GOG or Steam key in PC Retail version of Cyberpunk 2077?

+
Undecided. Have most titles on steam. And my experience with Galaxy and GOG installers has put me somewhat in some kind of love-hate relationship... :) Damn. I have been waiting for this game since 1994. I can go with BOTH :)

Undecided. Have most titles on steam. And my experience with Galaxy and GOG installers has put me somewhat in some kind of love-hate relationship... :) Damn. I have been waiting for this game since 1994. I can go with BOTH :)
You don't need GOG Galaxy.
CP2077 will be completely DRM free.

People forget about that many times. Also when you mention Steam, Epic Store, Origin, Uplay etc. u should keep always in mind that these applications are not just Launchers, they're also DRMs in its base core.
GOG Galaxy is probably the only launcher out there that is, in its true nature, just a real (optional) launcher for easier management of your games.

Last edited:
You don't need GOG Galaxy.
CP2077 will be completely DRM free.

People forget about that many times. Also when you mention Steam, Epic Store, Origin, Uplay etc. u should keep always in mind that these applications are not just Launchers, they're also DRMs in its base core.
GOG Galaxy is probably the only launcher out there that is, in its true nature, just a real (optional) launcher for easier management of your games.
Answering OP others as said Retail will contain a GOG Key From Amazon UK Store link
A GOG.com account is required for the PC digital download format.
It's an old thread, but I feel compelled to correct this common misconception, that Store Clients are, "DRMs in its base core".

No Store Client, by it's nature, is inherently DRM, as Galaxy clearly demonstrates.
First lets look at platforms, individually, and restrict ourselves to Single Player, and playing the game.
So No Internet connection is required to play the game.
To be shown as DRM Free Store Client, only one single player game must be playable without being forced to run the client at the same time. Witcher 3, is a known DRM free game, and CDPR will not sell it on sites that have DRM built into the client, and forced onto the game.

DRM Free Store Clients

GOG Galaxy = DRM Free Reason: All Game run without starting Client - Conclusion: Client has no built in DRM
GOG Offline Installer = Not a Store client. GOG has DRM free policy - Conclusion: Games have no built in DRM

Epic Games = DRM Free Reason: Game runs without starting Client - Conclusion: Client has no built in DRM
Public Knowledge: Epic has no DRM, games can use any DRM
Personal Knowledge:
Metro Exodus uses Denuvo DRM, and requires launching with client approximately every 72 hours
However, after that launch, game can be run without the client for another 72 hours, a Denuvo requirement
Control is DRM free, and never needs client to run, except for updating the game.

Steam = DRM Free Reason: Game runs without starting Client - Conclusion: Client has no forced built in DRM
This may surprise some people, because the Steam API, does actually have DRM.
It's not forced onto games though, the developers free to choose whether they use it, or not.
The Big List of DRM-Free Games on Steam - PCGW (PC Gaming Wiki)

Origin = DRM Free Reason: Game runs without starting Client - Conclusion: Client has no forced built in DRM
This one even surprises me, but Witcher 3 is sold on the store, with the statement that, "Game uses DRM free technology", and it has no attached Origin EULA, unlike other 3rd party Games that are also sold DRM free on GOG .
Which along with CDPR statement that Witcher 3 is DRM free on all PC stores, leads to the conclusion that Origin DRM is, as optional as Steam's, but whether another game on the store has the clout, or determination to force EA to concede is debatable, but we only need a single instance of a DRM free game to show the DRM isn't forced by the client.

DRM Store Clients
Uplay = DRM Reason: No game I know of runs without the client - Conclusion: Client may have built-in DRM
Unlike EA's Origin store, Uplay only sells games made by Ubisoft, and even if you buy Ubisoft games on Epic, or Steam it still requires the Uplay, but if they sold 3rd party games, just like Origin, I think we'd see Witcher 3 sold, and DRM free.

I have found no conclusive evidence that any Store Client is now inherently DRM, but that certainly wasn't always the case.
In it's earliest iterations Uplay required an always online connection, even for Single Player only games, and that made it DRM, but the clear stupidity of such practices were soon exposed, and it only took a few outages of the network, for that stupid folly to end.

Uplay, and Origin are certainly the stores that have most fostered the common misconception that store clients are DRM.

What about other Stores?
Not sure any, but Battle.net, are big enough to consider.
Bethesda seem to have largely given up on their you must use our Store, or nothing aspirations, and I've never used their store.

I've left Battle.net out for two reasons, I've never used it, and the main reason is because, as far as I'm aware, Blizzard have not made an SPG, since their first Warcraft RTS, and online multiplayer, by it's very nature requires connection to a server.

How is any server to differentiate between users, and coordinate multiplayer games, it clearly needs to confirm each users ID, to keep track of what data goes where, so even on a fully DRM free site like GOG, the server has separate requirements to the game.

This can be easily shown, where games have both Single Player, and multi-player modes, if the single player is DRM free, then so is the Multiplayer. The server needs some form of player ID, and it doesn't matter whether it uses the old style CD Key, a game specific Login, or an account login, it's a requirement of the server, not the game.

If you accept evidence, I've clearly shown that Store Clients, are not inherently DRM, though the store owners can clearly have their own DRM, it is always separated from the client. When even EA has a DRM free game on Origin, it's clear, direct, and indisputable evidence that DRM is attached to the Game, not the Store. With the sole exception that forcing an always online requirement, to single player modes/games, is DRM, while for online multiplayer it's required to function, and not DRM.

Thankfully the days of always online SPGs seem to be over.

Top Bottom