Graphics upgrades beyond B&W

+
either you weren't there during the pre release or you dont see the difference ( wich is fine i wish too i wouldnt be able ) because this is what peoples expected when CDPR sold us the game :

everything else aside, even assets, the lighting is nowhere near as good as in the demos, peoples are not randomly calling out the game lighting out of their mind, changes happened and the game came out not looking how it was supposed to, that being said the game is still plenty beautiful and saying its ugly or whatever is dishonest, BUT its still not what they promised, no matter how you turn it upside down, even with the new expansion, wich am sure i will be enjoying

Blame it on consoles.

Regardless, it's still the most beautiful game in history.

I just wish for a new LOD slider. In the new Dev Diary about BnW, every shot with the castle in view is a blocky mess. Even the shots near the town have unshadowed houses.

The main game NEEDS graphical enhancements, and whatever engine enhancements they made for B&W, should also be rolled into the main game.. As beautiful as the Witcher 3 is (thanks mainly to it's art direction), the graphical quality is extremely poor in certain areas.

The lighting being one of the worst things about the main game (was improved for B&W), along with the water and the sky box. The water is perhaps the worst looking water I've ever seen in a big production game. It's far too opaque, and it behaves more like gel than water. Whether B&W did any improvements to the water remains to be seen.

The sky box on the other hand was definitely improved for B&W, and the game looks much better for it. The resolution looks much higher to me, and there are possibly some semi volumetric clouds that were touted in the NVidia tech video for Red Engine 3 but were cut from the retail release.

Foliage variation was again improved for B&W, as well as overall texture detail. I really wish these improvements would also come to the main game. Such an imbalance needs to be corrected!

---------- Updated at 09:48 PM ----------

I just wish for a new LOD slider. In the new Dev Diary about BnW, every shot with the castle in view is a blocky mess. Even the shots near the town have unshadowed houses.

LoD is determined by Umbra 3 tech and not really the engine. That's why the PC uses the same LoD in regards to buildings and other man made structures as the consoles. This was likely done to save time and resources, but in the end, you have high end PCs with the same LoD as the consoles which correspond to low end hardware and that to me is unacceptable.

the problem is the blue fog that hides everything around geralt, it hides the landscape, buildings, everything, what's the point of a hidden open world?
and the orange-yellow tint/filter, why?

Oh.. man I thought I heard/read that B&W DOES have a new lighting system.. oh well..

The lighting has definitely been improved. It says it right there in the article:

You shouldn't see anything that looks similar in Toussaint to in the base Witcher 3 game. All the vegetation and architecture in this whimsical land (that's bigger than Skellige) are different, even the props and lighting. And if something has been reused it should be so heavily masked you don't notice.

So it's definitely not the same as the main game and looks better..

Sorry.. but do we know if this graphics/lighting upgrade carrys over to the consoles, ps4 digital version for example?

Dont you guys use Asmodean's lighting mod/fix/patch? I personally still change the color of the lights, but Asmodeans mod does trick for subtle improvements. I have no reason to complain using this.

Just use the mod and see if you stop complaining :p

EDIT: See my recent screenshots.. don't worry about my realistic look for a sec.. what you're seeing there is 30% Asmodeans mod, 30% reshade and of course the original. :p I don't personally expect the quality of the lighting to be any more improved than in the first 2 shots. In my mind the only thing they could do is change the colors to actually be actually realistic, or the closest that would match the lesser quality speed trees... buildings seem alright.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...screenshots!?p=2245130&viewfull=1#post2245130

Its just another environment definition?

Anyhoo :p Yeah i think asmodean's mod pushes the overall lighting to the right places.

Last edited:
The lighting has definitely been improved. It says it right there in the article:

So it's definitely not the same as the main game and looks better..

its definitely the same lighting system as vanilla, you can already have something similar to Toussaint lighting in the game, maybe its slightly improved but nothing major compared to vanilla, just looking at how geralt is lit confirm it, he still carry a projector behind him and he pop out on shadowed area ( altho slightly less in B&W from what i noticed )

what make Toussaint look naturally better than vanilla is the more neutral colorful toneMapping curve and colorgrading and generally the scene composition, and the improved foliage compared to the yellow/greenish tone of let say novigrad with very high fog hiding everything

something am sure of is that they definitely scaled back the blue distant fog, you can see really far in toussaint, and that is controlled by a lighting parameter not the fog parameters, am aslo surprised that they managed to make Toussaint looks like that on the consoles, so maybe thats what they meant by lighting improvements

Last edited:
its definitely the same lighting system as vanilla, you can already have something similar to Toussaint lighting in the game, maybe its slightly improved but nothing major compared to vanilla, just looking at how geralt is lit confirm it, he still carry a projector behind him and he pop out on shadowed area ( altho slightly less in B&W from what i noticed )

what make Toussaint look naturally better than vanilla is the more neutral colorful toneMapping curve and colorgrading and generally the scene composition, and the improved foliage compared to the yellow/greenish tone of let say novigrad with very high fog hiding everything

something am sure of is that they definitely scaled back the blue distant fog, you can see really far in toussaint, and that is controlled by a lighting parameter not the fog parameters,

I'll take your word for it as you know far more about this than I do ;) But B&W really does look a whole lot better though, much better than how I thought it would look to be honest. I'm surprised at not only the amount of new assets, but the quality of them as well.

That's why they need to do something for the base game. The base game looks paltry by comparison, with too many flaws and compromises for the consoles due to the earlier state of the Red Engine 3. With the new updates though, Red Engine 3 has improved considerably but is still nowhere near the standard of the major 3D engines like UE4, CryEngine and Frostbite 3 etcetera...

am aslo surprised that they managed to make Toussaint looks like that on the consoles, so maybe thats what they meant by lighting improvements

All the footage we've seen so far is from the PC version if I'm not mistaken, so we won't know for sure how far the extent of the compromises for the console versions goes until the final game launches.

I'll take your word for it as you know far more about this than I do ;) But B&W really does look a whole lot better though, much better than how I thought it would look to be honest. I'm surprised at not only the amount of new assets, but the quality of them as well.

That's why they need to do something for the base game. The base game looks paltry by comparison, with too many flaws and compromises for the consoles due to the earlier state of the Red Engine 3. With the new updates though, Red Engine 3 has improved considerably but is still nowhere near the standard of the major 3D engines like UE4, CryEngine and Frostbite 3 etcetera...

All the footage we've seen so far is from the PC version if I'm not mistaken, so we won't know for sure how far the extent of the compromises for the console versions goes until the final game launches.

yeah Toussaint definitely look better, i think they clearly listened to what peoples complained about, like too much fog and weird colorgrading choices from vanilla ( its mainly tonemapping parameters from what i discovered recently ), i personally knew that the engine could do that but i didnt though that they would do it, but they just did, so at least they took our feedback into consideration

the problem with the base game is that its way too big, and they used many " tricks " to fix/hide some stuff, you also have to take in consideration everysingle cutscene from the main game when tweaking the lighting not just the zones themselves

while am not a fan of the current lighting system its ok, it does its job well for 3 different platforms, UE4 and CryEngine as you mentioned all have superior solutions than whats the current lighting in RedEngine 3, but her's the thing, they have an alternate lighting system that they used for the old demo wich was dynamique IBL, but it got scrapped by the time the game got released, and it looked miles ahead of the current lighting system, a perfect beauty

so its matter of how much they want to invest again in the game, changing the lighting system is no easy task and it would require lots of work so actually its not even worth it to update the current one to B&W level for example, the work is so big that they could just simply change it to IBL at that point, BUT this is all just assumptions, am just talking out of my ass ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

as for consoles i dont know, am assuming it will look fairly similar since they gone the parity route

Last edited:

cyseal

RedEngine 3 is awesome but IMO does need particle system overhaul.

It's important to put things in perspective.

Which would be : list any game released in 2015 or 2016 and whose graphics look better than TW3. At the end of the day, you won't get a big list. Now, put this in perspective with the game size (open world / corridor game) and in perspective with its budget.

It's important to put things in perspective.

Which would be : list any game released in 2015 or 2016 and whose graphics look better than TW3. At the end of the day, you won't get a big list. Now, put this in perspective with the game size (open world / corridor game) and in perspective with its budget.

nobody says the witcher 3 isn´t good is amazing but B&W with his improvements is not better than some trailers, screenshots or gameplays demo showed time ago...

https://youtu.be/ztruDvW2Rj8

@cyseal Jose Teixeira said in a recent interview that they are upgrading some of the tools and systems of the engine as they are continuing the development of CP2077 based on the feedback from devs that they got in the development process of Witcher 3 and its expansions. One of the major overhauls is about the particle editor apparently. He said that "My particle editor is being redone completely". So, we might see some changes in CP2077 ;)

well if ever they release REDkit for the masses maybe (through some miracle) they might be swayed to release the old renderer's binaries so that modders can re-compile the game :D (way too much hopeful wishing, i know)

cyseal

@cyseal Jose Teixeira said in a recent interview that they are upgrading some of the tools and systems of the engine as they are continuing the development of CP2077 based on the feedback from devs that they got in the development process of Witcher 3 and its expansions. One of the major overhauls is about the particle editor apparently. He said that "My particle editor is being redone completely". So, we might see some changes in CP2077 ;)

Hey, that great! Thanks for thr info. Did he tell which particle system will they implement ?

Top Bottom