Glitches and now game breaking bug just before Griffin...

+
Glitches and now game breaking bug just before Griffin...

Oh well, I was prepared for this but it still hurts.

I don't have much free time for gaming so this is pretty annoying considering how much I am enjoying this game. I have put in around 6 hours and just reached the point where you're supposed to "get ready to fight the griffin". And this is where my quest ends and I have to restart the game from scratch...

I've had a series of bugs since I started the game. The most annoying was believe it or not a "spy notes" document that you find at a camp site. Why? Because in my case the qty of that document showed as 10,000. You read that right. Meaning when I picked it up, the game would hang for 5 seconds then I'f find myself loaded with 900, yes NINE HUNDRED packs of 100 Spy Notes.

Other than that, I got stuck in a wall UNDERWATER in the well where you fight the wraith, got the Dirty Funds glitch where the quest never actually starts and so on.

But the worst was yet to come. When I reach Vesemir to let him know that I am ready for the Griffin fight, he starts running and I can't move. Any button that I press tells me that I can't do this at that time. If I access the menu, I can only select Alchemy. Based on a Youtube walkthrough that I watched, it seems you're supposed to make some Thunderbolt potions. Except that yours truly DOES NOT have that potion in his alchemy menu. What I do have is some Tawny Owl potion that I am not even sure you're supposed to have at that point in the game as I can't find any video or guide mentioning this potion before the Griffin fight. I am not even sure when i got that potion as my earliest save was at the Frying Pan mission (2 hours into the game) and I already had it...

I don't even want to take a chance and start playing from that save game so I just restarted from scratch...

I pray this won't happen again. I have the GOG version by the way, updated to 1.03. Can't find anyone with the same bug online...

I'm playing on PC too. I have not encountered those bugs, but I did receive the formula for Thunderbolt when I got to that step in the griffon quest chain.

I just watched a video on youtube showing me what's supposed to happen after talking to Vesemir... You get a pop-up message asking you to brew some Thunderbolt potions and then when accessing the Alchemy screen you get a tutorial on how to brew potions... I didn't get any of this. Geralt just stays stuck on the same spot and when accessing the Alchemy menu I can't see any Thunderbolt potions, just Tawny Owl which no one seems to have at this point in the game...

Well what do you know! I got ready to start a new game tonight but thought I'd try loading one last time my previous save. Bam! Another glitch but this time, it helped! I got a message that I received a Thunderbolt formula AND 3 potions spawned automatically without me needing to brew them!
Was expecting an epic fight with the Griffin but managed to take that overgrown chicken down waaay too easily... Got hit once I think... And I didn't even use the potions! Just enhanced Aard and weapons...

Well, it appears I may have the same problem. I contacted tech support, I sent them the newest game save file, and they're telling me that it looks ok. I'm retracing my steps thinking maybe I missed a lootable container or page from a merchant...so far, no luck. Any suggestions, or is new game my only option?

Well, it appears I may have the same problem. I contacted tech support, I sent them the newest game save file, and they're telling me that it looks ok. I'm retracing my steps thinking maybe I missed a lootable container or page from a merchant...so far, no luck. Any suggestions, or is new game my only option?

Strange. As I said, the issue fixed itself automatically... I didn't do anything. What I do think happened is that I spent too much time exploring before that part. Perhaps I wasnt supposed to get the Tawny Owl potion before the Thunderbolt potion.

This is the problem with such a huge game. There is no limit to what you can do and explore but I was ALWAYS unsure whether to explore an area or not, fearing that it might break a quest later on...

Oh well, I was prepared for this but it still hurts.

I don't have much free time for gaming so this is pretty annoying considering how much I am enjoying this game. I have put in around 6 hours and just reached the point where you're supposed to "get ready to fight the griffin". And this is where my quest ends and I have to restart the game from scratch...

I've had a series of bugs since I started the game. The most annoying was believe it or not a "spy notes" document that you find at a camp site. Why? Because in my case the qty of that document showed as 10,000. You read that right. Meaning when I picked it up, the game would hang for 5 seconds then I'f find myself loaded with 900, yes NINE HUNDRED packs of 100 Spy Notes.

Other than that, I got stuck in a wall UNDERWATER in the well where you fight the wraith, got the Dirty Funds glitch where the quest never actually starts and so on.

But the worst was yet to come. When I reach Vesemir to let him know that I am ready for the Griffin fight, he starts running and I can't move. Any button that I press tells me that I can't do this at that time. If I access the menu, I can only select Alchemy. Based on a Youtube walkthrough that I watched, it seems you're supposed to make some Thunderbolt potions. Except that yours truly DOES NOT have that potion in his alchemy menu. What I do have is some Tawny Owl potion that I am not even sure you're supposed to have at that point in the game as I can't find any video or guide mentioning this potion before the Griffin fight. I am not even sure when i got that potion as my earliest save was at the Frying Pan mission (2 hours into the game) and I already had it...

I don't even want to take a chance and start playing from that save game so I just restarted from scratch...

I pray this won't happen again. I have the GOG version by the way, updated to 1.03. Can't find anyone with the same bug online...

I'd highly suggest you don't ever save over the same slot, if possible (I don't know about the consoles, if limited just use as many saves as possible and save to the slots in rotation). This applies to every game that is complex as this one. You'll never regret using "too many" saves.

FYI, are you using mods? Those are some crazy bugs, I haven't had anything near that severe in 200+ hours.

I am late to this ofc, but i wonder if anyone have the problem now? i have about 600 hours into this game and usaly when bugs like this happens i can just reload a save. But it doesn't work this time and i love the game and want to play it, i have no problems with starting over the game since it doesn't take me that long to get here if i just skip dialogue but saw on another discussion that he tried that and it didn't work. I tried to verify game files. Didnt work. Happy for any response. Thank you (Update) I restarted the game and i speedrun it but same issue. I'm gonna uninstall the game and install it to see if it fixes the issue, i'll start from the start just in case. (Update) when reinstalling the game it didn't work. However when i started a newgame+ with an lvl 50 account it worked, probably beacause it doesn't tell you to make a thunderbolt since you already has it. If you have this problem and don't have newgame+ i don't know how to solve your issue. Maybe try to get thunderbolt thru the console somehow. (Enable console via mod) Good luck

Last edited:
Top Bottom