GOTY edition questions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
considering the E3 builds were running on DX11, DX12 support is not really needed to make the game look prettier, and would be more of hassle than anything, i think games that will really take advantage of DX12 havnt been made yet, they need to be built around it from the ground up rather than the current consensus of porting DX11 rendered to DX12

now as for this GOTY edition, i highly doubt there will be any enhancement to the game, the timing is simply not right, unless by some magic they had a very small team working on it since Hos release ~

2017/2018 seems more realistic for an enhanced edition, they could pull off what Rockstar did with GTAV and make a proper port of the game to the new consoles and rack up more money, but the enhancement need to be substantial, wich take time and the GOTY edition is simply too short on that, they also mentioned an unannounced new AAA games release for 17/18 (?) in their earning conference and i believe they didnt say thats its a new ip

also dont forget about Cyberpunk, W3 will be buried once the machine start on their new game

Last edited:
2017/2018 seems more realistic for an enhanced edition, they could pull off what Rockstar did with GTAV and make a proper port of the game to the new consoles and rack up more money

By that time, they might be fully focused on Cyberpunk (to be released in 2018 ?), not sure if enhancing TW3 would still be seen as something that is worth the resources. Maybe in 2017 and/or if CP2077 will not be out before 2019. However, at least from the current jobs available at the company (see here), it does not look like there are any major projects related to Witcher at this time, other than GWENT. Would they return to an "old" game after having already stopped working on it ? That did not happen with the previous titles.

they also mentioned an unannounced new AAA games release for 17/18 (?) in their earning conference and i believe they didnt say thats its a new ip

If I recall correctly, that other AAA game is planned to be released until 2021 (source, this should be available somewhere in PDF format), but nothing has been revealed about it. It may or may not be a new IP. Also, "additional media content and product lines" are planned for the core franchises, but that could mean anything, not necessarily actual game content.

By that time, they might be fully focused on Cyberpunk (to be released in 2018 ?), not sure if enhancing TW3 would still be seen as something that is worth the resources. Maybe in 2017 and/or if CP2077 will not be out before 2019. However, at least from the current jobs available at the company (see here), it does not look like there are any major projects related to Witcher at this time, other than GWENT. Would they return to an "old" game after having already stopped working on it ? That did not happen with the previous titles.

i dont expect CP before 2018/ late 2017, so ther's plenty of time there, also an enhanced edition is not a new game with new contents or DLC like B&W, technically they dont have to create anything, wich mean they dont need any artist on the project for example, B&W is a much bigger project than an enhanced edition if we look closely

obviously this is assuming the only thing that it would have is a visual/technical upgrade to the base game, no new quests or anything like that ( wich make sens since they said it out loud that there will be no more new content for the game ) maybe few new gameplay features that they couldnt implement because of tech limitation ect ..so therefore the only peoples you need there are programmers, the game is already ready and done, and even if for example they decide to upgrade the textures, they already have higher quality textures, its just implementation, and same goes for creatures, objects ect ...

and to make thing easier, we know for sure that the engine will be upgraded for CP, so they dont need to upgrade it specifically for W3 EE, its already done for CP, obviously they are two different game with different setting that require different tech i suppose, but close enough to share the same engine

as to why they would do that, well .. money obviously, they have a chance to do what rockstar did with GTAV, and everyone and his mother is hoping for a visuals upgrade to the game to bring it to what they showed us initially, and also ... they are cool peoples ! : )

also an enhanced edition is not a new game with new contents or DLC like B&W, technically they dont have to create anything

Exactly, when it comes to visuals many assets used in earlier builds already appear done, I very much doubt they have been deleted outright. They are simply sitting there in a computer somewhere in the CDPR offices just waiting (begging) to be used.

There's still bug squishing going on, as far as I know.

[Speculation Warning]

For "added content", I would guess not too much. I'm going to place chips on:

- extender to add B&W graphics to the rest of the game
- a new "special edition" armor set
or
- fancy new sign / spell effects

Last edited:
I really hope they take their time with it to make it something special.

No need to rush it out for release this month in my eyes.

I already own the CE edition of the main game + physical versions of the expansions, but if the cover would look really nice, something like the cover for the new BioShock collection, I would probably buy the GOTY version .. I don't expect anything new - maybe new patch for some of the bugs that are still in the game - but if they would put the graphic enhances introduced in B&W to the previous areas, that would be a nice suprise for sure..

Well my dream would be to have a some kind of cutscene in the Reason of State atleast for Djikstra if you kill him off or just make some changes to it to make it more reasonable, because that quests falls apart at the end.. and of course some real lines added to Eredin would be great too - after reading again the books and going to his scenes with Ciri and how much dialog they shared between themselves, I'm even more disappointed how CD Projekt RED treated him in the game - those scenes were so great in the books, but in the game he is so one-dimensional and plain + the change in Avallac''s character in the game compared to his character in the books was so sudden and baffling to me (even though I like him).. it's just a shame that we know that CD Projekt RED writers can write one of the greatest original characters in videogame history (Letho, Gaunter, the Crones, Bloody Baron, Olgierd, Jacques, Roche, Iorveth (yes, I know he was mentioned in the books), I even liked Dettlaff - the scene at the table was one of the best in the entire franchise), but then they butchered some other characters so much..

Last edited:
Exactly, when it comes to visuals many assets used in earlier builds already appear done, I very much doubt they have been deleted outright. They are simply sitting there in a computer somewhere in the CDPR offices just waiting (begging) to be used.

I think so too. On the other hand, it was already unbelievable that they replaced the assets with worse counterparts just during several months before release, for that must be a ton of work. Still, if by any chance we'll get the enhanced visuals (oh and please, the original jump animation is so adorable. Geralt doesn't jump that way anymore in the final build), quite a portion of fans will likely buy it again.

Actually, the last DX12 patch for ROTR gave me a 5 fps increase over DX11. Previously it was about the same or worse.

I don't think we'll get DX12 with TW3 GOTY though.

It technically really depends of your rig. Most of the time, for ROTR, you're losing a bit of framerate if you're running Nvidia. Not much really, but globally it's useless.

DX12 talks is currently overblown. It's, mostly, encouraged by AMD followers because of the huge gap there is in Drivers between Nvidia and AMD, on top of the fact that AMD has basically invested a lot of their architecture into mantle, and what it means for DX12/Vulkan (Async Compute/GCN).

However, the big issue with DX12/Vulkan is that you're putting in the hands of the developers what you use to put in the hands of your GPU manufacturer / driver. Sure, theoretically, reducing the driver is a good thing, if you have extremely good developers, and a fixed architecture. If you don't, and PC doesn't have it, then it's a whole different story. If you're dealing with a very good developer, capable of using the capacity of your GPU at its best, then yes, DX12 may well bring you more than DX11. If you don't, then DX11 might well give you more than DX12.

So well, I'd rather have them focusing their energy on doing, something else, like better assets, improved lighting technology, than remaking their whole engine for DX12 or Vulkan for that matter.

There's still bug squishing going on, as far as I know.

[Speculation Warning]

For "added content", I would guess not too much. I'm going to place chips on:

- extender to add B&W graphics to the rest of the game
- a new "special edition" armor set
or
- fancy new sign / spell effects

B&W graphics? I sincerely hope so.

But, a new sign 100% won't happen. There are a few reasons why.

1. There are only seven signs. The other two, Heliotrop and Somne, are either redundant and nearly useless, respectively. Heliotrop is very similar to Quen, and Somne just puts people to sleep.

2. A huge amount of care went into each, individual sign in the game. Each is more or less effective against different monster, each has multiple animations, and each requires a great deal of work. Not only would Heliotrop only be used against the same monsters as Quen, but Somne would probably not be used at all.

3. A lot of new players already struggle with the five basic signs. Adding a sixth would really throw them off.

---------- Updated at 06:11 PM ----------

I think so too. On the other hand, it was already unbelievable that they replaced the assets with worse counterparts just during several months before release, for that must be a ton of work. Still, if by any chance we'll get the enhanced visuals (oh and please, the original jump animation is so adorable. Geralt doesn't jump that way anymore in the final build), quite a portion of fans will likely buy it again.

Do you have a video or .GIF of the original animation?

Guest 2364765

As for a new sign I rather see them fixing the alternate Axii sign instead.
If by fixing you mean it not triggering when using keyboard, then it's something that you can fix by yourself.

In this panel, game director Konrad Tomaskiewicz said that the Goty edition will have " a lot of nice things, the expansions and no bugs".

at 48:16

I wonder what he meant by "nice things" but I will keep my expectations low for now.

In this panel, game director Konrad Tomaskiewicz said that the Goty edition will have " a lot of nice things, the expansions and no bugs".

at 48:16

I wonder what he meant by "nice things" but I will keep my expectations low for now.

Keeping one's expectations low for video games is a good idea. That way, you'll never be disappointed...only pleased. ;)

Guest 2364765

No bugs is a bold statement.
All in all, as much as i like and respect CDPR for what it is, i'm not holding my breath pre-relase talk is always just fancy PR. Even though W3 turned out to be a great game we all know it was hyped up to be more than it actually was (especially in terms of mod support).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom