Graphics and Audio Thread

+
I think we need to change a lot of minium requirement seen i upload this video about my graphic can play quite perfect

Many new games have over-estimated minimum requirements, especially when it comes to Intel CPUs. Not sure why. Maybe the developers expect future updates to make the game more demanding, or they just do not care ? For example, The Witcher 3 is said to require either a Core i5 2500 or a Phenom II X4 940, but the former is at least 70% faster, and the game can in fact run fine on a Core i3 2105, which is closer in performance to the Phenom. And I have seen similarly exaggerated requirements for other games as well.

Please, upgrade the texture of the walls, stones and other environment objects. Beсause it's f*****g shame, guys :hurt:

I agree. Most games get texture upgrades either by way of DLC or platform-specific updates. This is sorely needed for Witcher 3 because some of the rock texture and others are simply terrible.

1 month before release

In game, Texure quality and Terrain detail set at Ultra

I don't know what to say and I don't know what happened here. I just hope CDPR will eventually upgrade the graphics and fix this.

1 month before release

In game, Texure quality and Terrain detail set at Ultra

I don't know what to say and I don't know what happened here. I just hope CDPR will eventually upgrade the graphics and fix this.

I believed you at first but then I booted up my own game and look.

Whatever settings you are using, it is not ultra (Or CDPR fixed this since you took those screenshots).

I believed you at first but then I booted up my own game and look.

Whatever settings you are using, it is not ultra (Or CDPR fixed this since you took those screenshots).

So did they fix it? Because the second screenshot is mine, I took it from my steam profile.
And I always played with everything at ultra and only vegetation settings to low.

I have to check this out.

So did they fix it? Because the second screenshot is mine, I took it from my steam profile.

Compare my screenshot with the one you provided from the pre-release gameplay trailer (your first screenshot) and judge for yourself. :)

Edit:

That is not what that wall looks like either. (That is from the January gameplay trailer)

This is what it actually looks like

Actual graphical problems that need addressing is for example the poor LOD on buildings and NPCs and fireplaces like these...

when flames in other areas are in much higher quality like this.

Also the absence of the alternate Aard water effect in shallow water that was there before patch 1.08.

Shallow water

Deeper water

And finally the countless of extremely low quality rocks like in the image below

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

As far as graphics go, my main issues are with scalability:
-What happened to engine level mesh LOD controls? Why can't we manipulate LOD bias or enforce LOD level all across the board?
-"Cube" shadows are not working correctly with resolutions above 512x512 - oh.come.on
-I surely hope SSAA is going to be added (eventually).

VXAO in Witcher 3 - pretty please?

Hello!

I'm no programmer, and so I have no idea how difficult it is to integrate such a thing into a game, but considering the game already uses Nvidia's Gameworks library, should it not be easier to just update to this newer version of the library?

In the new Tomb Raider game, it makes a huge difference when going from HBAO+ to VXAO.

Thank you!

I'd like to have a Depth of Field slider,the default value on the game's setting is too low for my taste and i'd like to have the option of scaling

Hello!

I'm no programmer, and so I have no idea how difficult it is to integrate such a thing into a game, but considering the game already uses Nvidia's Gameworks library, should it not be easier to just update to this newer version of the library?

In the new Tomb Raider game, it makes a huge difference when going from HBAO+ to VXAO.

Thank you!

I am extremely impressed by how Crystal Dynamics have taken care of the PC version Rise of the Tomb Raider and I wish CDPR would take note.

VXAO should be a low priority though I think. Yes it is superior to HBAO+ when it comes to visual quality but it does not make a huge visual difference but there is a massive performance drop when it's enabled.

I rather see them giving us a toggle to turn on all the ripped out advanced geometry (parallax mapping) on buildings and structures and giving us options to push particle effects and level of horizon detail way further than what is currently allowed.

I am extremely impressed by how Crystal Dynamics have taken care of the PC version Rise of the Tomb Raider and I wish CDPR would take note.

VXAO should be a low priority though I think. Yes it is superior to HBAO+ when it comes to visual quality but it does not make a huge visual difference but there is a massive performance drop when it's enabled.

I rather see them giving us a toggle to turn on all the ripped out advanced geometry (parallax mapping) on buildings and structures and giving us options to push particle effects and level of horizon detail way further than what is currently allowed.

I do agree with you!

What do you think, what are the chances of seeing any kind of noticeable upgrade / option of the sorts you mentioned here by the time Blood & Wine comes out?

I fear, because it seems like all three versions of the game (PC, PS4, X1) are being normalized to the same graphics standard (well, LOD and draw distance), that this is improbable to happen. Then again, it would not be impossible for cdpr_red to do an 180 on this front and separate/distinguish the PC codebase a bit more from the console versions...

I do agree with you!

What do you think, what are the chances of seeing any kind of noticeable upgrade / option of the sorts you mentioned here by the time Blood & Wine comes out?

Blood & Wine will probably have better graphics than the main game did. (Just like HoS). Have you asked me a few years ago I would had said for certain that further visual improvements would definitely be added later across the whole game (i.e. with an Enhanced Edition).

Now however I see this as highly unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Blood & Wine will probably have better graphics than the main game did. (Just like HoS). Have you asked me a few years ago I would had said for certain that further visual improvements would definitely be added later across the whole game (i.e. with an Enhanced Edition).

Now however I see this as highly unlikely, but I'm not giving up hope just yet.

Yeah. Once again, there is truth in your words.

I also think that splitting the game into 2 separate codebases at this point in time is highly unlikely at best. I just thought that, perhaps, while they are advancing the engine for Cyberpunk, perhaps they can also integrate some of that stuff into TW3? Or better yet - it's not like they would be creating new effects and such from scratch, as quite a bit of such advanced effects were in the game code like 2 years before release (I mean from the youtube vid called "E3 Witcher 3 Nvidia Effects"). If they already were part of the game's code, how hard can it be to put them back into the PC version - for high-end hardware?

First of all hi to everyone, I'm new here :) and sorry for my bad english (I'm italian)

...probably I come too late, but these are my suggestions:

-to start a "real" antialiasing filter, like SSAA that is compatible with any engine (basically SSAA is a downsampling...). I know, it's heavy in terms of performance but no one force you to turn it on...just a great plus for those that have high end machines. Shader AA not work so well for me, and I still see a lot of aliasing, specially in the wooden bridges :/

-better water rendering: looks like oil/gel right now, not like water at all...onestly it's one of the worst water rendering I've seen in years, specially at night :/ (please, please not offence CDP!)

-a"foggy rain"effect like TW1&2. I really miss this effect, it was very...atmospheric :p

- better lod in terms of shadow and texture detail distance, I'm tired to see fine detail (in the wall for example) and shadow suddenly come up when i walk, specially in the cities

Last edited:
An option to enable shadows for all light sources (not just sun, moon and Geralt´s torch) and to add water-reflections for all moving objects, not just the boat during sail mode. Since both features are already partly in the game, it shouldn´t be too hard to give us these options for high-end systems. Sorry if somebody already mentioned these two features. Thank you for your hard work on this masterpiece.

Guest 2364765

An option to enable shadows for all light sources (not just sun, moon and Geralt´s torch) and to add water-reflections for all moving objects, not just the boat during sail mode. Since both features are already partly in the game, it shouldn´t be too hard to give us these options for high-end systems. Sorry if somebody already mentioned these two features. Thank you for your hard work on this masterpiece.
Both yes and no. It's possible with mods as you could just add appropriate component to existing light entity blueprints, however it's not as easy or light as you may imagine.

By default cube lights (casted 360 degrees around source) have 512x512 resolution and simply break (or rather start deforming) if set to higher resolutions.
I'm not sure whether engine has limit for cube shadows rendered at the same time but i can pretty much guarantee that more than 4 or 5 at once will start dragging down most of the "enthusiast grade" cards on the market.

And if you really wanted to do that for all of the light sources in the visible space...well good luck with that.

Both yes and no. It's possible with mods as you could just add appropriate component to existing light entity blueprints, however it's not as easy or light as you may imagine.

By default cube lights (casted 360 degrees around source) have 512x512 resolution and simply break (or rather start deforming) if set to higher resolutions.
I'm not sure whether engine has limit for cube shadows rendered at the same time but i can pretty much guarantee that more than 4 or 5 at once will start dragging down most of the "enthusiast grade" cards on the market.

And if you really wanted to do that for all of the light sources in the visible space...well good luck with that.

Yeah, but it should be doable and I'm sure some GPUs are or will be able to keep it playable with multiple shadow casting light sources.

Another thing i noticed is that Geralt's horse doesn't leave hoofprints in the snow. I know that adding them for every species in the game would be alot of work, but atleast horses and humans should have them, for the sake of immersion.

Top Bottom