Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until today I tought there is so much talk of downgrade so we could argue about something and by doing so killing time before game comes out.

But today, after those screenshots came out, I am convinced that some people here WANT Witcher 3 to look bad and downgraded, for what purpose I dont know, maybe they dont like CDPR or whatever. We were given a proof today that W3 is looking awesome, and that should be enough for all of us, whether clouds are moving or not.

Up until today I tought there is so much talk of downgrade so we could argue about something and by doing so killing time before game comes out.

But today, after those screenshots came out, I am convinced that some people here WANT Witcher 3 to look bad and downgraded, for what purpose I dont know, maybe they dont like CDPR or whatever. We were given a proof today that W3 is looking awesome, and that should be enough for all of us, whether clouds are moving or not.
Well at least downgrader talks took some time already and there are less time to wait now. ;)

Well, to be honest, I've made a few comparisons with the new 4K screenshot. It looks to me like CDPR didn't lie; there's no real "downgrade"..

The only remaining notable differences (imo) is the sharpening filter *gone*, the draw distance and the volumetric clouds. The VGX trailer has a clearly visible contrast filter + color filter which made it quite a bit better at the time...

Anyway, here's my comparison for today. You be the judge, I cannot spot any difference (unless those mentioned above).

I highly doubt that!

Damn, are you saying it's unlikely that @Sardukhar.479 will have to spam that he was wrong? Such a shame...

Let's not jump to this conclusion too quickly. :)

For the most part, I won't be complaining about "CDPR has pulled an Ubisoft. Look at the obvious downgrade!" because I would definitely be in the wrong. The game looks playable for now and should look pretty good with the use of 3rd party image enhancing software.

Nonetheless, I did state that some things were downgraded, like draw distance and LoD (see those mountains in the background?), and that is definitely within the definition of a downgrade..

I agree with @bombeyboxx. While first screenshot looks better than Pax demo, it still doesn't hold up against earlier builds but at least it looks better. While second image on ship, seems to be missing volumetric clouds that we saw every time on new renderer before E3 2014, whenever there were ice covered mountains. Seems like they completely removed them.

I know it's not exactly comforting to watch 1 hour+ of Gameplay Demos and not see a single semi-volumetric cloud, but that could simply be the nature of the game. You might go 5 hours without seeing a single one, and then suddenly go to Skellige and they're on the side of every single mountain in view.

There's plenty of moments in the SoD where mountains do not have any SVC's on them, both in Skellige and other locations, there's also not a single SVC in the VGX Trailer. So I really don't think the lack of them in Gameplay Demos is enough to make the assumption that they've been removed.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if they are gone, but I still think there's a solid chance they exist, and we'll find that out in a couple of months (Or if we see some footage with them back sooner).

Let's not jump to this conclusion too quickly. :)

For the most part, I won't be complaining about "CDPR has pulled an Ubisoft. Look at the obvious downgrade!" because I would definitely be in the wrong. The game looks playable for now and should look pretty good with the use of 3rd party image enhancing software.

Nonetheless, I did state that some things were downgraded, like draw distance and LoD (see those mountains in the background?), and that is definitely within the definition of a downgrade..

Well, like you said, let's not jump to conclusions too quickly. It's quite possible that, from the same spot in the game right now, you can see those same mountains :)

Anyway, I hope at least something is downgraded, it'd be a damn shame if Sard got away with this... Come on REDs, I'm counting on you.

Well, to be honest, I've made a few comparisons with the new 4K screenshot. It looks to me like CDPR didn't lie; there's no real "downgrade"..

The only remaining notable differences (imo) is the sharpening filter *gone*, the draw distance and the volumetric clouds. The VGX trailer has a clearly visible contrast filter + color filter which made it quite a bit better at the time...

Anyway, here's my comparison for today. You be the judge, I cannot spot any difference (unless those mentioned above).

Personally i never thought that grass textures were downgraded. However it does seem to me that some grass models may have been removed.
http://www.nowgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/the-witcher-3-novigrad.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ony2r0QFs Pause this at 2:32-2:33(better on uncompressed version)

Seems like on the debut trailer there are 2 or 3 different grass models at the same spot, while on the 35min gameplay only 1. Of course it could be the camera angle, but that's how it seems.

Ok great no DOWNGRADE! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now thread end. No more griping! Right? /end sarcasam. ^_^

It must be highly gratifying for those members of the graphics team responsible for foliage and grass that their work is receiving such minute attention, and protracted -- often heated -- discussion.

Nevermind, I just thought. that actually ALL clouds will use this Volumetric technology (well, u know. kind of next-gen i suppose) but its not, only few clouds in few places (mountains etc.). Others - usual cloud's method. as in all other games

I don't think this can be achievable with acceptable framerate

I dont want to fight with anybody . But did you really think This Textures from the ground are okey? Now thanks to this new image and the one show in Pax ; I can confirm with my eyes ( from My point of view ) Texture parity state for Cd projekt was true .

Yes the game will be more beautiful at 4k or Dsr ( Nvidia) ; Txaa ; Physx etc etc . But the core of the engine will be the same

I really was expecting from cd projekt something like shadow of mordor Ultra settings- But for me without insult anyone . I think this is parity marketing all the way in

I dont want to fight with anybody . But did you really think This Textures from ground are okey? Now thanks to this new image and the one show in Pax ; I can confirm with my eyes Texture parity state for Cd projekt was true . Yes the game will be more beautiful at 4k or Dsr ( Nvidia) ; Txaa ; Physx etc etc . But the core of the engine will be the same . I really was expecting from cd projekt something like shadow of mordor Ultra settings- But for me without insult anyone . I think this is parity marketing all the way in

Of course texture will be the same ... It would be an unrealistic amount of work otherwise. All the games in the world have the same texture on everyplatform. Doesn't mean they will have the same level of quality though.

Serioulsy to notice it's bad you have to put your nose on it... From total screen point of view it's beautiful. The res will bother only if the grass takes half of the screen and hide your character XD

I thought I heard my pc sobbing quietly last night - now I know why. Downgrade or not, the game is beautiful for an open world one. Still, life has taught me that you can never ever please everyone. And some people just seem to have unrealistic expectations judging by comments around the internet. Why, apparently Witcher 3 is an unoptimized mess unless a single 970 runs it on high settings (1080) with a minimum of 60 fps. Now I know nothing about technical stuff, just a buy and play type of guy, but even I think it highly unlikely.

To mention that 4K picture. I want to find the CDPR developer who thought it was a good idea to add chromatic aberration in the game and smash him over the head with it.

It wasn't really that noticeable on YT, but it's a very sore point on that picture.

Still, life has taught me that you can never ever please everyone. And some people just seem to have unrealistic expectations judging by comments around the internet.

It is not unrealistic to expect them to make the game look as in THEIR OWN FUCKING TRAILERS that they released over a year ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom