Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look here http://i.imgur.com/2hwomXo.jpg at 100% zoom, or better at 200% if you are not practicing photography. ;-)
(Hint: grass in the lower left, highlights on the sword, edges on right arm etc)

And this is just one of the less obvious examples.

EDIT: Sorry, quietrapture, i mixed up the quotes!

That is a doctored shot.

Take the Original Shot for example - there is absolutely no Chromatic Aberration happening there.

I think that was a reference to the Main city, Islands, No mans land, etc. I even remember hearing that different types of mythology would appear in the various areas.
yeah I think they wanted to give every of the three main regions a unique mood. Problem is, that so far I don't get this dark and gritty mood Velen should give me. Everything is just too colorful and bright. It prefered the more "grounded" and less colorful look from the first vids/screens.

That is a doctored shot.

Take the Original Shot for example - there is absolutely no Chromatic Aberration happening there.

Your comment just cost me 10min of my busy life. :-/
Below is the shot that you gave me, that apparently has absolutely no CA. Right....

---------- Updated at 10:39 PM ----------

It prefered the more "grounded" and less colorful look from the first vids/screens.

I'm with you, buddy.

Your comment just cost me 10min of my busy life. :-/
Below is the shot that you gave me, that apparently has absolutely no CA. Right....

---------- Updated at 10:39 PM ----------

I'm with you, buddy.

you realize this is jpg compression effect?

I find this the footage showed during the Nvidia presentation to me more impressive visually than the recent PAX gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umx4HuoHVAA#t=13m27s

Less bad texture work staring you in the face and I like the colours a lot more (PAX footage looked quite yellow/pinkish) and the overall look reminds me more of the 35min demonstration which completely sold me on the game. It's just the vegetation that looks a bit more low-res than I would like. One can only hope that aspect of the game's visuals is still being worked on but I won't hope for miracles with only 2 months left until release.

Why people care about the graphics so much when it comes to this title is not only probably because of the very first trailers but also because of how the Witcher 2 looked when it launched 4 years and pushed graphics the same way as Crysis back in 2007 (I personally still find it to be the best looking game on the market after recently replaying it) and people simply expect (hope) that the Witcher 3 will take everything from the 2nd game and build and improve upon it and CD Projekt has not let us down... yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
Not to cost to more of your time, but could you try taking that still from the uncompressed video footage and finding the same aberration? I believe what's being witnessed there is actually compression distortion.

https://ne1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net/004.../Videos/US_ESRB_PAX_2015/US_ESRB_PAX 2015.zip

Nope, it's still CA, even in the "uncompressed" footage. This is no JPG artifact, because there's none in the image center and the intensity rises the more you go to the edge (his right hand fingers and the grass on the lower left).

Believe me. I'm doing this stuff for a living.

Oh, and BTW, if you can't see it here, well, don't be too hard on yourself - but i'm giving up. It's the last posting on the CA subject. I hate the effect - too futuristic, too 80's, it has no place in The Witcher - i will disable it, if possible.

Last edited:
Nope, it's still CA, even in the "uncompressed" footage. This is no JPG artifact, because there's none in the image center and the intensity rises the more you go to the edge (his right hand fingers and the grass on the lower left).

I'd have attributed it to an anti-aliasing halo, but it is more prominent on the outer edge of his glove than the inner. Overall I still get an impression of what I remember from microscopy as lateral chromatic aberration. And I don't see why it would be there unless it were in some way intentional.

I tend to agree also but hey, there is always SweetFX if you want some of that desaturated/darker look back :3

The Witcher 2 really nailed how to use saturated colours properly though I think

TW2 was gloriously done, visually. I'm totally missing the grittiness in TW3. But yeah, SweetFX to the rescue. We are PC gamers, we have a choice. :)

The Witcher 2 really nailed how to use saturated colours properly though I think
Launch time there were plenty of odd issues with the bloom especially, made it look as if the game was set in a nuclear wasteland changed the picture quite a lot, severely toned down in patches but there's still a few places where it shows.

I love witcher games for more things than just graphics, but graphics are very important to me. When I played W2 I was just running around and watch how all things look great, the forest, the sun, buildings, everything and I want to have even better than that in W3. I really hope that CDPR wont let us down, but as more and more gameplays are coming out, things look uglier and that is a fact.
What I dont understand is that isnt there a way to make a game on PC looking as beautiful as it can be, and than downgrade it for the consoles without affecting the PC version, isnt there a way to do that?

I love witcher games for more things than just graphics, but graphics are very important to me. When I played W2 I was just running around and watch how all things look great, the forest, the sun, buildings, everything and I want to have even better than that in W3. I really hope that CDPR wont let us down, but as more and more gameplays are coming out, things look uglier and that is a fact.
What I dont understand is that isnt there a way to make a game on PC looking as beautiful as it can be, and than downgrade it for the consoles without affecting the PC version, isnt there a way to do that?

Theoretically there is absolutly a way. You would have to split PC development and Console Development at the point where you need to scale down for consoles.The Problem here after this point you basically would to do everything you do after that step TWICE because you have 2 different versions now.
Every little change you make after splitting PC and Console you need to do on both versions or you end up with pretty different games.

and that would lead CDPR into bankruptcy very fast.
So yeah in theory it could work but no developer will ever immensly INCREASE their workload on purpose... that would be economic suicide.

Oh, and BTW, if you can't see it here, well, don't be too hard on yourself - but i'm giving up. It's the last posting on the CA subject. I hate the effect - too futuristic, too 80's, it has no place in The Witcher - i will disable it, if possible.

I can definitely see what you are talking about. I appreciate you taking the time to demonstrate that using the best quality footage we have available. This eliminates some potential causes, and makes it more likely that it's an intentional effect, one that (I'm with you here) will be disabled if possible if we can manage it.

I just hope all the effects shown in the Nvidia trailer from 2013 were not thrown in the garbage bin and can be turned on in the settings if you really want them. I don't care if that would mean it would melt by PC. Because then I would simply have to settle with "only" a great looking game instead of a mind blowing looking one until the day I eventually own a rig that can run it all enabled (just put a warning next to the settings like they did with ubersampling). I'm crossing my fingers for an Nvidia features video just before release.

That is what I enjoyed about the original Crysis, it was by far the best looking game when it came out, even when not turned up to max settings and it only become better looking with age.

The devs should just decisively and directly address this issue by now, one way or the other. It's not just this thread, it's all over the Internet. If there is downgrade just admit it. Are they just going to wait to hear it from the reviews?

okay.... now I'm worried. Why don't they show ultra settings with some gameplay. All we've seen is lower settings or console gameplay.

I cancelled my pre-order.

Graphics are a key selling point of this game, and failure to explain the downgrade (or why it looks like there is one?) and the devs not being concerned is a red flag in my book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom