Good bye, CD Projekt Red

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good bye, CD Projekt Red

I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.

There is 8 nice books about Geralt, and 3 games. I think it is enough for Geralt's fan to read and play. Maybe pan Sapkowski will write another novel about the witcher, so there will be even more. CDPR team is amazing at creating their own characters, I am sure Cyberpunk will be amazing without a borders of an existing world and characters, but each to their own I assume :wisegirl:

I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.
Uh alright? I mean did you seriously think they were going to just make Witcher games forever? There's 3 games, 8 books, an awful TV series, and apparently a movie on the way. Plenty to keep you occupied.

FYI Cyberpunk 2077 isn't the reason they're not making more Witcher games. They could choose to make more if they want to. But they've been making them for 10 years and they're feeling burned out with the franchise. That's why they're not making anymore. Also plenty of 40k fans can tell you the dangers of just buying something because it's related to your favorite franchise without checking the quality.

Do you only play games in which there is Geralt? So, you only played 3 games your whole life? Of course these are rhetorical questions, as I believe you play other games as well. So, how are games from CDPR without Geralt different from all those other games that you played so far made by different devs? This is just... really weird :)

Your claim has some merit if you consider that CDPR got exclusive rights on making Witcher games. So if they don't plan to make such games anymore, should they relinquish such rights then / give them to someone else? From creative perspective - may be yes. Otherwise they'll be sitting on it without making any creative works and not letting anyone else make them.

which other developer can make a good quality "geralt/witcher game" ?

Hard to say. But it's not an argument to assume that "no one else should do it" if CDPR don't plan it either. You could also have similar reservation about their own games to begin with. Wouldn't they ruin the books for example? Yet, they came out pretty good.

Last edited:
Seriously? You want a conveyor type game like CoD/Ubisoft every 1-5 years with no new ideas? Even such amazing titles need a break, a full breath of fresh air.Give the guys a timeout. Also, there will be a much of merchandize about the title-possible enhanced edition(its up to you CDPR guys).movie, comic books, artbooks, t-shirts and other stuff. Plus who knows maybe after the Cyberpunk over there will be new fresh start with big ideas and more powerfull engine than before in that franchise. For now just enjoy the things you have.

This thread is very weird. Do you honestly expect them to only make Witcher games forever? You are clearly not an artist or a creator if you think so. People need variety. Working on the same thing too long fatigues you just like listening to the same song over and over. They need a break and that break is Cyberpunk. Afterwards I'm sure we'll see more of the Witcher.

Until then this thread comes across a bit pretentious and hyperbolic.

So you're a fan of Geralt of Rivia as imagined by CDPR but not a fan of CDPR.

Total and logical sense.

How do you know you won't like Cyberpunk? I myself know little of that genre and even less of the IP.

So since they have established themselves as decent writers, capable of at least a little, and have picked a couple of awards I'm willing to trust them, maybe, just maybe a smidgeon.

Hard to say. But it's not an argument to assume that "no one else should do it" if CDPR don't plan it either. You could also have similar reservation about their own games to begin with. Wouldn't they ruin the books for example? Yet, they came out pretty good.

CDPR spent - I assume - a considerable sum to purchase the exclusive game rights to Sapkowski's franchise. Their company identity is built around it, and one could make the case that they have a right to maintain that license, regardless of whether or not they use it, because they a) invested capital to purchase it and b) if another company comes along and botches the job, there is the risk that it would degrade the value of the Witcher IP and reflect poorly upon CDPR, even though they weren't responsible for said product.

Look, I understand where the OP is coming from. The gaming rights to my favorite fantasy series - the Riftwar novels by Feist - are tied up in some weird licensing hell, and there hasn't been a game in that universe in years. I would literally kill for a Kelewan RPG, but I'll probably never get that. At the end of the day, though, I also understand that the Witcher is CDPR's baby, they have invested significant money and time in cultivating that franchise and bringing it to the masses, and they have a right to say, "You know what? We sacrificed a lot to create a broader awareness of Sapkowski's novels and to craft top-notch RPG's in that space. It is only fair, then, that we should get to determine who will get to play in that sandbox."

What I do not get is the OP's antipathy towards CP 2077. If they just don't like scifi, that's one thing. But to write off an entire franchise without having even seen a single screenshot of it seems ... premature and unreasonable? He/she says that they would "buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers," but that seems disingenuous. You're telling me that CDPR's personal touch, that their skill as developers and attention to detail played no part whatsoever in you liking the Witcher games, that you would have played and liked them regardless of content and quality? Doubt it. If all that we had were a bunch of mobile free-to-play Witcher titles by EA, you probably wouldn't be begging for more. The Witcher games weren't good just because Geralt was in them. They were good because CDPR put and lot of blood, sweat, and tears into making them that way.

@Pug.: Yep, it can be a conundrum. On one hand, art can be ruined by inadequate creators. On the other hand, it can be never created to begin with, because someone simply doesn't let it. So what's worse?

I remember Peter Jackson saying that no matter how much he'd be interested in working on The Silmarillion (in some film form), that probably will never happen. Because Christopher Tolkien. I'd say it's not a good thing, but he decides.

I find the underlying premise of this thread, and the responses, intriguing. Although it may seem incredible to many for someone to bid a studio farewell, merely because they mayn't be producing another game in a specific genre, or with a specific protagonist, for quite some time, I think there may be a few interesting questions we can draw from this: Why wouldn't a gamer be interested in Cyberpunk? What makes The Witcher so special? What is it about Geralt and his world that make the Series so appealing?

To go a bit further, how many Witcher enthusiasts will indeed continue on to Cyberpunk2077? Do players expect similar qualities in Cyberpunk to those in The Witcher Series? What qualities of story and gameplay would these need to be, to specifically lure dedicated witchers into the depths of Night City?

Although answering these questions could possibly nudge the thread into
@Sardukhar 's parallel dominion, I'm rather curious to know what Witcher fans in particular think about the studio's shift to Cyberpunk. Since many have remarked that Wild Hunt temporarily ruined their satisfaction with other games, will players continue to support and trust CDPR in their new venture, or will they be able to seek new developers after this?

Last edited:
Personally I have no problem with their shift to Cyberpunk. CDPR proved that they can make games well, so it's perfectly fine for them to make something new. It's ridiculous to think that they shouldn't make anything else as creators beside Witcher games.

I'll be surely interested in them even if they won't make Witcher games anymore, but at least if they'll improve cross platform reach and will release CP2077 for Linux on day one. Not doing that will probably shift my attention to other developers more, since it will show that they didn't learn from TW3 history. So yeah, I can also say good bye, but not because I don't like Cyberpunk, quite on the contrary.

Last edited:

To go a bit further, how many Witcher enthusiasts will indeed continue on to Cyberpunk2077? Do players expect similar qualities in Cyberpunk to those in The Witcher Series? What qualities of story and gameplay would these need to be, to specifically lure dedicated witchers into the depths of Night City?

Since many have remarked that Wild Hunt temporarily ruined their satisfaction with other games, will players continue to support and trust CDPR in their new venture, or will they be able to seek new developers after this?

I can't tell exactly what is with Geralt, let's just say it's magic. Everything is in place and that series is really enjoyable. Every game I have tried after that, feels boring. I'm playing my fifth Witcher 3 at the moment and still enjoying it. I'm also reading the books. After Witcher 2 I just had to read them. I just love the story and everything about it. And it just kills me that Geralt's story is over for now. But maybe it's better to stop on top, so that this wonderful magic isn't ruined with "Geralt's adventures part 357". Nothing lasts forever. Maybe we can see more glorious games like this in the future. With or without Witcher theme. It would be nice to see something (sword and forest games) that they made from scratch. We already know that they are capable of doing most awarded games.

Cyberpunk doesn't seem to be my kind of game. I don't like futuristic atmospheres and guns. But it's going to be CDPR game, so I'll HAVE to try it. If they managed to do best RPG of all time, Cyberpunk can't be that bad. Hell, I might even really enjoy it. So yes, I'm definitely going to try that.

No need for extremes (i.e. conveyor games). But nothing at all is also an extreme. Something in between?

Well, if it is not a conveyor game, it has to end at some point, after which there is nothing more. The important thing is to know when the best time is to end the story. As far as Geralt is concerned, it has been wrapped up nicely already (and we have not even seen Blood and Wine yet, an expansion not much smaller than Assassins of Kings), but the possibility of more games in the Witcher universe - with a different protagonist and perhaps in different parts of the world - was not excluded in interviews. Compared to continuing with Geralt, a fresh start with new characters would allow for more freedom in writing the story and RPG design, and also have more potential for an eventual 5th game.

but the possibility of more games in the Witcher universe - with a different protagonist and perhaps in different parts of the world - was not excluded in interviews. Compared to continuing with Geralt, a fresh start with new characters would allow for more freedom in writing the story and RPG design, and also have more potential for an eventual 5th game.

Yes, I didn't mean more games with Geralt necessarily, but simply more games in the same world. That would be very welcome. They can even do something from the times when witchers were created and etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom