Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End.

Last edited:
To mention that 4K picture. I want to find the CDPR developer who thought it was a good idea to add chromatic aberration in the game and smash him over the head with it.

It wasn't really that noticeable on YT, but it's a very sore point on that picture.

It is not unrealistic to expect them to make the game look as in THEIR OWN FUCKING TRAILERS that they released over a year ago.

Gameplay trailers? Sure, within reason. Promotional CGI trailers? Nu-uh.

To mention that 4K picture. I want to find the CDPR developer who thought it was a good idea to add chromatic aberration in the game and smash him over the head with it.

Oh c'mon. I called BS last time on the CA, this time I'm calling it again.

I've actually got a 4K monitor, so I can actually literally see every single pixel in that screenshot, properly, and I've zoomed in like a madman and observed just about every edge and I can't find any traces of what looks like CA. Perfectly frank, I still don't believe Jjenson in his previous attempt to prove it but even if he is actually correct, I cannot see the same kind of look on the edges of stuff that he used to make the claim last time.

If there is actually CA in The Witcher 3, it's so fucking subtle, like ridiculously so, that it is barely visible, and you would have to have some kind of absurd CA-Vision to actually notice it.

Gameplay trailers? Sure, within reason. Promotional CGI trailers? Nu-uh.

Said trailers were either called gemaply trailers in the tittle or had mentions inside the trailer of it being in-game footage.

So try again.

I'd like to see a single post by any CDPR developer calling those trailers CGI. There is none, in fact there's been multiple interviews by CDPR developers claiming the actual game would look better then that.

So what is it: Either the game will look as good as they claim it will or it won't.

Said trailers were either called gemaply trailers in the tittle or had mentions inside the trailer of it being in-game footage.

So try again.

I'd like to see a single post by any CDPR developer calling those trailers CGI. There is none, in fact there's been multiple interviews by CDPR developers claiming the actual game would look better then that.

So what is it: Either the game will look as good as they claim it will or it won't.

The game still can look like in trailers because it has every god damn same texture. We re seeing for months now the high / console setting. Of course there are thing not activated or less beautiful. I just played again the Witcher 2 and I have some fun with the setting... Damn the differences between high and ultra with uber sampling are so huge !! The game still can reach SoD trailer I am sure of it.

So try again.

K, I'll try again. I did say within reason, did I? Builds change, they evolve. It's kind of part of the development cycle. If they gave us something like the SOD trailer and kept reality hidden until the game was released (Watch Dogs), then you would be right. But, as it is, they are showing us later footage (the very reason this thread exists) and we can form our own opinions from it. At some point expectations do become unreasonable. This is an open world game after all, not a corridor (Crysis) shooter. But, I can agree to disagree. My personal expectations regarding graphical quality are perhaps lower.

@CostinRaz the Sword of Destiny is referred to as CGI on the ftp site. I'd say it's a hybrid of the two types-- SoD was edited heavily (50+ iterations) before it was released and probably had other editing on top of that. Compare the Elder Blood trailer, which was allegedly made in less than a week with significantly less editing.

There's another trailer coming soon, if the Witcher Facebook page is anything to go by, so I'd be interested to hear your (and other's) thoughts on the graphics comparison then.

Sword of Destiny is referred to as CGI on the ftp site. I'd say it's a hybrid of the two types-- SoD was edited heavily (50+ iterations) before it was released and probably had other editing on top of that. Compare the Elder Blood trailer, which was allegedly made in less than a week with significantly less editing.

Every trailer has heavy editing in terms of Sony Vegas/ Adobe or whatever program they are using. It can take a lot of iterating to get just the right times on sound to video but that doesn't mean the video quality is necessarily changed because of it.

To give an example, some time ago I made a fan trailer for TW3. It took me about 2 dozen hours to do it and it involved heavy editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fPvt4jfFs

Then there this older one I made for ME3. Tons of editing there as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U69RITfKPOg

Sword of Destiny being referred to as CGI still doesn't account for the gameplay reveal trailer in 2013 or the VGX trailer nor does it account for CDPR statements that the game would significantly better looking then SoD/VGX.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with textures, that's lack of displacement techniques such as displacement mapping/parallax/bump mapping/whatever.

Not on that grass picture u can clearly see that those textures are pretty dam low compared to the first screens and trailers of the witcher 3, maybe a bit of
anisotropische filtering could fix those low-res textures but i gues not to much.

The only CGI trailers are "Killing Monsters" or "The Trail". The debut, VGX, and SoD are definitely "in engine". They do seem to be a combination of cutscenes and real time. Its possible that CDPR is loading higher quality assets during some scenes, which is something many devs do.

The point about anisotropic filtering is a good one. It may be they have a low value for the recent footage as many consoles games don't go beyond 4X when on PC even the worst ports get 16X capability and if they don't have it then you can always ( and should ) force it through your Nvidia control panel or AMD Catalyst.

Every trailer has heavy editing in terms of Sony Vegas/ Adobe or whatever program they are using. It can take a lot of iterating to get just the right times on sound to video but that doesn't mean the video quality is necessarily changed because of it.

To give an example, some time ago I made a fan trailer for TW3. It took me about 2 dozen hours to do it and it involved heavy editing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6fPvt4jfFs

Then there this older one I made for ME3. Tons of editing there as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U69RITfKPOg

Sword of Destiny being referred to as CGI still doesn't account for the gameplay reveal trailer in 2013 or the VGX trailer nor does it account for CDPR statements that the game would significantly better looking then SoD/VGX.

Great vid ! I think Sod is classified CGI cause it has element of the intro for exemple. The rest is gameplay and I think still achievable.

Hmmm, I never considered AF because usually it's oblique frontal angles but now that I look at the screenie again, the ground portion to Geralt's immediate left with the gravel-ish look is pretty good looking and then elevates and becomes blurry, might be a filtering issue.

This is true, but the heavy editing is something to take note of while making these graphical comparisons. It's possible those older videos also had similar quantities of editing but we just don't know how much. Indeed, knowing this, I do find it interesting that CDPR made such statements -- I suspect they meant something like the settings available may be tweaked to make the game look like those videos minus the editing, if that makes sense. Now, I'll be interested in seeing any comparisons between SoD and the upcoming trailer and what that tells us about the optimisation process through what I think will be a very similar process of editing.

That has nothing to do with textures, that's lack of displacement techniques such as displacement mapping/parallax/bump mapping/whatever.

This is the biggest problem with the game, all textures look flat. I mean this technique isnt hard on hardware and is really old and easy to do(parallax)

This is the biggest problem with the game, all textures look flat. I mean this technique isnt hard on hardware and is really old and easy to do(parallax)

yes but it has downsides. it has trouble interacting with other tiles when texturing, which is especially noticeable when it meets any edge, so it can only really be used on flat surfaces and not near the edge of a surface where the illusion can be broken. it can be used lightly but also has trouble layering, you cant really place a paralax texture over another parallax texture, the blend would look appalling and terrain blend textures all the time, it was in the GDC presentation slides in 2014. that said I think arma 2 used parallax mapping for some textures in its world and it looked ok.

Last edited:
I don't really understand what is saying here... Trailers with a graphic quality that is not shown in the game?

Something like the TW2 EE trailer?

Correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom