Good bye, CD Projekt Red

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I'm not interested in engaging in a endless discussion with a lot of fanboys of CD Projekt. A few months ago, I left a comment in Bioware's forum saying that they messed up the ending of Mass Effect 3 and I´m not interested in Mass Effect Andromeda without Shepard, Liara and the other characters. I was verbally battered, of course. For some people, it seems that, in regard to videogames if you buy a product and you like it, you are forced to buy every single product that company develops, or you are commeting some kind of treason against the company, the saga, or I don't know what.

Let me be clear, CD Proketc FANBOYS: CD Projekt is free to abandon a highly succesfull saga in it´s best moment because they are tired of the characters and world. And I'm free of being upset because of that decision, and not buying future products of that company, BECAUSE IS MY MONEY!!! Specially since those are products I can't care less. Same thing about your opinions about me, by the way, dear fanboys of CD Projekt.

What's special in Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, Dandelion, Vesemir, Phillipha and the other characters? Simple: they are extremely charismatic characters from a good (not great, but good) literary saga. A lot of us, (even, as in my case, not being big fan of Sapkowsky), were fond of the characters long time ago. Then, we met them in the games and they were even better than in books. Just true love. And that´s something that thing of Ciberpunk whatever it is, will never have. Character creator? Really? Really CD Projekt thinks that a generic character beats a character like Geralt? Geralt is, at least, as charismatic as Han Solo and as complex as Tyrion Lannister. And CD Project thinks that a generic character generated by a character creator is better?

Geralt´s path ends in faux. Too soon. Nobody asks why Geralt ages like 15 years in six months between the events of TW2 and TW3? In TW2 he looks like 35 and in TW3 he looks like 50. I'm sure that that appearance old of Geralt is just a - unjustified - trick to say that Geralt is old and is going to retire.

That´s not a proper way to ending a story. Geralt dies or Geralt is happy ever after with Triss or Yennefer, or Geralt continues killing monsters alone... That´s not a real ending, is just "We, CDProjetk, are tired of Geralt, we are going to retire him".

It´s OK. Again, they are free to do that. And I´m free to say "Good Bye CD Projekt".

PD. Good point that thing of "we don´t want that The witcher becomes in a mess as Assassins Creed". So, you have so much confidence in CD Project that you think that if they continue developing expansions for TW3 or they make a TW4, they will do crap as the latest Assassins, so, better stop now. I think people of CD Projekt will be delighted with that comment, if they read that comment.

So you come into our neighbourhood and shout, " fanboys" at us? Do you yell racist things at people on the streets?

No one is forcing anything upon us. A lot of us are impressed with the work they have done and are interested in what else they have to offer even if it means saying goodbye to what made us love them.

So you go to the Bioware forums, and hail the end of Commander Shepherd and then come here and bemoan the ending of Geralt? Really?

I'll never understand the point of these posts.

Bye Felicia.

So you come into our neighbourhood and shout, " fanboys" at us? Do you yell racist things at people on the streets?

No one is forcing anything upon us. A lot of us are impressed with the work they have done and are interested in what else they have to offer even if it means saying goodbye to what made us love them.

So you go to the Bioware forums, and hail the end of Commander Shepherd and then come here and bemoan the ending of Geralt? Really?

I'll never understand the point of these posts.

Bye Felicia.

Yeah I don't understand some people. @TheGuitcher how about you go outside for a wee while? Sounds like you need to get away from the computer for a bit.

OK. I'm not interested in engaging in a endless discussion with a lot of fanboys of CD Projekt

And close the door behind you ;)

About the OP. It's close to the opposite for me. I don't think I could've bothered with another (or more) of The Witcher from CDPR anymore. I'm not the biggest Witcher fan, but I have played the games (yet to finish 3, but it burned out on me so maybe some day) and liked and disliked them to varying degrees. Enough is enough.

I think it's already a bit overdue for CDPR to expand their horizons. And I only hope Cyberpunk doesn't end up as some sort of "witcher with guns" action title, but strays as far as it can from it in terms of gameplay design and overall delivery.

Last edited:
I am ready for CP2077, and I am glad that The Witcher is being put to rest for a foreseeable future. Being Polish I had the chance to experience the Witcher world well before the games, and I feel that the setting is being left in a good place. I understand if some people are not excited for Cyberpunk, maybe they don't enjoy this particular take on it or don't enjoy Sci-fi RPG's at all. But there is a pretty good chance CDPR have something else that isn't the Witcher or Cyberpunk on their plate as per the recent reports. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a somewhat Bethesda and Bioware model, one sci-fi setting (Fallout, Mass Effect) and one fantasy setting (TES, Dragon Age).

CDPR are clearly still very much ambition driven, they want to do better. I'd rather them move on than become stagnant and transform a beloved franchise into something that is despised (see Assassin's Creed). From the interview I've seen with Mr Iwinski and Danny O'Dwyer it feels like CDPR want to still prove themselves. And it makes sense given their ambition, they don't want to be seen as The Witcher dev, a one trick pony. They want to be seen as the top RPG developer.

im really glad that cdpr is working on a new ip they need to stop beign seeing as "the witcher games guys" geralt story is over , witcher saga (we dont know) but for now its time to look foward

I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.

It saddened me greatly to hear that they were not planning any new The Witcher games, it really did. For the past 9 years, since The Witcher was released in its first, quite buggy iteration on PC, my gaming life, but not only (as I read pretty much all books/comics ever released in English/French for Geralt), has been tainted by Geralt of Rivia.
But I will not lie though. I do know Geralt thanks to CDPR. Living in Western Europe, Geralt of Rivia didn't reach our borders as a known book (or at least not half as popular as it now is), so I owe it to them. And to be honest, more than Geralt of Rivia, it's CDPR excellent story telling which made me love this serie. The way they have been able to build a Geralt's story so true to the books, and even better than in the books quite often, speaks for itself.

CDPR is an extremely talented gaming company. Not only do they tell stunning stories, they do this with a graphic quality on the top of the food chain, with interesting gameplay, and with a noble mind (DRM free, Free DLC [...]). I'm not half as much interested in a cyberpunk setting than I am in Dark or Heroic Fantasy, but I do know that whatever they do, they will deliver a stunning game, that will be absolutely fantastic.

So, to me, I feel even the opposite than you do. I feel like saying "surprise me CDPR, it worked the first time, it will work again" !

how many Witcher enthusiasts will indeed continue on to Cyberpunk2077?

Count me as one. While I'm sad to know that BaW might as well be Geralt's last adventure, I don't share OP's idea of abandoning CDPR once everything is all said and done. Granted, The Witcher IP still has a lot of potential and it would be nice to further explore its world and its inhabitants in a future game. But I also would like CDPR to expand into other IPs (particularly ones that have yet to have a game or ones that have but are not representative of the source materials) or even make their own. The Witcher series proved that these guys have amazing talent in producing memorable RPGs with quality that I haven't seen since Baldur's Gate 2, and to see them be trapped in one IP is a disservice to their potential...

...Also, ever since I've read Transmetropolitan a few years back, I have this itch to play as a Spider Jerusalem-like character in a dystopian future setting. Hopefully, from what little I've read of the classes in the source materials, CP2077 will allow me to scratch that itch. :p

Sorry OP, don't mean to make fun of your thread, but this is a prime opportunity and I can't believe this video hasn't been posted yet.

Goodbye to the people who hated on me
Goodbye the people who loved, me
Goodbye to the people who trusted me
Goodbye, goodbye to everybody

I'm leaving
Goodbye
Life is short

The remix is even better.

Last edited:
Well... Someone is here to say goodbye to CD Projekt RED, because they are going to abandon The Witcher games, but I'm here to express my gratitude for such mature and intelligent decision. Personally, I think it's great to finish the series on a high note, so everyone (almost) could remember it as some kind of an original and fresh experience. Everyone knows what happened to Assassin's Creed (this series was already mentioned a few times in this thread, I know, but example is too colourful not to use). I was a fan of AC right from the beginning, even before, because at first it was a concept for another Prince of Persia game (one of my favourite series of all times). It was great to witness how interesting and promising game turned into a great franchise, but it also was absolutely heartbreaking to see how it became repetitive, unoriginal and irritating "oh no, another assassin's creed again" experience. We all saw how The Witcher deservedly became a well-known game and it totally deserves a worthy ending and a better fate than AC. You can tell me that it's impossible, that CD Projekt RED are not like Ubisoft (even though I still like this bastards) and you'll be right, but I just don't like the idea "bring me another witcha, cuz I want it". CD Projekt RED should keep their creative freedom, and we should respect it. If they want to focus on Cyberpunk, they are absolutely free to do so. If they feel like they already done the best they could with The Witcher, we should deal with it. The Witcher story already ended once in the books. It's always sad to farewell favourite world and characters. Now it will end in alternative way once again in games and it will be sad too. But you know, something ends, something begins...

Last edited:
OK. I'm not interested in engaging in a endless discussion with a lot of fanboys of CD Projekt. A few months ago, I left a comment in Bioware's forum saying that they messed up the ending of Mass Effect 3 and I´m not interested in Mass Effect Andromeda without Shepard, Liara and the other characters. I was verbally battered, of course. For some people, it seems that, in regard to videogames if you buy a product and you like it, you are forced to buy every single product that company develops, or you are commeting some kind of treason against the company, the saga, or I don't know what.

Let me be clear, CD Proketc FANBOYS: CD Projekt is free to abandon a highly succesfull saga in it´s best moment because they are tired of the characters and world. And I'm free of being upset because of that decision, and not buying future products of that company, BECAUSE IS MY MONEY!!! Specially since those are products I can't care less. Same thing about your opinions about me, by the way, dear fanboys of CD Projekt.

What's special in Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, Dandelion, Vesemir, Phillipha and the other characters? Simple: they are extremely charismatic characters from a good (not great, but good) literary saga. A lot of us, (even, as in my case, not being big fan of Sapkowsky), were fond of the characters long time ago. Then, we met them in the games and they were even better than in books. Just true love. And that´s something that thing of Ciberpunk whatever it is, will never have. Character creator? Really? Really CD Projekt thinks that a generic character beats a character like Geralt? Geralt is, at least, as charismatic as Han Solo and as complex as Tyrion Lannister. And CD Project thinks that a generic character generated by a character creator is better?

Geralt´s path ends in faux. Too soon. Nobody asks why Geralt ages like 15 years in six months between the events of TW2 and TW3? In TW2 he looks like 35 and in TW3 he looks like 50. I'm sure that that appearance old of Geralt is just a - unjustified - trick to say that Geralt is old and is going to retire.

That´s not a proper way to ending a story. Geralt dies or Geralt is happy ever after with Triss or Yennefer, or Geralt continues killing monsters alone... That´s not a real ending, is just "We, CDProjetk, are tired of Geralt, we are going to retire him".

It´s OK. Again, they are free to do that. And I´m free to say "Good Bye CD Projekt".

PD. Good point that thing of "we don´t want that The witcher becomes in a mess as Assassins Creed". So, you have so much confidence in CD Project that you think that if they continue developing expansions for TW3 or they make a TW4, they will do crap as the latest Assassins, so, better stop now. I think people of CD Projekt will be delighted with that comment, if they read that comment.

I always find it humorous when people come to a forum and are surprised that there are *shock* *gasp* fans who frequent it. Isn't that the entire purpose of forums? To bring together like-minded people who enjoy a product and want to discuss it?

Anyways, I think we were all pretty civil in our responses. If you expected us to all jump on the band wagon and say that we hate CDPR because Blood and Wine is the end, well, I'm sorry that we disappointed you.

Perhaps if you had taken the time to get to know the devs and the people behind The Witcher franchise, you would have come to appreciate CDPR as a company and not just as a faceless entity which exists to produce media for your consumption. There are some cool folks who work on these games, and I'm genuinely excited to see how they bring their experience to bear on another franchise.

Everyone knows what happened to Assassin's Creed (this series was already mentioned a few times in this thread, I know, but example is too colourful not to use). I was a fan of AC right from the beginning, even before, because at first it was a concept for another Prince of Persia game (one of my favourite series of all times). It was great to witness how interesting and promising game turned into a great franchise, but it also was absolutely heartbreaking to see how it become repetitive, unoriginal and irritating "oh no, another assassin's creed again" experience. We all saw how The Witcher deservedly become a well-known game and it totally deserves a worthy ending and a better fate than AC.

May be that's what CDPR hinted to in this scene?

im really glad that cdpr is working on a new ip they need to stop beign seeing as "the witcher games guys" geralt story is over , witcher saga (we dont know) but for now its time to look foward

Why do they need to stop being The Witcher guys? I don't care if they never make another game in the series but they will always be The Witcher Guys, I'd drape that proud mantle round' me shoulders and never take it off.

Why do they need to stop being The Witcher guys? I don't care if they never make another game in the series but they will always be The Witcher Guys, I'd drape that proud mantle round' me shoulders and never take it off.

because they dont make games for charity, having only one succefull ip and being a standalone dev team is bad on this days ,witcher games have been around since 2005-2006 its time for them to grow and make onther AAA ip like they know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom