Graphics bu- feature!

+
Graphics bu- feature!

I boot up my new copy of Witcher 2. Check graphical settings. Set to low. "What a weird default" I thought to myself. I press autodetect. Low settings. I scoff. The game clearly underestimates the power of my shrine. This battlestation was built to withstand anything! But a small voice in the back of my head thinks that maybe the game is trying to tell me something. So I change settings to high instead of ultra high. Launch game. Start tutorial. Sweet mother of god, it is beautiful. The most gorgeous game I have ever seen. The frame rate is dropping slightly so I concede and turn it back to medium. The game is still sooo amazing. I want it inside me. CD projekt red is love. CD projekt red is life.

On my system the tutorial didn't run as smooth as the actual game for some reason. Maybe you should see if high is ok when you finish the tutorial and you start the prologue.

I boot up my new copy of Witcher 2. Check graphical settings. Set to low. "What a weird default" I thought to myself. I press autodetect. Low settings. I scoff. The game clearly underestimates the power of my shrine. This battlestation was built to withstand anything! But a small voice in the back of my head thinks that maybe the game is trying to tell me something. So I change settings to high instead of ultra high. Launch game. Start tutorial. Sweet mother of god, it is beautiful. The most gorgeous game I have ever seen. The frame rate is dropping slightly so I concede and turn it back to medium. The game is still sooo amazing. I want it inside me. CD projekt red is love. CD projekt red is life.

What are your GPU and CPU? If you tell us this, we can say whether you should normally be able to run on medium or on high (or maybe even on ultra without ubersampling).

What are your GPU and CPU? If you tell us this, we can say whether you should normally be able to run on medium or on high (or maybe even on ultra without ubersampling).

64 bit processor: Intel i7-2600k @3.4 ghz

8 gigs of ram

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Last edited:
On my system the tutorial didn't run as smooth as the actual game for some reason. Maybe you should see if high is ok when you finish the tutorial and you start the prologue.

Even on medium some of Geralt's walking animations are a bit jumpy. But his hair still flows in the wind, so that's nice.

64 bit processor: Intel i7-2600k @3.4 ghz

8 gigs of ram

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Your graphics card is the weak point. The level of performance you describe is to be expected with this card, as far as I understand. For instance, here they got 37 fps on that card with low settings at 1440x900. With medium settings at this resolution you can expect ~30 fps, which is playable but not very fluid.

Try lowering the resolution and see if it helps. Or you can also think about upgrading the graphics card ;) (I or some other people on this forum can give you advice on that, if you so decide).

Last edited:
The workhorse by the time of release of The Witcher 2 was the Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (which I still have), roughly 2 to 3 times as fast as a Radeon 6670. A GTX 560 Ti is enough for a great quality/performance ratio. It even manages Ultra (or mostly Ultra) minus Übersampling with a satisfying framerate.

OP: If you plan on even starting TW3, you should consider upgrading. But I'd wait until system requirements are announced. Right now simply set everything to Low and use a lower resolution. TW2 (Red Engine) is especially sensitive to the amount of pixels on screen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust these auto-detect settings by the way, on my previous PC with an ATI card it always set it to low yet it could run everything on high just fine :huh:.

Top Bottom