Good bye, CD Projekt Red

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
how many Witcher enthusiasts will indeed continue on to Cyberpunk2077? Do players expect similar qualities in Cyberpunk to those in The Witcher Series? What qualities of story and gameplay would these need to be, to specifically lure dedicated witchers into the depths of Night City?

Definitely will continue yes. CDPR surprised me for mature story telling. The Witcher setting worked flawlessly for that, but a lot of settings could work with this kind of mentality. If I were to keep one thing about The Witcher serie (and I really meant, if I was forced to do that), it's definitely the mature story telling. The fact it threw me so far away from the usual, sweetened childish story, where good is bright, where evil is dark, where elves poop flowers and dwarf eats stones was probably what marked me the most originally. No game has been able to emphasis more the feeling of "greater evil and lesser evil". That's what makes it so good to me.

As an example, I do remember how I hated Niflgaard, the emperor, how I stormed through their camps killing everyone in TW2, how I imagined I would do the same in TW3, before discovering the hard truth of the choice I was given

Cyperpunk universe are pretty well prepared for "dark fiction", and I'm sure their dark storytelling talent will continue to express itself in this universe. I'm an easy target though, I like TPS, FPS and even turn based action game (ala Fallout Tactics/XCOM) so I would be surprised they do not satisfy me in term of game play. However, I won't lie, I believe range weapons tend to behave a bit less efficiently in a RPG, unless you use a turn based game, which we all know will not happen as it's not mainstream enough, and would turn away too many players. Hopefully, I'll still get the option.

If anything worries me, it's the main protagonist. I suspect we are aiming for a opened class system main protagonist, possibly even with customization option. Even if I do not mind the principle, by experience, I know a defined, prebuilt, main protagonist, with a deep personality/background (Geralt, Shepard) tend to build a more interesting story than a neutral, personality emasculated (and I don't mean female there, I mean a character whose personality has been neutralized) character (Skyrim/Fallout/Dragon Age 1/3).

Also, obviously, Sci-Fi/Modern universe do Open World with difficulties. Technically, a City with many skyscrapers is of little value if I can't visit each of them. And if I do, the depth tend to be reduced as a city on 3 dimension will get quite little if each building can be visited. So, this will be a tough one too. Hopefully, they succeed in circumventing the issue, maybe using auto generated content.

Last edited:
I know its a big leap from fantasy to cyberpunk ... but try to be open minded ... CDPR knows how to make good characters & story ... it might make you fall in love... As a random Asari that was pooped out of the thorian would say: "open yourself to the universe commander, embrace perfection" ! XD

because they dont make games for charity, having only one succefull ip and being a standalone dev team is bad on this days ,witcher games have been around since 2005-2006 its time for them to grow and make onther AAA ip like they know

And I'm not arguing that, not in the least. They should always stand firm to their roots, and never forget what made them.

@Riven-Twain: I expect them to continue raising the bar. Maybe not by a lot, but always pushing it. It's create a character right? It's been so long since I read anything. With that the story telling will be a different. But I expect a great story. Gameplay I know we know nothing, some similarities are bound to happen but whose to say how minor or major?

I remain a little skeptical just as I was with W3 which had it's fair share of shortcomings, but even when things don't go to plan it ends up being a fantastic game. They have a lot of time and experience for this one, so let's see what they do.

Last edited:
I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.

Yyyyyy.... okay.....

bye.

On the side note, I don't have any problem with Red's doing other things and I don't have a problem with getting into it. I would like them to make their own IP now but it's nothing I can decide on I'm afraid.

PS:
#CP2077HypeIsReal

Last edited:
Well, my eyes are tired right now... no courage for reading the all 7 pages so maybe I'll probably repeat something... but about CDPR and "quality" about their creativity.

Except Striggas, manticores and lamias which have an acurate description by Sapkowski,, CDPR's monsters designs are just AWSOME. CDPR's own characters like The Baron, Saskia, Letho, Iorveth, Roche and so go on are more than AWSOME. And spots and landsacpe are....wow breathless!

No need to add their proved skill for creating complicates and mature plots, so after all that the only reason right now to say one won't buy CP77 would be one doesn't like Sci-fi. ..and even then... there's so few information about CP77, (almost due too The Witcher hype year after year) that I can only imagine a great, great game. Like it or not it will surely be a matter of taste. MHO

I am not that interested in cyberpunk in all honesty. I'll judge it fairly though. I just don't like sci-fi/futuristic stuff.

To go a bit further, how many Witcher enthusiasts will indeed continue on to Cyberpunk2077? Do players expect similar qualities in Cyberpunk to those in The Witcher Series? What qualities of story and gameplay would these need to be, to specifically lure dedicated witchers into the depths of Night City?

I'm not genre-locked, though I find sometimes I'm in the mood for one and not the other. I remember the CP77 announcement and at that time the choice seemed somewhat serendipitous... it was around the same time as the additive printing tech was in the news, and though my opinion hasn't changed much since then - I thought moving to a scifi title was the obvious, natural & correct choice for a myriad of reasons... but shouldn't they really be planning two product lines now, one developed after the other? And wouldn't announcing a future fantasy product keep the genre-challenged on board? Wasn't there a hint of something else coming down the pipe?

Have ye missed me? ;)

Last edited:
Just a random thought: I know all great things are meant to end at some point, but still... regardless of how CP77 will turn out to be and what CDPR's plans for the future actually are, there's only one thing I know right now: that the final hours playing Blood&Wine - knowing we might never get to play original content featuring Geralt again - are going to bring for me that bittersweet, sad feeling of an awesome, unrepeatable adventure coming to an end.

What a fantastic ride, though.

I believe the Witcher franchise is done, but the Witcher universe has more potential.

The Witcher begins and ends for me with Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer, Dandelion, Triss, Zoltan, and the rest of the crew. There is no need to make another Witcher game especially without Geralt. As much as I hate to admit it I believe Geralt and Ciri's story arc is done. But at the same time Geralt is the Witcher for me, and no one can replace him.

I think CDPR's best bet is to make a spin off franchise, taking place in the world of the Witcher, that has nothing to do with Witchers.

For example a game where you play as a scoi'atael leader such as Iorveth, or as a rebel such as Saskia, or even as an Aen Elle. There are so many opportunities and interesting stories to be told, and CDPR could introduce new mechanics that fits the new character.

I'm generally a player of only medieval fantasy in terms of RPGs. Sci-fi doesn't particularly interest me. So I haven't followed CP too closely. However, given CDPR's track record, and how the Witcher Series has evolved, I have all the faith in them to make a stunning Cyberpunk, to the point that they will make me enjoy it, even though it's a genre I don't care for. I expect an equally deep story, deep characters, a beautifully-crafted world and dark themes. So, unless something causes me to go totally meh in the lead-up to release, I'll probably be playing the game Day 1.

In contrast: I am also a huge fan of the DA series. Even though lately it's been less than stellar, I'm sure I'll continue to play this series because I love the world. However, I can't get into the ME series. I didn't play it when it first came out and even though I own ME2, I have hardly gotten past the first few hours. Given Bioware's track record lately, I'm not sure I'll try Andromeda. I will wait until they release a DA4.

I sure wish that another Witcher game came out soon. Doesn't have to be Geralt. Just the world and similar theme. I totally understand how the devs can be burnt out. If apathy sets in, that gets dangerous. And definitely trying to branch out to other genres will only get them more fans (and thus $$$ for development). So yeah, sad TW may not return for a while. Same with DA. I will have to get my fantasy fix somewhere else in the meanwhile. But yeah, bring it on devs of all companies.... show us brilliant games and try to convert us to your genre! :)

How did I end up here? This is such a weird thread. Like Riven said, it is at *least* intriguing. But mostly, I think this is a fine example of how entitled modern gamers are and how they live in some wacky imaginary world where they expect to be served. And when they are not, they run off to their bedrooms screaming "I hate you!" and weep to the tune of "Noone understands me!".

I have just read the declarations of Mr. Marcin Iwinski saying that there won't be more expansions for TW· and there won't be a TW4 anytime soon.

Well, I like CD Projekt Red. I really do. I think they do great games and treat their clients right, better than other companies, but... I'm a fan of Geralt of Rivia, not a fan of CD Projekt Red. I would buy any game of Geralt of Rivia made by other developers, but I will not buy any game of CD Projeckt just becauste it is made by CD Projekt.

It seems that CD Projekt Red has abandoned Geralt´s world and is working in Cyberpunk. Well, I´m not interested in Cyberpunk. Actually, I feel kind of antipathy for that game knowing is the responsible of the end of Geralt´s saga, so I will not buy it and this is kind of a question of principles.

After the release of Blood and Wine, I will stop being a client of CD Projekt Red. I'm afraid the company will not see more money from me, and I just want to say "good bye".

It has been a great ride through three amazing games of Geralt, but if Geralt´s path ends here, my path as a client of CD Projetk Red ends too.

I really think that OP has a good positive view, and that he/she thinks TW series is so great, that he/she decides to stop supporting CDPR if they quit on making a new TW, or making a TW without Geralt. I believe that that's how good TW is. Some people just got themselves immersed in a game in a different way than others. I'm personally very curious about Cyberpunk. I just hope that it's still going to be a third person rather than first person game.

I just hope that it's still going to be a third person rather than first person game.

/Sign

Don't get this wrong, i really like first person, but not in RPGs.
And when it has to be, i hope it's optional...

They would be fools not to continue working and expanding in the witcher world. It has so much lore and potential.
I'm 100 % sure we'll see another witcher game in the future!

DEAR CDPROJECK RED FANBOYS: So... I write a comment saying thai I´m not going to buy Ciberpunk, and for that "sin", you verbally assaulted me. Do you think you are doing any favor to CD Projeck? Now, for sure, I will not buy any other product of CD Projeck after Blood and Wine. You, the fanboys, are giving a crappy imagen of CDProjeck in its own forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom