Graphics, not that impressive

+
Witcher wild hunt looks beautiful still, this game is not leaps ahead of it in graphics by any means.
I can play the Witcher on the highest settings with never dropping bellow 60fps.
This game runs super rough on my RTX 2070, can't use RT, but for Lighting (only) medium, Nothing else and nothing higher.
I've tweaked and have spent over 30 hours now tweaking and searching for performance boosts and nothing.
Post automatically merged:

GeForce experience auto optimizes for me and it makes it unplayable at low fps with shuttering.
I've set my gaming laptop to balance/ performance etc.
Now I've tweaked the settings through the GPU settings for this game specifically and no luck, even have Ultra on for latency, you name it and I've done it.
40 to 60 fps but anything bellow 60 fps gets really shuttered even with vsync on through the settings on my GPU not in game, though I've tried it all.
Post automatically merged:

Gaming laptop specs
Acer Predator Triton 240Hz.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16216MB RAM
Page File: 6997MB used, 14337MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (240Hz)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Plays this game like shit!

Last edited:
I'm running the game at max@1440p (also max ray tracing). I was actually expecting better graphics from this game. I feel like the graphic is ten years old with as much ray tracing as possible on top. Not at all next gen. Of course some scenes looks really nice, especially indoor scenes. Also the main characters looks very good. But when walking around in the city I think much of the environment looks very "square" and boring. Once you start looking at details there are not many round corners.
Also the animations are very stiff and the character facial animations are not very good. If you take away the ray tracing it looks like its made for PS4 and Xbox One (and other seven year old hardware), and it can't even run on that.

I hope future updates can make this game look better on the new generation of consoles and PC. Have attached some screenshots of what i think is bad
and boring graphics.

This occurred to me on a couple occasions in the game too, areas that do look kind of 'flat' or 'boxy'... a couple times I felt like I was walking down a hallway in half-life where the bump maps just didn't seem to help give much dimension to textures on the walls, floors, etc. But that's more of a geometry/texture thing, not so much an engine thing. There are so many areas that are just breathtaking, and that has more to do with the lighting, ray-tracing, fog, particles, etc. all of which are noticeably better than most games. It's not by leaps and bounds, but certainly advanced enough to make me go "wow" a lot, and I've collected more screenshots in my first 20 hours of this game than in just about any other. It's a pretty sizeable world, so I understand why they cut some corners in the city "filler" geometry and props and outdoor areas... but as you mention a lot of the indoor stuff looks incredible (whether immaculate penthouse or apartment trashed by a bomb) and that's clearly where they paid more attention to detail. That said, I'd definitely like to see more of the environment destructible… I think it would add considerably to the realism and ambiance.

Très bien sur ps4 pro seul souci les crashs je ne regrette absolument pas l'avoir acheter (erreur humaine une faute avoué de moitié pardonner), plus le souci du covid 19.

se qui se plaigne c'est des personnes qui joue vite sans comprendre le sens d'un jeux qui triche et qui passe à autres chose 48 heures après

Je dit chapeau aux producteurs et merci d'avance pour les patch rapide à venir pour retirer les crashs merci beaucoup

There are so many areas that are just breathtaking, and that has more to do with the lighting, ray-tracing, fog, particles, etc. all of which are noticeably better than most games. It's not by leaps and bounds, but certainly advanced enough to make me go "wow" a lot, and I've collected more screenshots in my first 20 hours of this game than in just about any other.

I mentioned this as well in another topic about the graphics here. I just wonder how many folks really slowed down and took in that first big look at the city when they first walked out of their apartment. When i walked down those entrance stairs...the first thing i did was look up and soaked in the vastness of those tall buildings in front of me, the traffic, and all the people in between. I have a ton of screenies...mostly of city shots at night.

im still being impressed where ever i go. All of those fuzzy small areas around that youve described are completely drowned out by the rest of rich detail thats surrounding it. Most of the time i just dont notice it anymore. Other times ill stop, look, and say to myself..."hmm thats off" with a smile and move on.

DLSS to Quality/off, Film Grain and Chromatic Abberation off.

I have an RTX 2080 Super, so I can't quite max the game out with RTX, but it still looks better than pretty much any game i've played(Not counting Miles Morales). The only comparison I can make to this level of quality in a PC game is RE2, and maybe DMC5, and both of those run on the RE Engine, and neither of those had RayTracing or Physically Based Rendering.

I'm running the game at max@1440p (also max ray tracing). I was actually expecting better graphics from this game. I feel like the graphic is ten years old with as much ray tracing as possible on top. Not at all next gen. Of course some scenes looks really nice, especially indoor scenes. Also the main characters looks very good. But when walking around in the city I think much of the environment looks very "square" and boring. Once you start looking at details there are not many round corners.
Also the animations are very stiff and the character facial animations are not very good. If you take away the ray tracing it looks like its made for PS4 and Xbox One (and other seven year old hardware), and it can't even run on that.

I hope future updates can make this game look better on the new generation of consoles and PC. Have attached some screenshots of what i think is bad
and boring graphics.
So you expect your PS4 system to runs a Open World game with Graphics can compare to the best graphics like The Last of Us? Okay?

the character facial animations are not very good

Whaaaat? The facial animations are amazing in this! Like when you first talk to Jackie in Lizzie's Bar as a corpo, his expressions and body language are so subtle and nuanced, like the bit where he puffs his mouth, or the bit where his eyes briefly glance towards the ceiling as you're explaining things to him. There are so many little details like that throughout the game. One of my favs is when Judy tucks her lip in contemplation when she says you should keep EV's cigarette case - it was SO natural.

EDIT: That being said, most of the facial expression in photomode are absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Whaaaat? The facial animations are amazing in this! Like when you first talk to Jackie in Lizzie's Bar as a corpo, his expressions and body language are so subtle and nuanced, like the bit where he puffs his mouth, or the bit where his eyes briefly glance towards the ceiling as you're explaining things to him. There are so many little details like that throughout the game. One of my favs is when Judy tucks her lip in contemplation when she says you should keep EV's cigarette case - it was SO natural.

EDIT: That being said, most of the facial expression in photomode are absolutely terrible.
I Agree, for me it's the best i have ever see. T-Bug moving on the couch or Jackie's nervous leg shaking... So well done.
(I don't take into account the games or they are cutscenes :D)
And the french version is awesome. It's rather rare... it may seem weird for the English-speaker but they did a great job. (if you had played RDR2 in "subtitle mode" only, you would know what I mean)

Last edited:
To be honest I'm not impressed by the level design and by how uneven the game is visually.
Some objects are so detailed that you almost can't see the polygons. And some are so blocky that only thanks to imagination you can guess what you're looking at. Same with textures. You have a perfectly detailed texture of a street light next to a smudged out texture of a building or vending machine. All the rubbish in the side alleys or items on vendors stalls are often extremely low-polygon with terrible textures. The shading and lighting often makes things even worse as small objects often have very bad light maps and reflections on them are composed of singular pixels.
The fact that a lot of objects is levitating or clipping through one another doesn't help either.

Another matter is level design itself. Some areas are extremely rich in detail (of varried quality but still) and some are so washed out of any personality that they look unfinished at best and like someone was playing in level editor at worst. Also the buildings tend to have no foundations and are growing straight from the pavement or the ground itself. Some buildings are clipping through the walls of other buildings or roads.

Then there is this entire crowds and traffic business. It looks terrible, fake and broken. Sometimes when I'm lucky I come across fully populated street with lots of people walking by, with lots of cars on the street. And sometimes I end up in a place so desolate that it just makes no sense in a city that is supposed to be overpopulated.

But when walking around in the city I think much of the environment looks very "square" and boring. Once you start looking at details there are not many round corners.

It look a bit "square" because most of 3d models of buildings, cars and in general, have low-poly counts (except for the NPC that have good 3D models), that's because the city is so "dense" and complex that you already have tons o stuff on screen (plus many lgiht/shadow sources...) that is enough to make your gpu cry blood...if each model had had a higher poly count the game would have been even more demanding in terms of hardware requirements than already is ...that's the reason that explain why even the best AAA open world game will never have the best absolute graphics compared to a "small" AAA game in the same generation. Of course, if you have a world almost "empty" like, dunno, death stranding, then you can also have a great graphics impact, but even this way is a compromise....

Last edited:
Cyberpunk is only out matched in graphics by one other IMO, and that is star citizen. Cyberpunk is beautifully stunning in every aspect, over 600hrs in and I still have to pick my jaw up off the ground.

baseline graphics are good the problem is resolution

neither 1080 nor 1440p is enough for this game. even at native 1440p, the image will still look blurred and less defined.

you need to run the game at native 4k, then you will understand the game actally looks good, but all those details are lost to TAA.

theres currently no hardware can do native 4k+ray tracing. 4k+dlss still renders at 1440p, which is a blurry res itself

the reason it looks worse to you is the same reason it looks worse to me. the game does not look sharp. launch up the gta 5. it's sharp as hell. same for pre-2017 games. they all look crisp, sharp and nice.

new generation of games requires the use of TAA (reasons are debatable). this particular anti aliasing technique practically downgrades the image quality to near half of resolution

if you're at 1080p, image quality is actually 540p
if you're at 1440p, imager quality is actually 720p
if youre at 4k, image quality is actually 1080p

only at native 4k you get "crisp" "how it should look like" levels of graphics.

you can observe what I said in RDR 2. go launch the game up. run the game at 1080p. game will look like 540p. shut down the TAA. game magically looks like it's rendered with 2x resolution scale, or 4k.

now turn on TAA again, put 2x scale. voila, same image with taa off at native 1080p. but with simmers, jaggiers, and glitches due to TAA being not present to fix those.

it's the TAA that destroys fidelity in currentgen games. and it only caters to the TV folks. only a minority of them are able to notice these issues, hence the developers are now rampant in the usage of TAA.

as i said, try turning of ray tracing, use DSR to upscale to 4k. you will know what I mean. game does not look what it's supposed to look like at native resolutions. it simply doesn't. it can't. due to TAA. TAA practically removes half the pixel detail to remove the aliasing and fix shimmers/jaggies. it is completely tied to the game engine. it is there to prevent engine's flaws. TAA encourages developers to make more half assed game engines.

Last edited:
TAA is not there to prevent engine's flaws, but to allow smoothing out noise by accumulating samples across many frames. Current generation of raytracing-capable hardware barely manages to shoot one sample per pixel when tracing: without TAA the results would be unacceptably noisy. Until hardware (or better sampling techniques) makes higher sampling viable, TAA is the only way to produce visually pleasing results when using more advanced shading as in this case. Incidentally, that is also the reason it can't be removed, as it's so central to how the whole scene is rendered.

Hmm. I walked into the game and was so taken aback by how photographic it looked that I just wandered around for an hour staring at everything. I'm not sure what the OP is expecting but I'm thinking the expectations aren't very realistic.

As for rounded corners, that's an aesthetic choice on what the architecture should look like. It looks like a scuzzed up city of the future that was built with a look that would be futuristic when seen from the 1970s. You may not like the architectural style but it makes perfect sense within the vibe of the world the developers have created (see for a very extreme example of that sensibility eg the art for Jodorowsky’s unmade version of Dune, or the Pompidou Centre). I mean, they have a style called neo-kitsch, for God's sake.

Last edited:
@ TO:
I have some small remarks and questions.

First and foremost, what then would you call impressive and for what reason specifically would you think so.
Because its a rather subjective statement you make with no true bar of measurement on what you'd expect as 'on par'.

Second, I cant help but notice you say that you just put all settings in the game to max, but no info whatsoever regarding your machines capabilities. Usually these are linked, something with display versus effort required to achieve said display, or failure thereoff (paraphrasing it)

In short: I'm sceptical to say the least with regards to your statement.

I got the same impression overall when I played the game. That's why I uninstalled until they patch it up further...well that and the many optimization issues. It shouldn't perform as badly as it does for how it looks. Some places in-game look a lot better than others though. Particularly indoor scenes that are part of the story. You can tell they put a lot more attention to detail into those scenes. They were probably higher priority. The outdoors are kind of bland though. NPCs look bland too when you examine them up close. Particularly in skin/texture quality. Textures are stuff I figure will be fixed by modders down the road.

I just need these devs to fix all the damn bugs, engine optimization issues, the excessive amount of broken perks, and the schematics in shops disappearing. Then I can come back and finally play the game all the way through.

OK, I think I figured out why the game looks so blocky and low detail all the time: it's the LOD distance!

When you are close to an object or a building, it loads all the details and it looks quite nice and all. But walk away a few metres and it will immediately lose all the details. The problem is, the game doesn't recognise that you're zooming in on an object far away and won't load all the details necessary for it to look good again. So everything in the distance, the buildings, the cars, the debris and trash on the streets- they all look terrible, blocky, with lowest possible textures. That causes the game to look bad overall. Maybe we could use some additional slider that would enable us to adjust the level of details loading distance? I'd gladly sacrifice a few frames for that.

Top Bottom