GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your Region

+
GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your Region

GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your RegionWe’ve come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues with using a customer’s IP address to determine what offer they are being presented with from GOG.com. A good number of users can find themselves negatively impacted by a policy of using geo IP to set their region.For example, customers may be travelling when they want to purchase or download a game from GOG.com. In this case, automatic IP address capture might change the price or the content of the game they’re ordering (such as the default language of the installer). Further, geo IP data collection is not always right. IP addresses are not a perfect or unique identifier of location, and can report the incorrect region of users, particularly ones who are not using standard Internet connections. Finally, we’re always very sensitive of our users’ privacy. Effective privacy protections for our users means that any data that we don’t need to collect, we shouldn’t. We only need to know the country that you’re making this purchase from, so although we originally planned to use geo-IP to determine user’s location, we’ve decided to trust our users and let them inform us as to the correct region for their purchase.Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.EDIT: We'll update the privacy policy on our website to reflect this tomorrow, because we're having caching problems with it today. rest assured, the new changes are in effect even if the page doesn't show it.
Source: http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_updates_privacy_policy_will_no_longer_use_geo_ip_to_determine_your_regionSo what it means? Gamers that they can easily bypass certain countries' restriction & regulations by registering themselves under other countries :p.

archaven said:
GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your RegionWe’ve come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues with using a customer’s IP address to determine what offer they are being presented with from GOG.com. A good number of users can find themselves negatively impacted by a policy of using geo IP to set their region.For example, customers may be travelling when they want to purchase or download a game from GOG.com. In this case, automatic IP address capture might change the price or the content of the game they’re ordering (such as the default language of the installer). Further, geo IP data collection is not always right. IP addresses are not a perfect or unique identifier of location, and can report the incorrect region of users, particularly ones who are not using standard Internet connections. Finally, we’re always very sensitive of our users’ privacy. Effective privacy protections for our users means that any data that we don’t need to collect, we shouldn’t. We only need to know the country that you’re making this purchase from, so although we originally planned to use geo-IP to determine user’s location, we’ve decided to trust our users and let them inform us as to the correct region for their purchase.Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.EDIT: We'll update the privacy policy on our website to reflect this tomorrow, because we're having caching problems with it today. rest assured, the new changes are in effect even if the page doesn't show it.
Source: http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_updates_privacy_policy_will_no_longer_use_geo_ip_to_determine_your_regionSo what it means? Gamers that they can easily bypass certain countries' restriction & regulations by registering themselves under other countries :p.
It means that GoG is a company that actually cares about their customers, unlike a lot of others who care about money and impose retarded restrictions due to countires/territory. Good move GoG.

GO AUSSIES! *ouch* I mean... No comment.. It's nothing official, but I would tap their back and raise my hand to show them the route to "poland". I'm just trying to be honest.. really.

Thanks for sharing. This is great news.This is the first time I have seen such gamer friendly revisions of policy. I just hope it won't be exploited, and that they will regret this later on.

I think that it is much easier for GoG to do something like this, then it is for Steam, Gamersgate, or Direct2drive. Biggest reason why, lets be honest GoG sells games that have basically been forgotten about, no longer sold anywhere, publishers probably don't keep close watch to this kind of stuff. But with Steam and the other places they are selling games that are new and fairly new, publishers for different areas for the same game are going to want to make sure they get their piece of the pie from their respective countries/regions, and more then likely would scream and yell at Steam and the others if they tried to do the same thing as GoG.

well it's not so nice for me actually .... i'm polish living in UK and if i'll change my country at GOG to poland i'll need to pay way to much euros compared to pound sterling heh :D

Well... when I lie and put in UK, they don't believe me and still show me the offer in German, on the www.gog.com/EN page...And why haven't I ever seen any word about the pre-load on my pre-ordered page? Only know it from here, but GoG never said a word. :(

DelightfulMcCoy said:
Well... when I lie and put in UK, they don't believe me and still show me the offer in German, on the www.gog.com/EN page...And why haven't I ever seen any word about the pre-load on my pre-ordered page? Only know it from here, but GoG never said a word. :(
Did you read the bottom of the link posted?
Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.EDIT: We'll update the privacy policy on our website to reflect this tomorrow, because we're having caching problems with it today. rest assured, the new changes are in effect even if the page doesn't show it.

SystemShock7 said:
Did you read the bottom of the link posted?
Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.EDIT: We'll update the privacy policy on our website to reflect this tomorrow, because we're having caching problems with it today. rest assured, the new changes are in effect even if the page doesn't show it.
Yes, I did, but I might have interpreted it wrongly. I'll wait until tomorrow then, before I complain again. ;)

archaven said:
GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your RegionWe’ve come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues with using a customer’s IP address to determine what offer they are being presented with from GOG.com. A good number of users can find themselves negatively impacted by a policy of using geo IP to set their region.Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.
So what it means? Gamers that they can easily bypass certain countries' restriction & regulations by registering themselves under other countries :p.
That's wonderful news!! I predict an awful lot of new GOG members from Australia. :)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
GOG Updates Privacy Policy, Will No Longer Use Geo-IP to Determine Your RegionWe’ve come to the conclusion that there are a number of issues with using a customer’s IP address to determine what offer they are being presented with from GOG.com. A good number of users can find themselves negatively impacted by a policy of using geo IP to set their region.Any of you who are having problems with your country’s location (and the offer you're presented with) can update this by going to ”My Account” and clicking on “Account & Settings."The change is now live on GOG.com and will effect all current purchases and preorders.
So what it means? Gamers that they can easily bypass certain countries' restriction & regulations by registering themselves under other countries :p.
That's wonderful news!! I predict an awful lot of new GOG members from Australia. :)
Actually I predict a sudden drop of Australian residents on GOG ;D

Top Bottom