Getting rid of bullet sponge cheat in games.

+
CDPR said they would try to reduce the bullet sponge feel by making sure you see reactions to all significant hits in the game. I think they did a good job of that (showing hit reactions). And it was pointed out to me how clever it was to make the player have reduced health in one important battle because of the relic weakening you. That was one very good, logical and realistic way to NOT have to use bullet sponges enemies!

But I am wondering what else can be done instead of raising enemy health or lowering damage of player attacks.

It should be noted that I prefer that what ever you do for the enemy should also be done to the player. So for example if you give the player a bunch of health “potions” that they can drink while behind cover so should the enemies.

Some ideas I would like to see used more in this and other games:

Make more reasons for the player to miss their shots (make it A LOT harder to aim when you run and jump).

Much more use of cover! Have them shoot wild sometimes by reaching around or over cover.

Much MUCH more use of ducking and dodging and blocking.

Destroyable armor and shields that you can see being destroyed.

Visible evasion, like serpentine movement not just running straight to you!

Use of fallback and retreating both when injured AND as a tactic.

More use of enemy grenades (I found it strange how little was used in this game).

Use of environmental hazards, such as pushing over a stack of barrels on you or pushing you into fire or over an edge.

Much more use of knocking down and tripping but also allow shooting (with a lot of weapon sway) from the grounded position.

Blindness! Flash weapons, hot coffee in the face, punch to the nose, sand in the eyes…

I did all of the above (except for wild shooting and grenades, and I even did ground fighting in a mod for Skyrim) in a mod for oblivion. And I am not that great at coding (poor actually) so I know the pros can do it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom