Graphic Help / Information / Settings Mega Thread.

+
Graphic Help / Information / Settings Mega Thread.

Half the Messages I get are about graphical settings so I figured I would make a mega thread to point everyone to that I can edit and update. This is to help performance.

Common Settings:
Use Full Screen
Turn off Shadow Play (Nvidia Users)
Turn off forced settings. (Unless otherwise stated)
Make sure you have the latest drivers
http://www.geforce.com/drivers
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Double Check user.settings / INI Files:
Game Installed Directory\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini
C:\Users(usernamehere)\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings
Find "TextureMipBias" and change it to "TextureMipBias=0" (If it's not already 0)
NOTE: When you do this and use ultra textures your game will show LOW Textures (THIS IS NOT TRUE DON'T TOUCH THE SLIDER or it will change it back to -1)

If you run nVidia SLI set the max frame rate to unlimited.

Nvidia 970 Config 1.04 (General to cover all cards, though some can handle different settings):
Vsync = On
Max = 60fps
Display = Full Screen
Nvidia Hairworks = Off
Number of Background is high or ultra
Shadow = Low (You won't notice the difference)
Terrain = Ultra
Water = Ultra
Grass = High
Texture = Ultra
Foliage = High
Detail = Ultra
Post Processing = High + HBAO+

Other Setups: (Will update it more later)
Shadows = Low will give you free FPS!
Vsync = Off will give you free FPS!
Hairworks = Off will give you free FPS!

HOW TO:
Limit FPS outside of the game menu values:
Edit your Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings file
LimitFPS=60
to LimitFPS=X (Where X is the FPS)

If you still crashing or stuttering try turning your fan speed to max instead of auto, it might be a overheat problem.
If you are still crashing try underclocking your GPU.

Last edited:
Half the Messages I get are about graphical settings so I figured I would make a mega thread to point everyone to that I can edit and update. This is to help performance.

Common Settings:
Use Full Screen
Turn off Shadow Play (Nvidia Users)
Turn off forced settings. (Unless otherwise stated)
Make sure you have the latest drivers
http://www.geforce.com/drivers
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Double Check INI Files:
Game Installed Directory\The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini
C:\Users(usernamehere)\Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings
Find "TextureMipBias" and change it to "TextureMipBias=0" (If it's not already 0)

If you run nVidia SLI set the max frame rate to unlimited.

Nvidia 970 Config 1.04 (General to cover all cards, though some can handle different settings):
Vsync = On
Max = 60fps
Display = Full Screen
Nvidia Hairworks = Off
Number of Background is high or ultra
Shadow = Low (You won't notice the difference)
Terrain = Ultra
Water = Ultra
Grass = High
Texture = Ultra
Foliage = High
Detail = Ultra
Post Processing = High + HBAO+

Other Setups: (Will update it more later)
Shadows = Low will give you free FPS!
Vsync = Off will give you free FPS!
Hairworks = Off will give you free FPS!

HOW TO:
Limit FPS outside of the game menu values:
Edit your Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings file
LimitFPS=60
to LimitFPS=X (Where X is the FPS)

If you still crashing or stuttering try turning your fan speed to max instead of auto, it might be a overheat problem.:

Just to be clear, its the game not our systems, but thx anyway, i can play for hours with no problem then suddently i get a freeze shorty after that a blackscreen but i can still hear the sound of the game. need to pres a random key on my keybord to terminate the game, if i pres contr alt delete the blackscreen is forced back on, then i need to reset my pc.

For an example i can play heavy based GPU games like gta, or lords of the fallen without those problems, or even 3dmark or metro last light in a infinite benchmark loop no problems really.

My system specs are gtx 980 sli, 4930k, 16gb ram
GPU1 maximum temp of 79-80c
GPU 2 maximum temp of 68-71c

Last edited:
Just to be clear, its the game not our systems, but thx anyway, i can play for hours with no problem then suddently i get a freeze shorty after that a blackscreen but i can still hear the sound of the game. need to pres a random key on my keybord to terminate the game, if i pres contr alt delete the blackscreen is forced back on, then i need to reset my pc.

For an example i can play heavy based GPU games like gta, or lords of the fallen without those problems, or even 3dmark or metro last light in a infinite benchmark loop no problems really.

My system specs are gtx 980 sli, 4930k, 16gb ram
GPU1 maximum temp of 79-80c
GPU 2 maximum temp of 68-71c

It's a little bit of everything than just the game, because how GPU heavy it is. Did you enable unlimited frames for your SLI? this takes away most of the problems, also nVidia already stated that they need to update the SLI profile for witcher 3 and that how witcher and the driver do have sli issues. (They are both working on it)
So it's a little bit of everyone IMO :) They are pushing new limits as we aren't even seeing the max graphics for the game as it is.

The reason i have my magic config is I have a list of about "100+" that's right from the forums and reddit that use my settings on single card setups and have stopped having most of the crashes and issues.

Note: that black screen crash where you still have sound is a display driver crash, if you have a second screen you can pre setup task manager and end witcher 3 and start it right back up in most cases. If both displays crash (seen this mostly in window borderless) then you need to have the keystrokes down or a "pre programmed witcher 3 end task key".

Thanks for checking it out I always appreciate feedback and opinions! If you find out any solid fixes that are for sure with SLI let me know.

about that freeze to desktop with sound still playing in the background:
happend to me every one to two hours with my MSI GTX970 - i reset my GPU overclock to default (no overclock) and it never happend to me again in 30hours gametime
so im quite sure its your overclock (it was for me)

@OP
your settings are way too low for a GTX970!
i play everything on ULTRA with hairworks on - have 55fps AVG and 40 lowest
almost no pop-in (it happens from time to time in villages and towns but is almost not noticable)

Hello, I've been noticing that GTX 970 users are having problems with crashes, i am one of them.

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Seems to be a common problem with allot of users on different forums, this crash is usually a CTD.
It can be viewed in the event viewer.
It happened very often, usually when starting the game up with the 352 drivers, i rolled back to the 350 drivers and this has made the crash almost non exisitant, almost.

The Nvidia forums point towards it being a hardware issue and faulty cards with heavy OC's and don't dare to mention that it is a driver issue.
Of the users reporting this problem, it seems that most of them are using the factory OC cards, Gigabyte G1, Asus strix, evga OC etc.
Call me cynical but surely not all these similar cards can be faulty?

I was reading that the 347 drivers before it did not have an issue like this so i may roll back to them (i got my gpu when the 350 drivers rolled out)

For me this only happens when my GPU hits 100% usage?
Most of the time, in fact all of the time my GPU stays at 99%.

My game is running at about 50fps. My card is at 63 degrees under full load. My PSU is fine with the correct voltage/wattage for the card, i've tested it with my older card which draws the same power overall. No problem.

The only other time ive had this nvlddmkm issue is with the 352 drivers and it was when i opened up google chome, this is something other users have reported.

What i don't like about this nvlddmkm is nvidia would point this towards damaged hardware and that bothers me, i don't want to go through the hassle of returning my GPU, especially when so many users are having similar issues to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what i've just said. :)

Hello, I've been noticing that GTX 970 users are having problems with crashes, i am one of them.

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Seems to be a common problem with allot of users on different forums, this crash is usually a CTD.
It can be viewed in the event viewer.
It happened very often, usually when starting the game up with the 352 drivers, i rolled back to the 350 drivers and this has made the crash almost non exisitant, almost.

The Nvidia forums point towards it being a hardware issue and faulty cards with heavy OC's and don't dare to mention that it is a driver issue.
Of the users reporting this problem, it seems that most of them are using the factory OC cards, Gigabyte G1, Asus strix, evga OC etc.
Call me cynical but surely not all these similar cards can be faulty?

I was reading that the 347 drivers before it did not have an issue like this so i may roll back to them (i got my gpu when the 350 drivers rolled out)

For me this only happens when my GPU hits 100% usage?
Most of the time, in fact all of the time my GPU stays at 99%.

My game is running at about 50fps. My card is at 63 degrees under full load. My PSU is fine with the correct voltage/wattage for the card, i've tested it with my older card which draws the same power overall. No problem.

The only other time ive had this nvlddmkm issue is with the 352 drivers and it was when i opened up google chome, this is something other users have reported.

What i don't like about this nvlddmkm is nvidia would point this towards damaged hardware and that bothers me, i don't want to go through the hassle of returning my GPU, especially when so many users are having similar issues to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what i've just said. :)

It IS nVidia, because the crash happens when their cards hit 100% GPU% or Voltage, the game doesn't tell the cards what to do when they reach that threshold the driver / firmware does. They are apparently rushing out another driver, though who knows when, to fix the problem (or so we are told).

What my config I post does is keep the processing under the threshold so you don't run into that crash most of the time. Not saying if you're playing and you get 12 monsters around or something extreme where a TON is thrown at the card it won't crash but it makes the game playable 90-99% of the time.

You can up your limits with higher settings if you're experienced but doing so voids the warranty and can cause other problems as those limits are set by the manufacture / nvidia for a reason.

The older drivers are more stable but also offer lower performance so it's give and take.

IMO unless you are OCing your heating your card up to high temps and it works great in other games I doubt the hardware is damaged. From day 1 the 970 has been nothing but problems and untrue specs, doesn't mean it's a waste of money, just means when the card is fully utilized like now, nVidia has a lot of making up to do.

From day 1 the 970 has been nothing but problems and untrue specs, doesn't mean it's a waste of money, just means when the card is fully utilized like now, nVidia has a lot of making up to do.

Starting to agree with this. I recently upgraded to a 970 and have had all of the same problems everyone is talking about. My last card was a 760 and it couldn't handle the higher textures, but it also didn't crash. Are 970's this bad with other games?

Last edited:
[Q]From day 1 the 970 has been nothing but problems and untrue specs, doesn't mean it's a waste of money, just means when the card is fully utilized like now, nVidia has a lot of making up to do. [/Q]

Starting to agree with this. I recently upgraded to a 970 and have had all of the same problems everyone is talking about. My last card was a 760 and it couldn't handle the higher textures, but it also didn't crash. Are these 970's as bad with other games?

Personally I have had issues with it in CS:GO yea a game like 4 years old but when I run it on my 280x I don't have any issues. It's only with the newest drivers too, what shocks me so much is nvidia is trying to get into the car business (huds, car computers, self driving, etc) because they say they have a handle and are way ahead in the video card market. If this is going to be how they do updates I'll never have them in my car haha. I am not a hatter of nVidia as without them and AMD equally we wouldn't have video cards so powerful but when a new card with new firmware comes out every 3 months instead of once a year with updates I feel like it's becoming about profits and not a quality experience.

Top Bottom