Good bye, CD Projekt Red

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.

The beauty of a story is that it has an end. Nothing is worse that a milked out, unending story. Geralt's story makes no sense and has no urgency if there is no purpose. It has to end sometime and they did it wonderfully.

You'll be back for Cyberpunk because the REDs are one of the few companies which treat gamers well and make phenomenal games.

As much as I want another Witcher game and definitely Geralt as its protagonist, I also don't want this series become as stale and bland as Assassin's Creed. I think it's the right time for CDPR to explore different settings and ideas. But I'm sure they will come back to this beloved medieval world at some point when they feel it's right.

As much as I want another Witcher game and definitely Geralt as its protagonist, I also don't want this series become as stale and bland as Assassin's Creed. I think it's the right time for CDPR to explore different settings and ideas. But I'm sure they will come back to this beloved medieval world at some point when they feel it's right.

What Troldierman said.
"If you don't make Witcher games, I won't buy your games anymore!!" I can't believe someone opened a thread for such a childish tantrum.
If you want more Geralt, read the books. Watch the TV show. There's plenty that'll keep you busy for a long while. The games have a huge re-play factor, so you don't even need to leave the world of the Witcher in close future.

Personally I am really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. CDPR earned my trust and my support. Of course, after Witcher 3, the expectations are high, but even though Cyperpunk isn't exactly my genre, I am pretty sure CDPR will make me love it.

OK. I'm not interested in engaging in a endless discussion with a lot of fanboys of CD Projekt. A few months ago, I left a comment in Bioware's forum saying that they messed up the ending of Mass Effect 3 and I´m not interested in Mass Effect Andromeda without Shepard, Liara and the other characters. I was verbally battered, of course. For some people, it seems that, in regard to videogames if you buy a product and you like it, you are forced to buy every single product that company develops, or you are commeting some kind of treason against the company, the saga, or I don't know what.

Let me be clear, CD Proketc FANBOYS: CD Projekt is free to abandon a highly succesfull saga in it´s best moment because they are tired of the characters and world. And I'm free of being upset because of that decision, and not buying future products of that company, BECAUSE IS MY MONEY!!! Specially since those are products I can't care less. Same thing about your opinions about me, by the way, dear fanboys of CD Projekt.

What's special in Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, Dandelion, Vesemir, Phillipha and the other characters? Simple: they are extremely charismatic characters from a good (not great, but good) literary saga. A lot of us, (even, as in my case, not being big fan of Sapkowsky), were fond of the characters long time ago. Then, we met them in the games and they were even better than in books. Just true love. And that´s something that thing of Ciberpunk whatever it is, will never have. Character creator? Really? Really CD Projekt thinks that a generic character beats a character like Geralt? Geralt is, at least, as charismatic as Han Solo and as complex as Tyrion Lannister. And CD Project thinks that a generic character generated by a character creator is better?

Geralt´s path ends in faux. Too soon. Nobody asks why Geralt ages like 15 years in six months between the events of TW2 and TW3? In TW2 he looks like 35 and in TW3 he looks like 50. I'm sure that that appearance old of Geralt is just a - unjustified - trick to say that Geralt is old and is going to retire.

That´s not a proper way to ending a story. Geralt dies or Geralt is happy ever after with Triss or Yennefer, or Geralt continues killing monsters alone... That´s not a real ending, is just "We, CDProjetk, are tired of Geralt, we are going to retire him".

It´s OK. Again, they are free to do that. And I´m free to say "Good Bye CD Projekt".

PD. Good point that thing of "we don´t want that The witcher becomes in a mess as Assassins Creed". So, you have so much confidence in CD Project that you think that if they continue developing expansions for TW3 or they make a TW4, they will do crap as the latest Assassins, so, better stop now. I think people of CD Projekt will be delighted with that comment, if they read that comment.

Last edited:
That´s not a proper way to ending a story. Geralt dies or Geralt is happy ever after with Triss or Yennefer, or Geralt continues killing monsters alone... That´s not a real ending, is just "We, CDProjetk, are tired of Geralt, we are going to retire him".

What would a real ending have been then that is not like one of the already existing ones ? ;) And after these endings (and also Ciri's, Radovid's, etc.), it would also be rather difficult to continue the story while respecting the choices made in TW3.

Guest 3847602

What would a real ending have been then that is not like one of the already existing ones ? ;) And after these endings (and also Ciri's, Radovid's, etc.), it would also be rather difficult to continue the story while respecting the choices made in TW3.

Fairy tails end like that: the prince and the princess get married, and they live happy ever after. This kind of ending implies that the prince and the princess don't do a single interesting thing from the marriage to their deaths. You think that´s kind of ending a proper ending for Geralt´s path? Do you think that a charactar as Geralt (or Triss, Yennefer, the other sorceresses, etc. are just going to retire and live happy ever after? There is no beauty in this kind of ending, It closes the story in faux. It´s a crappy ending, actually. Again, this ending is just send a messaje: "We, CDProjetk, are tired of The Witcher and we want to forget it"

Do you think that a charactar as Geralt (or Triss, Yennefer, the other sorceresses, etc. are just going to retire and live happy ever after?

That is left to the player's imagination, but it would not be worth making another game only to show Geralt's "family life". Let alone one that takes into account all the possible endings of Witcher 3. If you do not like these "happy endings", there are still two other ones to choose from as well.

One beautiful thing in this series is, that it's not a traditional "fairy tale".

And Geralt without a "proper ending" just seems like a LOTS of possibilities in the future. Yes, we are not going to get another Geralt game, but that doesn't mean he can't be part of one.

And what on earth makes you think that CDPR can't do another game as good as Witcher? With characters and story as good as Witcher?

I'm not sure if this thread smells like a troll or just stubborness. One thing I'm sure of, this doesn't smell like conversation, since different opinions are called "fanboyism".

I'm rather curious to know what Witcher fans in particular think about the studio's shift to Cyberpunk.

First, I just need to say that I love medieval histories. No matter if those are movies, books, animes, comics or tv series, that always has been my favorite fiction genre. The Lord of the Rings movies being the biggest guilty for that for me. That said, It is also true that I always has found difficult to find a "ONE" game to rule all... I mean..., to really show all the potencial I see on the genre.

Even confess, that I played some very awful games, just because I was caught by a trailer of a cool world.

It was back on 2011 that I bought a games magazine, and there was 2 rpg's on focus: Skyrim and The Witcher 2 for Xbox. Immediatly, I started searching about then; on Skyrim, I felt a let down with the FPV and the apparently low focus on the history. The Witcher on the contrary, makes me more and more interested as I found It also has books, comics, a tv series, a film... all things that I like, with one big medieval theme!? That was a dream coming true.

But I prefered to keep cautions, so I went for trailers, gameplays, reviews, more gameplays (even caught some spoilers)..., and finally I did pre-order the Enhanced Edition. Meanwhile, waiting for the arrival, I started to read the books and see the serie. On the first, also finding all things that I like on the genre, like monsters, adventure, romance :) , some mysteries and, better, a world which keeps a good balance between the great adventure and the dark/moral questions. Better for me than, for example, Game of Thrones.

Sooner, I already had finished TW2 three times In less than a month... Not just he was as good as I tought, but even better. The history, the variation of monsters - some really fun, like the trolls, others big and dangerous like the Kayran... - , the possiblity of doing my own history, making a decision and getting a consequence..., the characters... I love the juvenile but smart of Triss's personality, the good but "problematic" best friend Dandelion, Geralt which I first found interesting by the "lonely warrior" image, but then become fascinated by his past and how he tries to keep neutrality, even if inside he is boiling to do something, sometimes.

A single Witcher, a "freak and a monster", with much more decency, honor and compassion than 90% of the entire North. The little details.., and the amazing job of CD Projekt to, not just make a good history, but a awesome game.

More, there is a phrase about TW2, that even today I remember and which also explains why I like the franchise - There, you can be able to fight a horde of monsters, then go chat with your friend and then just go walk in the forest, with a few drops of rain falling and a beautiful song till you discover a lost garden among the trees. It is not just the fight, It is not just the visuals or the medieval settings, not even just the characters, romance, the memorable encounters or the epic soundtrack, but all that put together that makes The Witcher so good.

But, as I said, I love the medieval fiction more than any other, and I think that never will change, but It doesn't mean that I don't pay attention to others.. And If there is a thing that I learned by playing a lot of bad games, Is that the history and the good work itself makes all the diference, so of course I am more than happy to give Cyberpunk a try, because CD Projekt proved me many times that they can do a great work, which deserve to be noticed.

And what I look of The Witcher on Cyberpunk!? Is the amazing histories, the choices and their consequences for us to handle. A great world, full of interesting characters, places and opportunities to make a truly memorable adventure..., and I trust they will give us that.

@topic
Sure, im also sad that witcher will end, but i can understand their decision and i'm looking forward for cyberpunk now.

Whoa, guys, you all forgot you will probably be able to:

1. Start Cyberpunk 2077
2. Enter the character creator
3. Make your character look exactly like Geralt
4. Play as Geralt in the dystopian, rainy streets of Night City

So, yeah, not all is lost!

Geralt would be lost in such a world .....

It would be ending like this... :D

Btw, is it final that you can create your own character in cyberpunk ?

Last edited:
I'm not really so familiair with cyberpunk yet, but I have faith in CDPR that they will deliver something awesome again. So I am really considering giving it a chance and it is something fresh again from this studio. For creative production it is important to step out of the comfort zone every now and then and make your vision a bit bigger, to come up with new and better ideas (and spend the money that they got from the witcher 3 on cyberpunk, who knows). Like others have mentioned in this thread CDPR needs a break from the witcher for now. You never know what the future holds in store. And again pick up the books if you haven't read them all. There is enough to keep you occupied.

Ideally for me, game licences and "series" shouldn't be a thing; I'm all for new titles, new ideas, new mechanics and new settings.

What's special in Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, Dandelion, Vesemir, Phillipha and the other characters? Simple: they are extremely charismatic characters from a good (not great, but good) literary saga. A lot of us, (even, as in my case, not being big fan of Sapkowsky), were fond of the characters long time ago. Then, we met them in the games and they were even better than in books. Just true love. And that´s something that thing of Ciberpunk whatever it is, will never have. Character creator? Really? Really CD Projekt thinks that a generic character beats a character like Geralt? Geralt is, at least, as charismatic as Han Solo and as complex as Tyrion Lannister. And CD Project thinks that a generic character generated by a character creator is better?

You admit that you like CDPR view of geralt and it is better then the game, this statement say a lot because it show you the quality of the writing CDPR can produce.
I don't really like futuristic games but i have trust in CDPR for flashing out the characters and making them grander then what the original writer of cyberpunk intended.
I read a bit about the franchise and it seems like an interesting one, a world with a lot of possibilities. I hope that CDPR will be able to find a way to give distinct personality the a generic character created toon.

I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers
I hope that CDPR will not lose the franchise to other company, first because they can create stories of other characters in the world, and second because i don't want that the witcher franchise will lose its charm and geralt will turn into something else. until today i can't comprehend the changes Lara Croft received, her character is so different then what it was in the older games, the stories are so weak, even the story of angle of darkness with all of its plot holes is better then the current one. I don't want something like this to happen to geralt. Artistic freedom is a nice excuse and it is always valid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom