Ghouls need a nerf and thrive cards reworked

+
Still not happy with CDPR's so called nerved Ghouls: 6 provisions for consuming bronze cards from graveyard.
With Griffins you'll spend 13 provisions and you'll get 16 raw value this number rises even more when thrive cards are on the board.
Griffin for 7 provisions is O.K. but Ghoul should be at least 8 provisions considered the high tempo in one turn.

Thrive are easy points the mechanic is fine but in a long round they reach to much value considered their provision costs.
These thrive units can easily reach up to 4 points per turn there is no other faction with so many value per unit per turn.
So I'd like them nerfed or changed to make it harder to gain value.
For example trigger thrive only when you play a monster from the same category for example:

- Nekkers gain thrive when you play a Cyclops (ogroid)
- Wyvern gains thrive when you play a Griffin (beast)
- Drowner gains thrive when you play Ghoul (necrophage)

Or let them cost more provisions and do less damage basicly the same aproach with the crazy NG and ST cards in the past (Deithwen arbalest, Magne division, Vryhedd officer).

- Nekkers 2x 2 value; 5 provisions
- Wyvern 3 value; 5 provisions; 1 damage
- Drowner 3 value; 6 provions; 2 damage

Last edited:
The problem is not thrive/ghouls; it's that Yrden was over-nerfed. Yrden used to counter ghoul/thrive strategy and could be a counter to harmony, which is the new tier 1 deck. But Yrden was wrecked and no one runs it anymore, just like Regis: Higher Vampire. People can now run ghouls without any fear of backfiring. Buffing Yrden back to 4 power would counter 2 of the most powerful decks right now: Big woodland and harmony. Also, Regis: HV is unplayable outside of Foltest decks. A shame, considering this is a vampire themed expansion.

Still not happy with CDPR's so called nerved Ghouls: 6 provisions for consuming bronze cards from graveyard.
For 13 provisions you'll get 16 raw value this number rises even more when thrive cards are on the board.
Griffin for 7 provisions is O.K. but Ghoul should be at least 8 provisions considered the high tempo in one turn.

Thrive are easy points the mechanic is fine but in a long round they reach to much value considered their provision costs.
These thrive units can easily reach up to 4 points per turn there is no other faction with so many value per unit per turn.
So I'd like them nerfed or changed to make it harder to gain value.
For example trigger thrive only when you play a monster from the same category for example:

- Nekkers gain thrive when you play a Cyclops (ogroid)
- Wyvern gains thrive when you play a Griffin (beast)
- Drowner gains thrive when you play Ghoul (necrophage)

Or let them cost more provisions and do less damage basicly the same aproach with the crazy NG and ST cards in the past (Deithwen arbalest, Magne division, Vryhedd officer).

- Nekkers 2x 2 value; 5 provisions
- Wyvern 3 value; 5 provisions; 1 damage
- Drowner 3 value; 6 provions; 2 damage
I agree with you. But I think thete is a bigger problem, in my opinion someone in the development team loves monsters and gives them some extra love. Also, the ever nerfing cycle shows they haven’t really figured it out. Magic the Gathering prints cards and they can’t reprint every month. They have tournament ban lists, in the current standard format ther is one card on the ban list.

The problem is not thrive/ghouls; it's that Yrden was over-nerfed. Yrden used to counter ghoul/thrive strategy and could be a counter to harmony, which is the new tier 1 deck. But Yrden was wrecked and no one runs it anymore, just like Regis: Higher Vampire. People can now run ghouls without any fear of backfiring. Buffing Yrden back to 4 power would counter 2 of the most powerful decks right now: Big woodland and harmony. Also, Regis: HV is unplayable outside of Foltest decks. A shame, considering this is a vampire themed expansion.

I'd rather avoid a solution within the neutral cards.
Yrden and higher vampire are still good but they won't fit in every deck.

Thrive has always been really strong in my opinion. Now it's even more obvious with the harmony tag, which is much harder to achieve than thrive. I've had a couple suggestion to make thrive less powerful. One of them I think I saw somewhere else already but thrive shouldn't trigger with boosted unit on deploy like consume, only based on base strengh.
Another idea I had, to make it maybe a little closer to harmony, was to make it trigger only if you put a unit stronger than the other ones you control. Like that, while for harmony you have to put new categories everytime and choose the order you play your cards in, with thrive you have to put units stronger and stronger to achieve it. Could also work with consume then, making the player not automatically choose the higher unit to consume (usually from graveyard).

To the point -> Thrive needs nerf (limit), period. Comparing to Harmony, it is much more powerful. Compare it to Assimilate, well you can just laugh. 3 limit is more than reasonable. You can always buff Gernichora with more provision points. Nonetheless, this madness needs to stop. You can match against a Gernibraindead with ALL your engines alive and still lose easily.

I can simply say this is a mathematical issue, Thrive ability sometimes even costs next to no provisions (Wyvern - already a 5/5 card). I belive it is common sense and will eventually get a nerf.

If Thrive is nerfed, I think making it row dependent would be the best choice. This way players would need to overcommit to a single row, if they want to get full value out of thrive, which will make them weaker against row punishment cards.

I really like this idea! Should be much more "clear" than my 3 point limit suggestion.

Top Bottom