GOG vs. GOG Galaxy files (missing something?)

+
telemetryKeyword.ws
is also a file used in the console mod.
don't forget to check that it's not the modded one.

I think GOG Galaxy mistakenly removed that file. I tested performance with and without that file and it was identical in-game, but without streaming.cache file, major cinematic cut scenes ran with a lot of stutter... I put the file back and FPS in cut scenes went waaay up!

i actually removed that file and i haven't encountered any such problems. or any problems for that matter.
but i did finish the main game already and am playing blood and wine. maybe it just doesn't affect anything in that expansion.

I used GOG installers and patches (NOT GALAXY) and my "telemetryKeyword.ws" has the same line as the Steam version - import final function LogWithName( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents ); .

Mods work perfectly fine on my rig.

Many mods have the prerequisite of using the vanilla scripts (downloadable from the mods page), and those are from steam fine ones. May be it's your case?
I did a clean install with all the later installers from my account at GOG's.

Several users at other forum have confirmed the mismatch with this very same file.

---------- Updated at 08:33 PM ----------

telemetryKeyword.ws
is also a file used in the console mod.
don't forget to check that it's not the modded one.

i actually removed that file and i haven't encountered any such problems. or any problems for that matter.
but i did finish the main game already and am playing blood and wine. maybe it just doesn't affect anything in that expansion.

That file seems not to be necessary in the unmodded game, so it's normal you didn't found issues. The point it's not THAT file, but the fact bwtween GOG's and steam's files there are 136 files mismatch, (including that named telemetry.ws bugged one).

Guest 3841499

Could someone test long/big cut-scenes when streaming.cache is removed? On my PC the absence of that file causes long Ciri cut-scenes to be really choppy. When that file is present, the same cut-scenes are smooth as butter.

I've started a new game to test what you said, the first big cutscene with Ciri plays exactly the same with or without the 6BG streaming.cache file.

Guest 3841499

Weird... BaW also has its own streaming.cache file and it can also be removed without any negative consequences, but since ALL version of Witcher 3 (Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy) include BaW streaming.cache file, it makes sense to keep the streaming.cache file in Content4 directory.

That file seems not to be necessary in the unmodded game, so it's normal you didn't found issues. The point it's not THAT file, but the fact bwtween GOG's and steam's files there are 136 files mismatch, (including that named telemetry.ws bugged one).

This could be the result of different file arrangement and requirements for the different sites. The one file with the actual script / code difference is the the one I'm keeping an eye on. I would imagine they should be identical, unless they're used during the installation process only and not gameplay itself.

Maybe it's all part of a top-secret government experiment...who knows?

Please read this, important file mistmatch causing bugs, even preventing game to run if using mods.

GOG's installer file "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\content\content0\scripts\engine\telemetryKeyword.ws" differs from steam's and may be Galaxy's one.

This is from GOG's installer:

And this is from steam:

/***********************************************************************/
/** © 2015 CD PROJEKT S.A. All rights reserved.
/** THE WITCHER® is a trademark of CD PROJEKT S. A.
/** The Witcher game is based on the prose of Andrzej Sapkowski.
/***********************************************************************/

import class CR4TelemetryScriptProxy extends CObject
{
import final function LogWithName( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents );
import final function LogWithLabel( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents, label : String );
import final function LogWithValue( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents, value : int );
import final function LogWithValueStr( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents, value : String );

import final function LogWithLabelAndValue( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents, label : String, value : int );
import final function LogWithLabelAndValueStr( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents, label : String, value : String );

import final function SetCommonStatFlt( statType: ER4CommonStats, value : float );
import final function SetCommonStatI32( statType: ER4CommonStats, value : int );

import final function SetGameProgress( value : float );

import final function AddSessionTag( tag : String );
import final function RemoveSessionTag( tag : String );

import final function XDPPrintUserStats( statisticName : String );
import final function XDPPrintUserAchievement( achievementName : String );
}

Notice how the red text is incomplete and causes script merger not initiaziling correctly when launching game with mods, and may be other issues in game.

I just find this mismatch casually, there may be other issues/errors with GOG's installers.

Using GOG Galaxy here and the content of telemetryKeyword.ws matches the Steam one.

import final function LogWithName( eventType : ER4TelemetryEvents ); is inside that file.

Guest 3841499

Yeah, they REALLY need to sort out all the version discrepancies. I can't believe they haven't replied already and told people whether to keep the streaming.cache file or delete it. I mean how hard can it be to just post something like "You should not keep it, it was a mistake on our end, the file is not needed" ???

Yeah, they REALLY need to sort out all the version discrepancies. I can't believe they haven't replied already and told people whether to keep the streaming.cache file or delete it. I mean how hard can it be to just post something like "You should not keep it, it was a mistake on our end, the file is not needed" ???

Even internally, we've had no word back. It may be something far larger, or it may be no issue at all. (I guarantee we'll know before The Witcher 4 is released.;))

@SigilFey

By now it should be a fact that there are some bugs (not many, not the most important, but bugs) caused directly or indirectly by the file discrepancies between the different game versions. In case that a file should not be there even if it does not cause any issue, it has to be removed. If the GOG patchers can't delete obsolete files this have to be addressed in another way. It does not mind if this is the "result of different file arrangement and requirements for the different sites" or if it's just a human mistake; THIS HAS TO BE FIXED.

Users are still reporting many more bugs in the game not related to this "issue" so I only can suppose that CDPR is focusing on fixing these more intrincate and important bugs, considering that the other "issue" is easy to address (or it should be, imo). But, can you at least confirm if they are working on the next patch? Thank you.

@SigilFey

By now it should be a fact that there are some bugs (not many, not the most important, but bugs) caused directly or indirectly by the file discrepancies between the different game versions. In case that a file should not be there even if it does not cause any issue, it has to be removed. If the GOG patchers can't delete obsolete files this have to be addressed in another way. It does not mind if this is the "result of different file arrangement and requirements for the different sites" or if it's just a human mistake; THIS HAS TO BE FIXED.

Users are still reporting many more bugs in the game not related to this "issue" so I only can suppose that CDPR is focusing on fixing these more intrincate and important bugs, considering that the other "issue" is easy to address (or it should be, imo). But, can you at least confirm if they are working on the next patch? Thank you.

The only thing I can confirm is that there does not seem to be any issue caused by file discrepancies between the various download sites. Each site has it's own method of packing the data files for the game, but all of the actual game files are exactly the same. I'm trying to check on the specific difference in the Log vs. LogWithName script noted earlier in the post. That being said, CDPR is tackling a large number of bug and tech issues right now, so they're prioritizing accordingly.

Extraneous files in a download (if that's what these actually are) will not cause any issues with a game, as they are never referenced or accessed during the installation process. As long as everything is working correctly, "tidying up" the installation packages is almost certainly not a priority, atm.
(They can sweep once all of the fires are out. :construction:)

Ok SigilFey, I will not discuss further about this. Thank you very much for your help and information. I will continue enjoying this superb game and stay tuned for news. :)

I can confirm (as many others did) that there ARE issues caused by file discrepancies between the various download sites. Mainly (but not limited to) the skills descriptions text are bugged with wrong descriptions and rare symbols if some files installed by the latests GOG's installer are not deleted (those files are NOT present in the steam or Galaxy release).
Evidence--> https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/blood_and_wine_general_skills_problem

As for "the specific difference in the Log vs. LogWithName script noted earlier in the post" it only affects if you try to launch a modded game (game won't run with the bugged one).

Last edited:
I can confirm (as many others did) that there ARE issues caused by file discrepancies between the various download sites. Mainly (but not limited to) the skills descriptions text are bugged with wrong descriptions and rare symbols if some files installed by the latests GOG's installer are not deleted (those files are NOT present in the steam or Galaxy release).
Evidence--> https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/blood_and_wine_general_skills_problem

As for "the specific difference in the Log vs. LogWithName script noted earlier in the post" it only affects if you try to launch a modded game (game won't run with the bugged one).

Can also confirm that there are definitely issues caused by these junk files leftover by the GOG patcher. It was necessary for me to follow the steps in that GOG thread to correct the errors with Mutagen icons and skill descriptions (see below). Thank you for the link Lobuno.

These are the mutagen icons before and after deleting those junk files:

And the skill descriptions:

I hate the think about what else might be bugged from the GOG installers not working correctly.

Can also confirm that there are definitely issues caused by these junk files leftover by the GOG patcher. It was necessary for me to follow the steps in that GOG thread to correct the errors with Mutagen icons and skill descriptions (see below). Thank you for the link Lobuno.

These are the mutagen icons before and after deleting those junk files:

And the skill descriptions:

I hate the think about what else might be bugged from the GOG installers not working correctly.

I have the exact same problem patch1.22 showing me old mutagen icons (actually, never had the new ones).
I always do patch through gog installers manually and never had any issues but this time theres definitely something wrong with the installer.

Is it really safe to delete those files in patch0 folder (really just junk files)?

If anyone is having issues with Galaxy, you can always log into GOG.com directly through your browser and manually download the installation / update files for the game, patches, DLCs, etc.

That being said, I'll ask about the "missing" files identified in the OP. It could simply be tracking info for GOG.com that isn't required by Galaxy. (It could be critical game info, and if missing, all bears will turn into cabbages.) I'll see what I can find.

I had the same problem when updating to 1.22. Tried everything, from both GOG sources and all I got was a black screen when launching the game, which I could launch from Galaxy or directly from the .exe if I wished to do so. Tried many solutions. I still had the original day 1 release from physical DVD's and the whole bunch of patches, hot fixes and expansion installed separately. Nothing worked.

Fastest and definitive fix I could find was to uninstall the game and do a clean install with Galaxy. I had a day out of town so I just left it working and when I got home, game was running smoothly than ever, with my mods and all! =)

I have the exact same problem patch1.22 showing me old mutagen icons (actually, never had the new ones).
I always do patch through gog installers manually and never had any issues but this time theres definitely something wrong with the installer.

Is it really safe to delete those files in patch0 folder (really just junk files)?

Working great for me so far, haven't noticed anything wrong, and enjoying the corrected skills. :)

Attachments

• qeam1UD.jpg
    qeam1UD.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 143
Just to say that user mwnn in the GOG forum already reported this issue to CDPR and got an official response, read this thread: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witch..._descriptions_broken_with_gog_installers_v122

Here SigilFey keeps denying this problem in a very politely -but pointless- way, and that Hickory guy in the GOG forum is openly trolling everyone... I got tired of this attitude.

Yeah that guy is the worst. Best not to respond to him.
Thanks for keeping us updated petty.924. Keeping an eye open for an official fix or response, but for now the manual deletion of the files seems to be a harmless solution.

Guest 3841499

The only thing I can confirm is that there does not seem to be any issue caused by file discrepancies between the various download sites. Each site has it's own method of packing the data files for the game, but all of the actual game files are exactly the same. I'm trying to check on the specific difference in the Log vs. LogWithName script noted earlier in the post. That being said, CDPR is tackling a large number of bug and tech issues right now, so they're prioritizing accordingly.

Extraneous files in a download (if that's what these actually are) will not cause any issues with a game, as they are never referenced or accessed during the installation process. As long as everything is working correctly, "tidying up" the installation packages is almost certainly not a priority, atm.
(They can sweep once all of the fires are out. :construction:)

That is factually incorrect. If I properly install Witcher 3 using manual GOG installers without GOG Galaxy, I will NOT get the new Mutagen icons and skill descriptions due to UNNECESSARY FILES. That is UNDENIABLE. Denying is like saying red color = green color. Again, Streaming.Cache file WILL be present in Content4 folder when the game is installed from scratch either via Steam or using GOG install files, but not when installing Witcher 3 from scratch using GOG Galaxy. The game USES that file when it is present because its impossible to delete it once the game has loaded, but if the file is not present before the game is loaded, there are no errors or issues supposedly..

I also noticed that after 1.21 patch, there are new DLL files - SimplygonSDKCLIReleasex64.dll and UmbraOptimizer64.dll. I researched both Simplygon and Umbra Optimizer and found out that both are 3rd party AUTO-optimization libraries. The game performance improved significantly after 1.21 patch and that is likely due to those 2 optimization parties. Why does CDPR need 3d parties to AUTO-optimize their in-house engine? Can't they do it themselves?

Top Bottom