Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

+
Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

It was announced that gold units can now be buffed and damaged by other cards. CDPR stated that it was because they wanted to create more interaction on the board. It seems though they cannot make up their minds what to do with the gold cards. In Closed Beta only other gold cards could target gold units, then at the start of Open Beta, only D-Shackles/Bomb could hurt them and now CDPR does a complete 180 making gold units susceptible to removal and everything else.

The original idea was that gold units meant something. They were strong and safe. If you did want to damage them, you needed to use a D-Shackles/Bomb, which was fair. But now a lot of gold cards will become too risky to use, like Tibor, Unseen Elder and anything with a huge body, just will get Scorched. That would have been okay for a bronze or silver unit, but not for gold units, which you can only have 4 of. These precious slots cannot be filled by risky cards. Furthermore, cards like Yen:Con (anything with a timer) will also be less popular because of removal. Also, what's the purpose of D-Shackles now?

I know we have to wait and see what it does to the meta, but for now I have mixed feelings about this. I think it would have been enough to go back to the situation in Closed Beta, that is, gold cards can damage other gold cards. That would have been a good middle road.

EDIT: Some more thought for food:

1) Letho is going to be insane. It will banish important cards and then sets up a nice target for Scorch.
2) What about refunds for golds? Suddenly Tibor and such doesn't look so good anymore. CDPR should refund most of the gold cards. However, this also means everyone will mill every gold card and just build the next netdeck again. Both options have their issues. I wonder which path CDPR takes.
3) No matter the outcome, the meta is going to change again, completely, even without the 20 new cards.

Last edited:
Although I've experienced my share of frustration at the hands of untouchable golds, I do wonder at this new, somewhat drastic change. Practice shall tell whether it prove good or bad.

Pretty much sums up the opinion i've stated in several posts over today. They go back and fourth over such dramatic elements of the game like they have no long term path for the game. And its not the 1st time this happens.

A while ago they said how gold cards are important. Now they're not so much. Are they reducing the cost of gold cards now?

This just looks like the whole agile weather/units situation. Trading tactics for interactivity.

Honestly the only way this could possibly not be a bad change, would be a major overhaul of Gold effects, giving all of them a (stronger) Deploy ability. What use is a Gold like Borkh? Or Vabjorn, who already is underplayed. Even then it would seem like a poor choice to me, kinda defies the initial thought in even implementing Gold Cards. Welp, I do trust CDPR though, so lets see were this goes.

To quote Yorveth thats a "Bad move".
In my opinion the gold status in CB was the best. Current nearly untouchable golds is something all of us learned to live with, but turning them buffable/voulnerable like all the other cards will have a negative effect on the game.
Probably all decks will include more control cards to deal with the golds such as Yen, Triss butterfly, Borkh, Kambi, Yorveth etc, making these cards much less useful (maybe some even useless). The second thing is that probably most decks will prefer to include gold cards with deploy ability. Golds like Geralt, Hjalmar and Tibor are going to lose most of their value as well.

Ofcourse time will tell but i think its a big mistake.

Edit: By the way are there patch notes available already??

Unless they severely rethink cards like unseen elder and kambi (which seem to almost entirely lose their purpose with this change - unseen elder making your board 3 times as vulnerable instead of protecting it and kambi no longer working even if you set up your game with golds and shackles) or bhork (who'll just burn himself a lot of the time, or simply get sniped off), I really don't see how this can even work =S

To be clear, I'm actually not opposed to golds not being immune at all. I just think it's really clear that a change like that demands a complete overhaul of some or most of the gold units, especially those that don't get their power from deploy abilities that don't demand board sacrifices. And from that video, the elder seems to be entirely unchanged, for example. So he'll become a leader that can single-handedly win the game.. For your opponent?

Also, what good is the demote ability for, with this change? Absolutely nothing? So, shackles gets a 3 point damage buff but is rendered mostly useless in the process? And D-bomb becomes a "reset 3 adjacent units" silver card? =X

Last edited:
No more gold blockers, no more safety for our points, RIP Cerys, Blood Baron, Kayran, Unseen Elder and many more. The gold cards would be basically reduced to stronger silvers - so why to even have them now in the first place?
Timed golds will get hurt badly - prone to removal, D-bomb and shackles are now useless and the ability to target them in the graveyard is even worse.

Not to mention the faction differences are getting butchered again with other cards, Artifact Compression will be auto-included, creating HUGE point swings again.
What for are all the options if you take variability away? Few more changes like this and the factions will be the same, different in pictures and characters only.

Wake up CDPR, you are just taking tactics and fun away! You are taking away the main defining feature of the game! This won't be the same game we grew to love anymore!

Last edited:
Borkh will be immune to his own ability (according to some rumors). Kambi needs a change for sure.

Now all the golds being vulnerable to all the spells i hope there are some unrevealed changes (rules ) about them. The new "Artefact compression" can be kind of OP against them.

Let gold cards be vulnerable to other gold cards. Let silver cards be vulnerable to silver cards and gold cards. Let all the other cards be vulnerable to all the other cards. I don't want to see the only difference between the color of cards be how many you can use in a deck. Gold weather cards would be slightly boosted by this. Oh well, I'll wait and see how the dust settles.

What about prices? Since the difference between gold and silver/bronze cards are irrelevant apart from value and effects, will they be adjusted?

4RM3D;n9352151 said:
It was announced that gold units can now be buffed and damaged by other cards. CDPR stated that it was because they wanted to create more interaction on the board. It seems though they cannot make up their minds what to do with the gold cards. In Closed Beta only other gold cards could target gold units, then at the start of Open Beta, only D-Shackles/Bomb could hurt them and now CDPR does a complete 180 making gold units susceptible to removal and everything else.

next patch: gold units are unaffected again

Some more thought for food:

1) Letho is going to be insane. It will banish important cards and then sets up a nice target for Scorch.
2) What about refunds for golds? Suddenly Tibor and such doesn't look so good anymore. CDPR should refund most of the gold cards. However, this also means everyone will mill every gold card and just build the next netdeck again. Both options have their issues. I wonder which path CDPR takes.
3) No matter the outcome, the meta is going to change again, completely, even without the 20 new cards.

It's not only Letho that's going to be insane. Suddenly, scorch effects are that much stronger (and we get another silver that's almost an unconditional removal option as well to boot).

Tibor, Hjalmar, Kayran and basically any other high power gold body that comes at a high cost are suddenly... well, just plain bad.

Really hoping that these cards get a rework, or an added deathwish effect that actually gives them good value even if they get removed.

There's gonna be so many spells and buffs on all our golds and explosions and shit, it's gonna be one big golden shower.

4RM3D;n9352971 said:
Some more thought for food:

Well maybe cards like Hjalmar, Tibor and Unseen Elder might get changed. It's too early to tell honestly. I hope CDPR doesn't go through with this unless they change what a lot of gold cards do.

A wait and see approach is in order. It's hard to say how this will turn out without seeing the full scope of the changes.

It does seem odd to have such radical changes. It happened from CB to OB and it's difficult to see how it isn't happening again from existing info on the patch. I do wonder if this cycle of major change is to nudge the groundwork of the game toward a state where it's easier to balance, or to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up.

On the bright side, anything new is an improvement over the current stale meta. I fear for the success of this game if the meta reaching such a state becomes the norm between patch cycles, however.

Top Bottom