GOG to Steam

+
GOG to Steam

Hello.

I've pre-ordered GOG version of Witcher 3. I see there's a digital backup - from Steam to GOG. Is it possible to transfer in some way a game from GOG to Steam (delete from GOG and add on Steam)? Would like to use Steam infrastructure to play my games. And there's no expansion pack (which I wanted to purchase) avaiable at GOG yet.

Thank you.

Hello.

I've pre-ordered GOG version of Witcher 3. I see there's a digital backup - from Steam to GOG. Is it possible to transfer in some way a game from GOG to Steam (delete from GOG and add on Steam)? Would like to use Steam infrastructure to play my games. And there's no expansion pack (which I wanted to purchase) avaiable at GOG yet.

Thank you.

The only way would be to cancel your preorder on GOG, and preorder on Steam. However, I don't recommend to do this, because, first, preordering Witcher 3 on GOG gives you more bonus goodies (such as digital comic book and papercraft dolls designs), most of which you can immediately access, and second, if you buy the game on GOG, 100% of your money will go to CD Projekt, the developers of the Witcher games (CD Projekt owns GOG), which will help them to develop awesome games in the future.

The expansion pass is available on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

The only way would be to cancel your preorder on GOG, and preorder on Steam. However, I don't recommend to do this, because, first, preordering Witcher 3 on GOG gives you more bonus goodies (such as digital comic book and papercraft dolls designs), most of which you can immediately access, and second, if you buy the game on GOG, 100% of your money will go to CD Projekt, the developers of the Witcher games (CD Projekt owns GOG), which will help them to develop awesome games in the future.

The expansion pass is available on GOG:
http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

what he said. also with the whole paid mods contraversy, it's better to avoid steam for the time being until things get clear. (wouldn't be surprised if valve would try to cash on TW3 mods in some way)

Guest 3790055

Nobody should worry about paid mods for TW3. Because paid mods need Steam Workshop. TW3 won't support it as the game is not Steam-only.

Sadly no, i think.
I would prefer it myself, i like the steam environment a lot more and hate the late and tedious patches from GoG.
But i want as much of my money to go to CDPR, so i will have to put up with GoG. It's a struggle sometimes, but i think i will endure.

Edit: And about the Steam mods:
1. The developer has to aggree, so if TW3 mods would be monetized it would be because CDPR gave the Ok.
2. Modders don't have to monetize if they don't want to. They can still release the mods for free.

Last edited:
what he said. also with the whole paid mods contraversy, it's better to avoid steam for the time being until things get clear. (wouldn't be surprised if valve would try to cash on TW3 mods in some way)

Valve couldn't have paid mods for Witcher 3 without permission from CD Projekt first.

Support e-mail The Wtcher 3 pre-order

Hello guys,

I was wondering if there is a support email for The Witcher 3? I recently got my game from buying a GTX 970, but nvidia made me claim it on gog.com, i don't own nor I plan on buying games there.

Do you guys think there's a chance I could transfer my game's license from gog to steam by talking to CD PROJEKT's support? I own both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 on steam, it would suck to have The Witcher 3 on some website i don't even use!

Thanks in advance.

You can try, but don't expect to succeed. You can contact support via the "Support" tab at the top of the sceen.

There's a reason why this is through GOG. They're owned by CDPR.

There's no "Witcher 3" support (yet at least).

I have been trying to find an email to send for support and never got a reply.

Actually, can't you add non-steam games to steam? Don't see why that would be a problem for a DRM tw3.

Actually, can't you add non-steam games to steam? Don't see why that would be a problem for a DRM tw3.

What Mecha Fish said is your best bet. I've added some GOG games to Steam library and they worked fine and I could access Steam interface. It doesn't work 100% of the time though and may or may not for Witcher 3.

You usually can, but that just adds them to the library. It doesn't turn them into Steam versions.

Oh no, I know. I suppose it depends on what exactly the OP means by Steam's infrastructure. If it's just adding it to the library, then they could avoid all kinds of troubles with cancelling pre-orders and what not.

Tuco

Forum veteran
Valve couldn't have paid mods for Witcher 3 without permission from CD Projekt first.
It's nice to see someone who knows what he's talking about.

On a side note, I can understand what CDPR's logic behind their choice can be ("We won't give away Steam keys since we don't want to encourage people to try a competing service") but the bitter irony of it is that giving "GoG "backup" wherever you buy the game and not the other way around, they are more or less actively encouraging people to buy their games elsewhere.

I mean, I'm probably going to buy it on GoG like the two previous ones, in the end, but I can't help but notice how buying the game on Steam i would get both a Steam AND a GoG copy, while buying on GoG I will only get the latter.

I mean, I'm probably going to buy it on GoG like the two previous ones, in the end, but I can't help but notice how buying the game on Steam i would get both a Steam AND a GoG copy, while buying on GoG I will only get the latter.

I understand the point you're making, but the free GOG backup announcement is for retail versions only, not Steam this time. So if you buy the Steam version, you get Steam only.

@MMrrTT - you may also want to take note of that. There has NOT been any announcement of a GOG backup for the Steam version, so your reasons for wanting to change your order may be based on something that you mis-heard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom