Graveyard round categories and Mystic Echo

+
Suggestion:

Categorise the Graveyard into Rounds - 1, 2 and 3.
Card that enter the Graveyard during a particular Round are listed under that Round category.
If a card leaves the Graveyard (eg ressurected, shuffled into deck, etc), and then re-enters the Graveyard for whatever reason (removal, usage, etc), it naturally gets listed under the current Round category.

Mystic Echo is changed to the following:
Play a ST special card from your Deck, or a previous Round in the Graveyard.

This means in Round 1 it would function only as a special card tutor from Deck.
In Round 2, it can play any ST special card under the Graveyard Round 1 section, or tutor a ST special from Deck.
In Round 3 it can play any ST special card under Graveyard Rounds 1 and 2 sections, or again tutor a ST special from Deck.

Reasoning: This would prevent any ability to double up the same special card in the same round (eg WoB), while still maintaining the speical card "echo" flavour of this leader ability and using a powerful special card across separate Rounds.
Secondly with that interaction prevented, it may also be possible to un**** improve Harmony as an archetype, which in general was not excessively problematic with other leader abilities. Not saying to revert, because it wasn't the most interesting design anyway, but certainly give space to improve it in a more interesting way.

I don't like your Idea simbly because it over comlicates the game. Either the Graveyard is banished at a given time or it stays the whole time.
You could though tweek a card in its effect if its played from graveyard or add an initiative tag to it or just have it check for itself beeing allready played this round. As I think about it, a check for itself with a strong but not totally whacking diminishing return would be the best option. The option should remain if you are forced to choose it, but the payoff for doublepay should be weak but slightly better then using ME on tempering. Spawn one fledgling + some fix points like vitality 2 or another 4p drayed with denied deploy efect

I don't like your Idea simbly because it over comlicates the game. Either the Graveyard is banished at a given time or it stays the whole time.
You could though tweek a card in its effect if its played from graveyard or add an initiative tag to it or just have it check for itself beeing allready played this round. As I think about it, a check for itself with a strong but not totally whacking diminishing return would be the best option. The option should remain if you are forced to choose it, but the payoff for doublepay should be weak but slightly better then using ME on tempering. Spawn one fledgling + some fix points like vitality 2 or another 4p drayed with denied deploy efect
Sure there are a number of different possibilities that would work here.

Main thing is the outcome of preventing ME being able to abuse strong specials - even thinking back to eg Novigradian Justice with Dwarven Mercenary firing squad, which ended up in NJ being changed.

Otherwise it seems that ME has constantly been the source of all these problems, but changes have happened around the issue rather than appearing to deal with ME itself - or even change ability to something entirely different.

Now most recent casualty is the complete Harmony archetype (though don't get me wrong - it wasn't the most interesting thing to play, and not even lore friendly with everyone coming together like a big hippie gathering - though the point being no other ST leader ability caused such problems, so while strong eg with things like Call of Harmony or other leaders, things could have potentially been adjusted through smaller individual changes), simply because this leader ability continues to cause problems, so the outcome instead has been to disincentivise use in a particular way. and possibly also continuing to limit design of future ST special cards.

I prefer the solution hundreds of people, me included, have made before, which is to just set provision cap of 10 to the mystic echo ability (and second wind), so it cannot target waters of brokkilon. problem is, there isnt rly another card you would want that leader for apart from maybe call or council but then again, discussing harmony is beating a dead horse anyway

I prefer the solution hundreds of people, me included, have made before, which is to just set provision cap of 10 to the mystic echo ability (and second wind), so it cannot target waters of brokkilon. problem is, there isnt rly another card you would want that leader for apart from maybe call or council but then again, discussing harmony is beating a dead horse anyway
Certainly would be fine with this, though am also thinking of space for future ST specials - obviously no idea what, but assuming there may be more problem cards in future expansions which may have lower provision cost than this limit.

Whatever players may think of Mystic Echo, this suggestion is just too convoluted.

Anyhow, "tutor" leaders (technically not ME, but still counts because of its utility) are problematic to begin with. You either pull out broken combos or the tutor leader has no good targets and fades into oblivion. Trying to balance this is next to impossible with every expansion adding new, potentially nasty combos. There is no easy way to fix this. I did make a suggestion about it a while ago.

PS. This also applies to the issue with Second Wind.

Whatever players may think of Mystic Echo, this suggestion is just too convoluted.

Anyhow, "tutor" leaders (technically not ME, but still counts because of its utility) are problematic to begin with. You either pull out broken combos or the tutor leader has no good targets and fades into oblivion. Trying to balance this is next to impossible with every expansion adding new, potentially nasty combos. There is no easy way to fix this. I did make a suggestion about it a while ago.

PS. This also applies to the issue with Second Wind.
I actually support the idea of removing leader abilities that play additional cards in the same turn (either ressurect or tutor from deck) and replacing with more thematic, archetype supporting abilities.

And then have tutors/resses be cards in the deck instead - eg Royal Decree, 1k Fables, Oneiromancy, Matta and so on.

It's the ability to either duplicate one powerful effect (eg WoB), or play two cards in one turn (eg Pincer/CoH etc) that generally causes problems - on that note it's also worth pointing out how Summoning Circle was changed in a similar way.

It's a big job for them, also to come up with interesting leader abilities beyond boost/damage, but the outcome could be beneficial overall.

It's the ability to either duplicate one powerful effect (eg WoB), or play two cards in one turn (eg Pincer/CoH etc) that generally causes problems - on that note it's also worth pointing out how Summoning Circle was changed in a similar way.
^
[tutor leaders] suffer from the same issue. Not only does it limit design space, it also allows unpleasant combos for the same reason Summoning Circle was nerfed.

Top Bottom