Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Things we´ve learned today: 1. Avoid sunsets. 2. Your rig needs all of your savings. Now!

The new screenshot to me really evokes a Witcher 1 atmosphere. The huts are very reminiscent of the sorts of huts you'd see in the Outskirts of Vizima or Murky Waters. Incredibly nostalgic and really gives me the right feeling for a Witcher game - it's the atmosphere of the first game that made me fall in love with the series, and seeing them recapture it here is awesome.

As for visual fidelity, it does look really nice. I am still hoping that there are more graphics settings to come on ultra (here's hoping), but this screenshot at least confirms that there has been no drastic downgrade, at the very least.

Things we´ve learned today: 1. Avoid sunsets. 2. Your rig needs all of your savings. Now!

I do not understand what is different between grass in two pictures. They look identical. The difference is picture resolution. Look carefully. Same grass and vegetation in same place in both picture.

Now this is funny. If grass is bad in top picture now everybody must say same thing for bottom picture. If grass in bottom picture is good then everybody must admit that they were wrong about grass downgrade.

Last edited:
The only footage released thus far said to be on a platform other than PC on high was the griffin hunt shown at the Microsoft E3 2014 conference. A lead dev says it's PC on high, suffixes his statement with a cautionary «I think» and you go and claim that claiming it's PC on high is spreading rumours?

It's PC on high, as Damien tweeted days ago, and hasn't rectified.

I think it's time to come to terms with the fact the game is not going to look significantly better on comparable settings by the time it releases. Sure, one can delude oneself all one wants by thinking that perhaps that was on Xbox One or that there are still 60 magic days for them to crunch up a rabbit out of their hat. I think neither of those consoling thoughts is grounded in reality.

@freakie1one , just to warp our last exchange, you're running into unsupported assumptions you were trying to escape from. You don't know how taxing those effects are, you don't know if those locations are barren by design, etc., so you cannot claim those effects are only deliverable if gameplay elements are turned off - which would amount to saying they are impossible to reproduce under normal conditions - unless you add a few caveats to that assertion.

But moving on.
Your latest comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek. To this, as usual, I offer the facts: of the 16 free DLCs we're getting a beard and hairstyle set, an armour set, and also an alternative look for Yennefer. Hardly earthshaking, As a matter of fact, improving foliage, even if modestly, would arguably have far greater impact on one's experience than any of the mentioned DLCs. While I appreciate your humour, and I do, the suggestion of a PC foliage overhaul actually makes sense.

Because you think that the video on E3 conference was not on PC? Lol that's cute. The only video that is high setting we know is the Hands on video. Period. Pax is most likely around this too but it is not certain because damien is not sure about it. Period.

Hey guys, here's a 4k screenshot from Marcin, go wild. www.bit.ly/WildHunt4K

Certainly looks a lot more promising than the PAX footage from the same area.

However the lighting still seem to appear too flat for my liking, like the rest of the later screenshots released.

I usually dislike the effect but I feel some slight bloom would do wonders to give everything a slightly more "hazy/glowy" look. As this game now appears to have too little bloom... Damn, I never thought I would say that.

Last edited:
I think this unnatural look is at least partly due to a dynamic situation cought on a still picture. And regarding the grass, even on the really nice looking screen in 4K the quality of the grass textures is not so great. Overall it all looks fantastic, but the grass not so much if you look closely. IMO.

I think this unnatural look is at least partly due to a dynamic situation cought on a still picture.

Could be. I think it is the lighting. As soon as the sun is completely up and there are no clouds, the contrasts go wild and colors go crazy. Everything get´s a strange plastic feel. I think what this scenes need are a softer renderer. And a toner for the color scale.

I do not understand what is different between grass in two pictures. They look identical. The difference is picture resolution. Look carefully. Same grass and vegetation in same place in both picture.

Now this is funny. If grass is bad in top picture now everybody must say same thing for bottom picture. If grass in bottom picture is good then everybody must admit that they were wrong about grass downgrade.

Its simple, the difference, besides resolution, is in what light is doing to grass.

That makes people think the grass is better or has more detail or whatever, but I've said it many times, the key that makes the grass look at its worse is light.

Hm. I still have my reservations with this one. It´s the same as with the picture from Nowigrad-streets. Somehow everything seems to glow. Strange effect. Not my cup of tea. Strangely enough - I find this to be way too clean. It somehow looks plastic.

That's because it's not an actual screenshot per say. It's more of a doctored up screenshot to make it look like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom