Gothic Remake Playable Teaser is being added to people's Steam libraries

+
If you own a Piranha Bytes or Gothic game, you'll notice that a Playable Teaser for THQ Nordic's Gothic remake is now in your library.

It's about two hours long, and seeks to show off THQN's overall vision for the game.

I've tried it myself, and I warn you, it's terribly optimized. I have a 2080 Ti and 8700k, and I'm getting 40 FPS on 1080p. Still, it won't take you long to decide if the style is for you.

I have many complaints with the teaser, but I won't clog up the OP with them here. If anyone wants to engage in a discussion about it, I'd be happy to.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no guarantee this remake will even be made. If it doesn't get enough feedback, or if people just hate everything about it, the idea will be scrapped.

First, some media:

There is no guarantee this remake will even be made. If it doesn't get enough feedback, or if people just hate everything about it, the idea will be scrapped.

Good. The first bits already look like they should be making their own game instead of trying to remake something they apparently do not know how to, and that does not need a sloppy remaking.

Good. The first bits already look like they should be making their own game instead of trying to remake something they apparently do not know how to, and that does not need remaking.

Yeah, I offered a lot of constructive criticism on the Discord and the Steam Discussions, but it's not a Gothic or even a Risen or Elex game at the moment.

They are taking feedback into account, though, and they are engaging a lot with users. It just concerns me that they missed the mark so badly. They copy-pasted elements from games that don't fit. Dialogue is bad, its worse than Fallout 4. Protagonist is cheesy and comments on everything (unnecessary). Combat is just For Honor's, except clunkier.

The only thing I liked was the world, and even then, I think it needs a lot of work on the colors and saturation. But the textures/models/environments did (IMO) fit Gothic.

But that's it.

Give me Gothic 4 that’s actually made by Piranha Bytes and I’ll bite, but this just sounds like... I don’t even know what it sounds like.

Sild

Ex-moderator
I'm conflicted about this.

On one hand, I'd be delighted if the Gothic series, which is one on my fondest gaming memories gets revitalised, with a chance for a continuation or even a reboot.

On the other, I've seen enough attempted remasters to realise it's a very slippery slope that can do more harm than good to a series, it's developers or fans.

Unlike other instances, however, I think they're approach is with caution and respect for it's legacy and fanbase (no prior fanfare, just "look what we're trying to do, how do you feel about it?") and I wish them best of luck and hope something memorable comes out of it. Even if it dosen't it would serve as a learning experience for a future, albeit, very far future modern Gothic game.

That said, I should probably give it a whirl. :D

Hey,
very interesting.

I don't like what I see too much. Mostly the graphics, combat and level design.

Graphics are too bright, too optimistic and it reminds me more of Tomb Raider, God of war and Horizon. It's impressive and all that, but not Gothic. I would like them to heavily darken...everything.
Also, forests look too fairy-tale-ish, too open and again, not Gothic. I would like them to be dense, dark, dangerous and mysteriously looking.

The combat looks like shit, honestly. Some locking system with health bars and circles. I would like to see it completely lock-less, fluent, easy to grasp and natural to feel.
Or at least some light-lock clicker, where you just spam attacks and kill everything.

Level design is too modern for the game Gothic is. Everything should be denser and more corridor-ish. Especially the bridge at 1:17 looks like the terrible design to me.
It seems like no matter how casual a thing is, putting some flags or pieces of clothes on/around it with Nvidia effects enabled and making it too slim for its purpose is a way of modern level design. Heh...

However, what I like is the fire scene at 1:15 and the dungeon at 1:32.
I think that because of how dark Gothic is; it could greatly benefit from (particle) effects like fireflies, fire, light, water, falling leaves, rain and stuff.

Gonna look forward to this, thanks for the tip :)

Top Bottom