GOTY edition questions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starting from 1:17 and 3:17, you can see the better jump animation. This animation is also available in the 35 min gameplay video.

Defenetly, there was a big downgrade in graphics. This gameplay looks awesome

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

You're right. That looks terrific. I wonder why they got rid of it.

New players. At some point, consoles couldn't reacht these graphics. Almost every controversial decision was taken in order to please console players.

People always blame console players for bringing this game down, but it's worth bearing in mind that The Witcher 3 wouldn't have even been possible without the additional revenue that was generated by making this a multiplatform title.

If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is. We can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales; have a higher budget for the game, and invest it all into developing this huge, gigantic world. ~ Marcin Iwinski

The truth of the matter is that the PC scene - while it has grown considerably over the past few years - is still not lucrative enough to sustain a large AAA company by itself, especially when they are investing more and more in these large, 100+ hour open-world experiences. Instead of blaming Sony or Microsoft, pc gamers should look inward and ask what they can do to bring more people into their fold.

Defenetly, there was a big downgrade in graphics. This gameplay looks awesome

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

New players. At some point, consoles couldn't reacht these graphics. Almost every controversial decision was taken in order to please console players.

That's what a bunch of people have been saying since day one.

---------- Updated at 08:32 AM ----------

People always blame console players for bringing this game down, but it's worth bearing in mind that The Witcher 3 wouldn't have even been possible without the additional revenue that was generated by making this a multiplatform title.

The truth of the matter is that the PC scene - while it has grown considerably over the past few years - is still not lucrative enough to sustain a large AAA company by itself, especially when they are investing more and more in these large, 100+ hour open-world experiences. Instead of blaming Sony or Microsoft, pc gamers should look inward and ask what they can do to bring more people into their fold.

Totally not true, for one. They made this game before they sold it, let's not forget. Also, more importantly, this totally goes against everything CDPR used to claim to stand for. They were specifically focused on hardcore RPG for PC players. In fact, they even wrote us lovely little messages about it. I think that's why people are upset. It used to feel like every video game company in the world - except CDPR - were only there to make as much money as possible and didn't much care what the game was, so long as it made them money.

It's not exactly the same, but it's sort of similar to Dragon Age. Dragon Age: Origins - still described as one of the greatest RPGs ever. Then the follow-up got rushed out and was awful. It made all the devs/corporate whatnots a ton of money, but was poorly recieved. People lost trust in the company. Nowadays, BioWare is synonymous with EA.

What we have is the company we used to feel cared about us simply no longer caring. I'm not saying this is the case, but it can sure feel this way. The PC gaming community (which is also, a lot of times, the modding community) used to be CDPR's only priority. And instead of bringing the consoles in as another community to share the attention and dedication CDPR is famous for, since the console community is so much louder, they've begun catering to them instead. And let's face it, any community that large is going to be pretty ridiculous in its demands/requests/whatever. (New Game Plus mode? On a Witcher game? Boggle) So yeah, we feel left behind. And rightly so. They advertised and talked about a modding tool that would let us make quests and adventures - we got a broken tool with 3 functions and no documentation - that very much does NOT let us make new quests and adventures. Which is quite sad, as they've told us this is the last Witcher game, so why not let us players keep Geralt and company alive by creating mods? No one knows - they won't tell us. Leaving it open to speculation. And with all the feelings from the aforementioned problems in the air, speculation is not good.

But who knows? CDPR has to know how their core, loyal fans feel about this. They've been pretty vocal about it. Maybe the GOTY will make up for it. Maybe it'll have Iorveth and Saskia. Maybe it'll be released with an update of the modkit to include what they promised. Doubtful, but possible. And I'd like to think there are still people there who keep CDPR's old values. Otherwise, this industry would be much sadder place.

Last edited:
pc gamers should look inward and ask what they can do to bring more people into their fold.

What are you saying here? That we as PC gamers are the ones to blame that the game suddenly changed drastically by the end of 2014? (Changes CDPR themselves denies for the longest time had even took place).

If so what do you suggest we could could have done differently at that time to prevent it? Shout on everyone to buy and play on PC?

If developers want players to care about the PC more they need to start to care more about it themselves by releasing quality titles that caters to the strengths of the platform.

Anyway this discussion is probably better off continued in threads such as this.

While true that CDPR would never have sold as many copies as they did if they were PC only then made the console versions, it will always leave a foul taste that because of the limited hardware. Make no mistake about it, most of the "downgrades" were because of the console versions, developing three different versions of one game would be a real pain, normally I would not really care, but this has affected the main story's last act as well, so that is why even if I normally do not care about graphical downgrades, once it affects the story of the game, then it is a problem that unfortunately CDPR had to deal with.

But yes, this is going off-topic.

When I was writing my list of cut content, I made a mistake and the Infiltration quest was indeed part of Q211 (Canaris/Caranthir), taking place after obtaining Sunstone and visiting Avallac'h lab. It would involve trying to lure WIld Hunt into a trap via Sunstone (which in the final game begins the last battle instead), attack on Kaer Trolde and Caranthir kidnapping Avallac'h. Then Geralt would enter Naglfar under disguise of illusion and did the infiltration. Right after that battle in Novigrad begins, so basically this quest was a part of the game big finale.

Melitele's tits....it seems as if this game was actually written 3x better than what made it into the final production. This sounds like the finale that the saga deserves and I would take such restored content even over the appearance of Iorveth or the return of the Devil's Pit axed Catriona plague plotline. Unfortunately, the GOTY is very unlikely to do any such thing.

IMO. As far as the cut content goes, that has nothing to do with the consoles. Graphics probably diffrent story..

IMO. As far as the cut content goes, that has nothing to do with the consoles. Graphics probably diffrent story..

A frozen Novgrad (which was the original idea) would probably take a lot of processing power so it could actually have been a factor.

For example the first Crysis game the aliens froze the whole island you played on at the end but their ability to freeze the environment was cut in future installments as it was deemed to resource heavy for the consoles to handle.

A frozen Novgrad (which was the original idea) would probably take a lot of processing power so it could actually have been a factor.

It would not necessarily have been the entire city, it is possible that the final battle would have been limited to only a part of the city (which would have needed the frozen version), with the rest of it closed off and fast travel disabled for the duration of the battle. Interestingly, the buildings in the frozen part of the world in Through Time and Space look like they are from Novigrad, perhaps they reused the assets (there would also have been a "Novigrad destroyed by nature" section of that quest).

Melitele's tits....it seems as if this game was actually written 3x better than what made it into the final production. This sounds like the finale that the saga deserves and I would take such restored content even over the appearance of Iorveth or the return of the Devil's Pit axed Catriona plague plotline. Unfortunately, the GOTY is very unlikely to do any such thing.

Agree. And GOTY Edition has been done thinking on sales so there won't be anything new probably. And if there is, it will be probably focused on new players. PC users and fans are now a relic from the past for what we've seen

Perhaps because it looked awkward in different contexts than what is shown on the video (jumping down from a ledge), but that is only a guess. I doubt that changing the jumping animation would have been needed for performance reasons.

actually it does, animations can hit hard on the CPU, thats probably why they changed nearly every animations ( and why they slowed geralt to snail level, but thats my theory ), final games has fairly choppy animatons with many transition frames straightly removed, usually this is helped by adding motion blur, wich they did for B&W

Guest 2364765

actually it does, animations can hit hard on the CPU, thats probably why they changed nearly every animations ( and why they slowed geralt to snail level, but thats my theory ), final games has fairly choppy animatons with many transition frames straightly removed, usually this is helped by adding motion blur, wich they did for B&W

Uh, animations are still animations. They are all compressed and keyframed at 30 frames per second, i'm not an engineer relevant to this field but as far as i can tell their impact is pretty much constant. Also you don't really need "transition frames", animations are blended - that's how any decent animation system works nowadays. You don't create animation that goes straight into every possible followup animation, engine blends them for you. On top of that, animations work by interpolating both bones position and rotation between keyframes in linear way, thus it's impossible for animation to look "choppy" unless something is really wrong with the system. Even lowering keyframe amount will result in animation that's smooth but relatively less organic, or more robotic so to speak.

Also
usually this is helped by adding motion blur, wich they did for B&W
What?

Last edited by a moderator:

For example the first Crysis game the aliens froze the whole island you played on at the end but their ability to freeze the environment was cut in future installments as it was deemed to resource heavy for the consoles to handle.

Edit: Stupid. Misread your post.

Uh, animations are still animations. They are all compressed and keyframed at 30 frames per second, i'm not an engineer relevant to this field but as far as i can tell their impact is pretty much constant. Also you don't really need "transition frames", animations are blended - that's how any decent animation system works nowadays. You don't create animation that goes straight into every possible followup animation, engine blends them for you. On top of that, animations work by interpolating both bones position and rotation between keyframes in linear way, thus it's impossible for animation to look "choppy" unless something is really wrong with the system. Even lowering keyframe amount will result in animation that's smooth but relatively less organic, or more robotic so to speak.

Also

What?

hum i didnt use the right words since am not very knowledgeable on the subject beside knowing the basic of it, but you kinda responded to my interrogation on it, if there were more key frame, the animation would be smoother and therefore heavier on resources, also i dont think ther's one animation per frame every time necessarily, am pretty sure some are skipped to save performance and sometime for artistic choice, or it might be a bug, i dont know

something am sure about is that some animations are far from smooth in the game, and geralt animation were way smoother in the older E3 builds than vanilla, was it a different animation system ? how to explain theire removal if the system is the same and they are of the same quality ? if it was one or two animation here and there it wouldnt be problematic, but nearly every geralt animation was swapped for worse, hell even something as simple as look at/headtracking ( like your mod ) was removed

and yeah motion blur help to smooth out choppy animation, not sure why you're surprised, i know that everyone hate that for some reasons ( that i dont understand ) but the reality is that its widely used someitme for that specific purpose, they didnt add motion blurr in B&W just for the sake of it ( espcially combat, surprise !), also 30fps animations are bad, or i played too much street fighter wich has 60fps animation

Last edited:
Iorveth should must be there, i mean, there are two paths in tw2: Roche: he is in the game and he is an ally against the wild hunt, and then Iorveth, he can be an ally too! and the scoiatael of course, the catriona plague plotline shuld be also reintroduced, you speak to Keira, and she speaks of a plague and a cure and Radovid, it seems to be very important, but no, that's all, we never saw what happened or what will happen.

i hope, at least this goty edition has some new stuff, even if it is little like some free dlc quests, of some new armors or new contracts, i don't know, something new!

I suspect that CDPR are at least considering making and releasing an Enhanced Edition with improved visuals, performance and restored/new content (in maybe a year or two from now). But even if there were any plans for it right now, they wouldn't confirm it yet, because then not as many people would buy the GOTY Edition. Which I couldn't blame CDPR for from a business sense. I'm definitely double-dipping and getting the GOTY, while also hoping for an Enhanced Edition in the future. One of my biggest regrets as a gamer was not picking up the Collector's Edition of TW3 =*(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom