Graphical Options Explanation

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok i will ask the ultimate noob question. Can someone please list the current complete list of "AA" options and explain them to me? It's honestly getting out of hand with all the "MSSA..SFAA..OMFGAA...FFSTT...ATSAF...$#@%!SS". I know some make it blurry....others make it sharper...some consume a lot of resources while others don't etc...but a clear list of what does what i haven't seen.

It would be a help not only for me but for anyone trying to figure out the best options for their game/rig considering the result+resources consumed.

Something like "MSAA = + sharp - blur. Balanced consumption of resources." "TSAA = not a big impact but mostly free" or something like that.

Thank you ^.^

Last edited:
Ok i will ask the ultimate noob question. Can someone please list the current complete list of "AA" options and explain them to me? It's honestly getting out of hand with all the "MSSA..SFAA..OMFGAA...FFSTT...ATSAF...$#@%!SS". I know some make it blurry....others make it sharper...some consume a lot of resources while others don't etc...but a clear list of what does what i haven't seen.

It would be a help not only for me but for anyone trying to figure out the best options for their game/rig considering the result+resources consumed.

Thank you ^.^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDo5TKr6pyc

There you go, checked it out a long time ago, but it should suit you I think, from what I remember^^

TAA/TSAA causes Blurry trailing imprinting visual bugs.

You can turn off TAA easily .
But the game will look a jagged mess.
Just make text note file , rename it user.ini Paste inside the note this:

[Developer/FeatureToggles]
Antialiasing = false

Then save the file. Put the file at the End of this similar path. In that "pc" folder::

"F:\GOG Galaxy\Games\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc\user.ini"

When you restart the game; turn the game off. Then turn it back on. TAA will be off, the ghosting issue will be removed. But the problem will be jaggy ps1 level graphics. To turn it back on you can just write = true into that file. turn off the game. turn it back on.

So Contrarily to belief DLSS does Not cause the ghosting imprint issue. Nor boosting illumination effects. It can exacerbate the problem; But it's Not the cause.
The problem is specific to TAA or TSAA ( Specific type of Antialiasing. Temporal AA ). It happens every game that uses it. Its one of those trade offs to remove jagged edges. But then you get ghosting imprints on moving objects or view. Other games like Star Citizen and Apex Ledges have the same problem both use TAA.

TAA works by comparing and down sampling moving images , to previous frames in buffer or engine.

Because these images do not keep up in real time with other information it tries to anti alias, like shadows and lighting and color around object edges. So the lag with that information ; causes TAA ghosting.

Sometimes developers will apply a mask to that information so it tapers out that trailing imprinted blurs behind objects. I doubt that was implemented or not well with TAA in CP77.

There needs to be masking options or level options of TAA where its not as bad.
This is less prevalent on the RTX 3090 i think.

But on older graphics cards its worse.
There is no known work around besides turning it off in dev ini file .
but then you get jagged edges in game like a ps1 game, and it don't look good either. Developers probably dont notice this much; my guess because maybe they are playing on super fast cards and cpu. so this is not as noticeable under those conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom