDPR to change their balance philosophy, I'd hope for the later but honestly I wonder at this point if people would even care, assuming they don't just fail to see this. Again the refund policy may have been generous last patch but if the nerfs happen to the bronze cards then it hardly makes up for the 4 gold and 6 silver cards that had to be acquired to make the bronze cards work. Whats more if they just buff the weak cards above the previous meta then no refunds would ever be rewarded and yet the deck is indirectly nerfed.

If someone sets fire to their house because they wanted to test their miniature water fire extinguisher by starting an oil fire on beside their curtains do you think a court jury of their peers would accepts "wanted to see what would happen ~ whoops" as an excuse?

I really cant understand WHY Skellige is so OP. I play second game when the opponent "Cardsharp" (OMG so powerfull) use my own gold card Philippa vs me. I have examined all his cards witch he used and really CANT understand how he used my card vs me. I didnt used the card before and he didnt used Renew if you wonder. Thank you very much in advance if you answer me. They play some build with discards in witch they use Ciri: Dash with 16 and 19 value and the units who get boosted from discarding and in round 3 are 18 points each. Skellige have so many options for builds and all of them are devastating. This is very dissapointing and demotivating.

Beren_93;n9022680 said:
I really cant understand WHY Skellige is so OP. I play second game when the opponent "Cardsharp" (OMG so powerfull) use my own gold card Philippa vs me. I have examined all his cards witch he used and really CANT understand how he used my card vs me. I didnt used the card before and he didnt used Renew if you wonder. Thank you very much in advance if you answer me. They play some build with discards in witch they use Ciri: Dash with 16 and 19 value and the units who get boosted from discarding and in round 3 are 18 points each. Skellige have so many options for builds and all of them are devastating. This is very dissapointing and demotivating.

I think u got Jhonied !!

Rammyp;n9022850 said:
I think u got Jhonied !!

Its not really a SK issue cause its a neutral card (just like Ciri dash) but it works well with the SK discard deck.

Well this thread is not about OP factions and such...
Its the lack of updates or improvements that Im talking about.

I already have 2 gaming buddies that have given up on gwent because its a mess.

Now, thats 2 players gone but Im in the position of now looking to play the games we all want to play, that means Im not spending anymore money on gwent because I have to spend money on the games that are right now more enjoyable and not a lopsided mess.

Multiply this by 1000 (for the masses) and its not a very good business model.

This game in its state should not have gone into OB. With the massive overhaul it changed from CB, it should have remained CB for further testing.

Whatever the case may be with CDPR, I feel Gwent is a mess and its not being cleaned up fast enough.

I know its a free game, maybe thats the problem, if it were a paid game, people would be outraged at the lack of patches. But its free so its a "you got what you paid for" mantality. Well, I put money into this game, so...

Where are the patches and updates?

Redcoat2012;n9020510 said:
[
there is no logistical means to tweak the numbers on every card in the game in the space of a day if the desired values are already known and its a matter of adjusting the numbers.
with the bear is a BUG. There are more than few number to be fix as the order which ability activates needs to be fixed.
And holding off on update to xbox and PS is because unlike PC the marketplace for both requires application and review of a bug patch, process of which is dependent on microsoft and sony

Shabob;n9021710 said:
Weather is a major game mechanic. You can't just change it without considering how much the card interactions will change.

I'd rather that they took their time and really nail it.

You are right. But they radically changed it from CB to OB without much testing and they probably will have to do it again to solve all the problems it caused.

rolandhsu;n9023790 said:
with the bear is a BUG. There are more than few number to be fix as the order which ability activates needs to be fixed.
And holding off on update to xbox and PS is because unlike PC the marketplace for both requires application and review of a bug patch, process of which is dependent on microsoft and sony

It's getting a sequencing tweak so that lock cards don't take the one damage from them, same with cards that may outright kill the bear, this is more to do with the bears synergy with shield maidens. They'll still going to be incredibly powerful in long opening rounds. most decks can't afford to take shackles for the chance they end up a dead card so realistically have 1 lock 2 with decoy outside of NG. These bears will still push insane levels of strength. Whats more the value of a lock seems to be 4 strength as evident by the power difference in Auckes and Ciaran, if that figure is true it would mean that a locked bear is essentially a 10 strength move. I feel they would need to be dropped back to 4 strength making them a card players include for synergies and not a raw power staple. I agree there are a few cards that need the ability sequencing to be addressed, such as these succubus, Regis; he procs his check before borkh which seems a bit unfair as you can't set him up as you really ought to be able to.

It's true that corporate progress is slow, what with some offices holding meetings that discuss an upcoming meeting to discuss an office wide presentation, I'm not sure what Sony and Microsoft have to do with this however. Are you telling me that they can't update their game without Sony and XBone having to spend 2+ weeks reviewing it, do you work in the industry? It would seem to me that Sony and Microsoft owe at the least a debt of gratitude to their content creators, no one would buy their overpriced under powered plastic tat if not for the games made for it. It would seem to be of the utmost importance, that any checks that need to be made before a patch would be pushed would be done in the utmost haste.

Kind of like how good hotels have concierges that address the wants and desires of their customers and do so in a somewhat servile manner. If the opposite is the case then I guess if games devs spoke out about it openly explained, "we can't push content and balance changes as quickly as we want because of Microsoft and sony", then gamers would react much like they do whenever Bethesda tries to push paid mods.

Then again telling the gamers that their thoughts on the matter are dumb and they shouldn't question the industry seems to work fairly well so maybe I'm just being naive.

I dont know about the legalities of game development. But what I do know is that other games update and patch quite often, so I don't believe this microsoft sony explanation. This is a beta also, its expected to change often as necessary.

What I think, my opinion, is CDPR with their wide broad stroke of creative freedom, painted a messy picture when they went into OB and now, instead of making changes little by little and addressing certain issues they are attempting to do it again. A wide broad stroke to fix the first picture and radically change things yet again.

I dont know and one can only guess because, there is no news about Gwent's future as of lately.

Give us an update. Fix things.

GamerGawd;n9020010 said:

Honestly the longer Beta has gone on, the more i really do think this game unfourtunately has no future. CDPR have been utterly incapable of managing to remotely balance the game for a long time and
now are just seemingly trying to "sell out" and dumb the game down into a tempo + spammable effects clusterfuck. I believe their falling into the trap several CCG devs have made in selling out their own successes and trying instead to copy the big boy in the playground (Hearthstone.)

Zjiin;n9026270 said:
Honestly the longer Beta has gone on, the more i really do think this game unfourtunately has no future. CDPR have been utterly incapable of managing to remotely balance the game for a long time and
now are just seemingly trying to "sell out" and dumb the game down into a tempo + spammable effects clusterfuck. I believe their falling into the trap several CCG devs have made in selling out their own successes and trying instead to copy the big boy in the playground (Hearthstone.)

It would be a shame if that were the case, the game right now actually is headed in a good direction in many ways. Weather is improved mechanically but is being ruined by Aretuza's and Hounds making it free to spam, look at the weather spam decks and 2 of 3 (4 if you count spellatael as weather spam it varies though) are abusing this. If the hounds and the Aretuza's simply spawned the weather effects instead of drawing them then it would help, but when you in essence have weather cards getting +4/5 power and a thinning mechanism you bet it'll be spammed.

I hope they don't go after the hearthstone crowd either and instead tried to appeal to magic players. I view Hearthstone as a math learning game for 5 year olds to be frankly honest, as do many people. Lots of people play magic I imagine they'd like the convenience gwent provides would appeal to them but they'll see through shit balance quicker than a hot knife through butter. If anything keeping the HS players out the game may be better on the whole.

Redcoat2012;n9025910 said:
Kind of like how good hotels have concierges that address the wants and desires of their customers and do so in a somewhat servile manner. If the opposite is the case then I guess if games devs spoke out about it openly explained, "we can't push content and balance changes as quickly as we want because of Microsoft and sony", then gamers would react much like they do whenever Bethesda tries to push paid mods.

I can confirm that this is a common situation with games that are on both xbox and playstation as well as PC. Unlike pcs, console are governed by a central body - be it nintendo, sony or microsoft. I looked into it and it is largely there to prevent a disastrous patch such as the one that EVE Online faced years ago - one that could damage the console itself and hurt the console companies' profits.

To this day some companies will just split their pc version completely just so they can update the pc game at a more regular pace and not have to worry about synching, cross platform play is somewhat rarer in online games because of this.

Well if that's truly the case, then the fact is Gwent should not have been in put in OB on any consoles until more testing was done.
It shouldn't have even been offered to consoles at this early stage.
It isn't ready for the masses. It should have been left in CB on Pc only.

Look at the massive overhaul it changed into when it went to OB. Core features were added and some scrapped. Those kind of changes require massive testing and should have been done on PC to frequently patch and analyze.

I'm sure CDPR had their reasoning to release this to consoles, but it was much too early to do so.

By my experience,(i play solo on PC and with friends on xbox) my xbox gwent is now dead. My friends, who were playing it regularly with me, don't want to play it anymore because it's not fun anymore and so unbalanced, it feels scripted. Shampoo, rinse and repeat.

I know Gwent has a dedicated long future plan but man, their timing plan is so bad. I don't know their console DL stats but I'm sure their dedicated player base is hurting with the state Gwent is in now.

IMO, it should have stayed PC only in closed beta a lot longer than it did.

Top Bottom