Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

+
Refund for golds

So now every gold can be targeted, that's a nerf for many decks that was based on gold (high power mostly) to protect them to win round 3. Now they all targetable so all that decks need new strategy - it's a nerf for sure. So we should now get full refund on all gold cards :)

Pretty serious change to the meta. I'm honestly pretty interested to see how it plays out. It's so different I frankly can't even contemplate what the end result will look like. Looks like I'll be starting out with lots of casual play and rebuilding. However, since I mostly play Ethne control ... in theory it could work out pretty well.

What did i spent 800 scraps on Yen Con for? To have her instantly killed by Alzur's Thunder? And her death wish, if the information is correct, is totally lame. I think all the "golds" with non deploy abilities should get full mill value and "gold" crafting price should decrease.

I wish CDPR would get rid of the bronze, silver and gold terms. "Gold" sounds nonsensical right now. I think common, rare, epic and legendary is enough of a distinction.

Place your golds to the left of the row to protect other units from Skellige storm? Yeah, whatever. I'm afraid the game is going to be a weather fest. I also wonder if Igni or Scorch in general is getting nerfed.

Soverein;n9355821 said:
Whenever i will open a "Gold Keg" the next couple of weeks my thoughts will shift from:

"Woa n1 i missed that for my Collection" to "Yeah Whatever..."

Pretty much this.

I guess we'll wait and see. Hopefully, after the initial adjustment period of the upcoming patch, i'll keep enjoying the game. For the time being, i'm pretty disappointed and more than a little baffled by this change.

P.S. Philippa for president.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9354961 said:
Another issue is that Golds aren't that special anymore, so why should they cost 800 scrap to craft? They're just, in some cases SLIGHTLY, stronger silvers. I mean, a Nilfgaardian Knight is a 10 strength bronze with 2 armor. Geralt is a 13 (potentially 16) gold.

I think you have a very good point here, what made most of gold cards that good and that special was the fact that.....well, they're gold and therefore impossible to remove unless you're running some very specific counters.
This is what made Gerald a good card (I mean, considering he's free, he's a very descent card) but this is not the case anymore, now Gold are going to be slightly better Silver.

Again, maybe I will like the change at the end but for now, I feel like we're going to lose more than we gain from this change.

And again, the Gold "immunity" was allowing some very interesting cards to exist and work (such as Priscilla, I was playing her in my NR deck and she was awesome, this time is over, with 4 str body she's gonna die as soon as she hits the battlefield 99% of the time).

Not to mention, the potential explosion of control decks in the meta...

The problems is, what if this becomes the norm? A meta gets stale and they throw everything out to come up with something new, instead of building on what they have.

They need to redesign the entirety of the Gold collection to give them good abilities to actually make them worth using. And they need to reduce their price.

Last edited:
Kingoko;n9356681 said:
So we should now get full refund on all gold cards :)
I've also talked about this:
4RM3D;n9352151 said:
What about refunds for golds? Suddenly Tibor and such doesn't look so good anymore. CDPR should refund most of the gold cards. However, this also means everyone will mill every gold card and just build the next netdeck again. Both options have their issues. I wonder which path CDPR takes.

PS. thread merged

Raunbjorn

First they say that they won't promote any pro scene and that it should be up to the community and now they make a "pro ladder" lol. Also not a fan of the gold changes but let's wait and see. The game needs to find its own identity. All this going back and forth doesn't do any good and makes me not wanna put any money in this game atm.

So far I have seen way more people criticising the move on golds rather than praising it. And as far as I'm aware they were meant to listen to feedback right? Either way I'm gonna have to wait till the patch after this one when they decide to make golds great again. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This don't feel right.... Some gold cards are really problematic (I'm looking at you, Tibor!), but this move is like throw the baby with the water. How on earth a Kayran will have some value? And how some totally bad cards like Vabjorn will ever be used?

I know it's beta and all, but the game is having too much drastic changes in too litlle time, as if th devs are trying everything since they don't know what to do. The last game I saw going back and forth in a mess like this was Infinitie Crisis (the DC Moba, R.I.P) , and it didn't ended well.

I don't see why people are so negative. The changes havent been made yet, and the results are unknown. So what if some cards are now vulnerable to scorch? You are forgetting that with the new changes, there are more targets and not possibly enough direct damage cards to deal with all the golds, beefed bronzes and silvers. Weather is the only real winner here. It would be cool if golds were weather proof. Or immune to universal effects. It seems unlikely now. But lets see how everything plays out first and not just assume the worst.

Change is good. Like I've always said..it keeps the game fresh and players on their toes

if you think this hasn't been tested in house..you are fooling yourself ..maybe not to the masses..but in a select good group of testers I bet.

it's up to the masses to find its flaws and for the team a few weeks in..adjust.

although personally I think it's the wrong move (gold cards) they have proved me wrong on a bunch of things I thought were going to ruin the game ..and in fact..for the most part..it's gotten better?

or am I just playing fanboi? Lol

TheShift;n9360381 said:
Change is good. Like I've always said..it keeps the game fresh and players on their toes

if you think this hasn't been tested in house..you are fooling yourself ..maybe not to the masses..but in a select good group of testers I bet.

it's up to the masses to find its flaws and for the team a few weeks in..adjust.

although personally I think it's the wrong move (gold cards) they have proved me wrong on a bunch of things I thought were going to ruin the game ..and in fact..for the most part..it's gotten better?

or am I just playing fanboi? Lol

Change is good, true. Revamping the game every patch isn't, IMO. It reduces testing feedback to finding unintended bugs. Any thoughts on card/game balance become moot when huge changes, changes that completely redefine what may be too strong or weak, get introduced.

As I said earlier, wait and see is the only reasonable outlook. It's hard to see how this particular change is going to work without major redesign in other areas though. Perhaps that major redesign has already been done. Perhaps it has not. If it's the latter of the two it indicates growing pains. I don't see a constant cycle of radical change, followed by a stale meta once the strongest builds are identified, as a good thing. Especially not if that stale meta is sustained for an extended period of time, as it has been since the last hotfix up until now.

At this point it's difficult to hop on Gwent, enter a game, play/test it and hit the midpoint of a match without feeling the urge to alt+F4 or forfeit and move to something else.

onlybalint;n9352561 said:
I agree with what we had in closed beta. I vote for gold cards being able to damage other golds!

That's my vote as well. Although I personally would add making golds lockable with all lock cards and not only shackles.

That said, I'm happy CDPR aren't afraid to make drastic changes and reverting them if needed, so if they see the change not being welcome and negatively affect the player experience, I'm sure they'll react. They might not know EXACTLY the direction they want to go with the game, but I think that's actually good. Often you assume in your mind something will work until you try it out and then it actually doesn't. It's better all this happens now than later down the line. That's what betas are for after all. Most CCGs base largely on mechanics established by other card games, so it's easier to assume something will work because it's already been tested somewhere else. Gwent, with its mostly unique mechanics, needs to do the "trial and error" thing on its own.

There has to be something to differentiate golds from other cards. Price and value shouldnt be enough. For god sake, just go back and listen to what they said in the previous patch, saying that golds needed to feel golds!

Remember to change imperia enforces ability. How about kambi can someone force a tie on second turn if he has card advantage(udalryk)? Just get right timing and use epidemic or scorch as your last card to kill hemdall.

4RM3D;n9352151 said:
It was announced that gold units can now be buffed and damaged by other cards. CDPR stated that it was because they wanted to create more interaction on the board. It seems though they cannot make up their minds what to do with the gold cards. In Closed Beta only other gold cards could target gold units, then at the start of Open Beta, only D-Shackles/Bomb could hurt them and now CDPR does a complete 180 making gold units susceptible to removal and everything else.

The original idea was that gold units meant something. They were strong and safe. If you did want to damage them, you needed to use a D-Shackles/Bomb, which was fair. But now a lot of gold cards will become too risky to use, like Tibor, Unseen Elder and anything with a huge body, just will get Scorched. That would have been okay for a bronze or silver unit, but not for gold units, which you can only have 4 of. These precious slots cannot be filled by risky cards. Furthermore, cards like Yen:Con (anything with a timer) will also be less popular because of removal. Also, what's the purpose of D-Shackles now?

I know we have to wait and see what it does to the meta, but for now I have mixed feelings about this. I think it would have been enough to go back to the situation in Closed Beta, that is, gold cards can damage other gold cards. That would have been a good middle road.

EDIT: Some more thought for food:

1) Letho is going to be insane. It will banish important cards and then sets up a nice target for Scorch.
2) What about refunds for golds? Suddenly Tibor and such doesn't look so good anymore. CDPR should refund most of the gold cards. However, this also means everyone will mill every gold card and just build the next netdeck again. Both options have their issues. I wonder which path CDPR takes.
3) No matter the outcome, the meta is going to change again, completely, even without the 20 new cards.

Firstly, I would say to fix the issue of this, is to have only bronze units stay in a specific row such as a melee belongs on melee, ranged for only ranged, and so on, so forth...

Furthermore, fixes the issue with Bronze/Silver Weather and Gold Weather Cards. So weather can stay to what it is now, as agile to be in any row on both sides of the board whether ally or enemy.

Secondly, Silver/Gold Unit Cards to be agile to be in any row only. And instead of Gold Unit Cards being exposed to scorch, how about a Gold Unit Card that can only be damaged by more removals not just Dimeritium Shackles and Dimeritium Bomb, so this still has Dimeritium Shackles and Dimeritium Bomb to be of use and purpose.

So the only removal that cannot harm the Gold Unit(s) is Scorch.

Regards,
Hamza :)

Mnorojo;n9360221 said:
I don't see why people are so negative. The changes havent been made yet, and the results are unknown. So what if some cards are now vulnerable to scorch? You are forgetting that with the new changes, there are more targets and not possibly enough direct damage cards to deal with all the golds, beefed bronzes and silvers. Weather is the only real winner here. It would be cool if golds were weather proof. Or immune to universal effects. It seems unlikely now. But lets see how everything plays out first and not just assume the worst.

Gold Unit(s) Cards being immune to Weather Cards is a good point, I agree that they should be immune to weather, as they are Gold Cards and should feel like a Gold that can help improve the round in order to win.

So, if you take this idea and combine it with what I said in a given above statement then may actually work to fix these issues overall.

Regards,
Hamza :)

Having immunities must be imperative, cause those Axe Men... one of the most broken Bronze cards, in my opinion, is getting even more targets to buff from.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've had many doubts with CDPR and them developing Gwent. Then they produced this change which has literally ruined the game. If any CDPR representative reads this please tell me:
1. Unseen Elder is now useless.
2. Kayran is now useless.
3. Triss:Butt / Yenn: Conn is useless.
4. Tibor is useless.
5. Igni is now over powered.
6. Weather ( already the best deck in the game. ) is now even more over powered. ( by a long shot. )
7. Only DEPLOY golds will have any relevance... ( More monster golds! Caretaker, woodland, caranthir and geels/imlerith are now indirectly buffed. )
8. Wild boar of the sea is now useless.
9. Scorch is now broken.
10. Any and all buff affects ( more monsters... Horn/Potions. ) will now be even stronger due to gold targets being buffed.
11. So much more that i cba to go through. I hope that with this change you decide to re-develop nearly every card in the game, because you need to lmao.

- 4.5k GWENT player.

P.S not a single top player gave a care about the Gold cards lack of interaction, you're being retarded and doing what every dying game company is doing: Listening to the average /bad player base who just complain.

( your last few gwent changes triggered me. hence the rant. :) )

I'm not happy with this. Too drastic of a change. Gold units are not much better than silver units now IMO.

Eithne from ST seems like a deck that will benefit greatly from this patch though, and even more so with the silver Aretact (or however it's spelled) Compression spell.

Top Bottom