Graphic downgrade

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
We also should probably mention that the video is of course not how the game looks in FHD, since it has to be compressed in order to a reasonable size. The actual game in the screen will look way better in terms of resolution. It's an obvious thing, but one worth remembering when we have 4K images to compare with.

Hmm looks like native 1080p on my screen... It's still a 5GB uncompressed video :]

Regardless, I just hope the game doesn't end up looking like the PAX at Ultra, ... this just looks so bad

@wavebend Still, a video is not equal to a game rendering in real-time; and screens taken from a video are not the same as the screens taken in-game. I'm just playing the second game again and recording in the maximum possible quality at the same time, and the quality of the video is definitely lower than what I'm seeing in-game :)

Also, 4K looks like Witcher 2 in 1080p? Please, oh please don't go into hyperbole... It just feels weird at that point. Like I said, I'm just playing the second game on Ultra with Ubersampling, at it looks "ages" apart from that 4K screenshot (save from the vegetation, but that's probably only because of the sheer scale of the third installment). I think everyone remembers the game as better looking than it actually was, because of the nostalgia effect?

Well, I guess it's hard to please some people. At least I'm glad that I'm pleased. Definitely won't feel bad when I'm playing the game.

Note: I'm definitely not trying to attack or discard anyone's opinion; everyone's entitled to theirs of course. It just feels really weird to me :)

Wow, and people call me insane!! HA.
How could anyone in their right mind think, that the game will look as washed out as that blurry ass screen shot?
Yeah, maybe if you have a 480p or 720p TV. Come On.. I don't even think the XB1 version @900p will even look as bad as that crappy pic you just posted. We all saw the video and it looks good ;) lol.... wow..

Last edited:
Hmm looks like native 1080p on my screen... It's still a 5GB uncompressed video :]

Regardless, I just hope the game doesn't end up looking like the PAX at Ultra, ... this just looks so bad

5GB is nothing in terms of size, I don't know much about video editing, but im pretty confident the highest quality capture of 7:28 minutes you could do, would easily surpass 10GB, if not 15 or more. Actually, I'm not even sure if there's a way to capture footage with absolute 0 compression or differences, that is, it looking exactly like the game being played.
The difference is big, it happens with all games, all types of footage, it always looks incomparably better in-engine.

I hope the the game doesnt look like that either, but im doubting, in the 4K screen when light hits foliage you can tell it might end up like the Pax vid, its all about light and how the grass reacts to it, the detail is fine.

How could anyone in their right mind think, that the game will look as washed out as that blurry ass screen shot?
Yeah, maybe if you have a 480p or 720p TV. Come On.. I don't even think the XB1 version @900p will even look as bad as that crappy pic you just posted. We all saw the video and it looks good ;) lol.... wow..

Maybe it'll look worse.

Yeah, maybe if you have a 480p or 720p TV. Come On.. I don't even think the XB1 version @900 p will even look as bad as that crappy pic you just posted. We all saw the video and it looks good ;) lol.... wow..

https://youtu.be/z_342Try_sk?t=7m11s

I merely commented in regards to the post above mine. It had nothing to do with ground textures/resolution.

Woops! Nevermind then :)

All I needed to hear.
Thanks.

Maybe you, or another RED, could expand on the reason(s) for this decision?

Let's posit a possible reason: the game literally isn't ready to show max settings, and they'll be working on the base game to implement features right up to and after release. Prior to TW2 they could be frank with the PC fanbase and say 'they aren't just going to release their baby into the world and ignore it.' With MS and Sony in tow, I don't think they can speak as plainly.

Last edited:
Everything they show is worse than the SoD trailer.

I really don't think that 4K shot was far off, if off at all.

Go back and re-watch SoD, seriously pay attention and pause each "scene", you'll find something iffy on just about every sequence. Whether it's a bad texture, or heavy DOF implementation to take eyes off the LOD.
Compare moments we can compare, like the quality of the house where Geralt slices that guys head off and the Inn Geralt/Vesemir enter in the 15 minutes of gameplay - it's extremely similar in quality. The grass in the 4K shot VS the grass in the scene where Eskel igni's the Wraiths - again, very very similar in quality, if not identical ETC ETC.

I think SoD looked fantastic, amazing even, but I think people just kind of blur their mind to the little details because it's all moving so fast and you're just soaking in the general "amazingness" of the trailer. Whereas when you have a screenshot - you just sit there and stare at it until you notice the flaws, or in the case of the big Gamepaly Demos they get scrutinized and dissected much more than a Trailer ever would, everything is moving much slower and it's raw.

Go back and re-watch SoD, seriously pay attention and pause each "scene", you'll find something iffy on just about every sequence. Whether it's a bad texture, or heavy DOF implementation to take eyes off the LOD.
Compare moments we can compare, like the quality of the house where Geralt slices that guys head off and the Inn Geralt/Vesemir enter in the 15 minutes of gameplay - it's extremely similar in quality. The grass in the 4K shot VS the grass in the scene where Eskel igni's the Wraiths - again, very very similar in quality, if not identical ETC ETC.

I think SoD looked fantastic, amazing even, but I think people just kind of blur their mind to the little details because it's all moving so fast and you're just soaking in the general "amazingness" of the trailer. Whereas when you have a screenshot - you just sit there and stare at it until you notice the flaws, or in the case of the big Gamepaly Demos they get scrutinized and dissected much more than a Trailer ever would, everything is moving much slower and it's raw.

I'm not the type of guy to go through these things with a magnifying glass, I'm just giving my general impressions. There definitely is a huge difference in watching a moving scene and a screenshot.

Last edited:
I see a great vid IMO. I see no serious downgrade and I hope that poster saying the Witcher is a halo clone is joking.:facepalm:

---------- Updated at 01:12 AM ----------

I agree. People are worrying about minor even very minor details.

Let's posit a possible reason: the game literally isn't ready to show max settings, and they'll be working on the base game to implement features right up to and after release. Prior to TW2 they could be frank with the PC fanbase and say 'they aren't just going to release their baby into the world and ignore it.' With MS and Sony in tow, I don't think they can speak as plainly.

They showed max settings to German magazine Gamestar apparently...and they even let them play the game with whatever settings they wanted.

They showed max settings to German magazine Gamestar apparently...and they even let them play the game with whatever settings they wanted.

I thought they told Gamestar they were seeing only High settings, that Ultra was not ready yet. But I think they were being candid, and "you can't switch the game into Ultra" meant "we're not ready for it", not "Microsoft and Sony don't want you to see it". I wouldn't be surprised if they were tuning Ultra settings long into the night before the game goes to gold master.

Last edited:
I thought they told Gamestar they were seeing only High settings, that Ultra was not ready yet. But I think they were being candid, and "you can't switch the game into Ultra" meant "we're not ready for it", not "Microsoft and Sony don't want you to see it".

Didnt Gamestar journalists get 2 full days with Witcher 3? That's what i was reading. So that they could advance into the story and even see Novigrad (the only place they got fps drops with alot of NPCs on screen).

So you think we should be mocked for discussing the downgrade?

Moderator: Nobody should be mocking anybody for any reason. This includes setting up straw men. Stop it now, because posts are going away, and then the banhammers come out.

Last edited:
Didnt Gamestar journalists get 2 full days with Witcher 3? That's what i was reading. So that they could advance into the story and even see Novigrad (the only place they got fps drops with alot of NPCs on screen).

That's a far cry from showing the same build to the public. These guys got privileged access to a WIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom